Monday, November 13, 2017

VITAMINS AND DEATH -- RED RIBBONS

Quote for the Week: 

I know this is late, but I did not post on the weekend and wanted to honor our heroes. 

I have a couple of reviews for you from books I recently read. Enjoy.




VITAMINS AND DEATH

By Medeia Sharif



Imagine a school where the teachers have little to no control. Imagine a school where boys take turns with girls in the restroom, while another boy stands guard outside the door. To me, it’s difficult to think that schools like this exist, but Author Medeia Sharif opened my eyes to the fact that some schools may indeed be like the one in her novel VITAMINS AND DEATH.


Deidra Battle attends such a school after her mother lost her previous teaching job for having an affair with a student. Deidra lives in fear that others will discover she is the daughter of the woman that made the scandal everyone read about. She also has to deal with a mother who lives on pills. 
Deidra just wants to get through the next few months, graduate, and attend the local college. Is that asking too much?


My heart broke for Deidra. No child or teen should have to live in fear of the students at school and especially not of their mother.  The author has created a family that unfortunately may be too real. All through the novel I kept hoping good things would happen for Deidra.


The language is rough and some scenes are graphic. Ms. Sharif tells it like it is. This story is not for young teens, but older teens might find a lesson in it. Another good novel about life from Medeia Sharif. 

###




RED RIBBONS

By Hanne Arts



Being a teenager is not easy. Even a healthy teen has problems. But if a girl, or boy, has health issues, life can seem impossible. In Author Hanne Arts latest novel, RED RIBBON, Christina has anorexia, as well as other problems. She hates her body. She loves her boyfriend, Filip, who has his own life to deal with. Christina keeps a diary that allows the reader to see her emotions, to feel her challenges, and to hope that she finds herself, the girl that she can be.


RED RIBBON is a heartbreaking story that will have you wishing you could tell Chrissy that she’s beautiful, and her family loves her, and she can be healed. The author has written a book that young people who have self-image problems or eating disorders or other ideas that make them feel inferior should read. This novel would be a great addition to middle grade and high school libraries.

The author sent me a copy of the book for my honest review.

### 

Happy Reading. I think I'll read a fun story next. 

18 comments:

  1. Yes, two intense stories. Glad you liked Medeia's book. Will be curious to see what you read next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie. All of Medeia;s books are great. She knows how to write a story that stays with a person. I have several books to read just not sure which one to read next. Have a great week.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like they both have their pulse on teenage angst and reasons for it. Both sound like good reads. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do, Karin. And life is not pretty for every teen, that's for sure. You're welcome. Have a great week.

      Delete
  3. Sure sounds like two good ones, but making you think how good many have it in high school and teenage years compared to what could happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, Pat. Unless a person has been there, they have no idea how awful life can be like. I was blessed with a loving family.

      Delete
  4. Some teens do face a really hard life. We fostered enough kids to see that reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be heartbreaking to see what some children and teens go through, Diane. My mother was a foster child, but she had loving parents. Have a great week.

      Delete
  5. I suspected Medeia's book was gritty and real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OIh, yes, Alex. Medeia speaks the truth, which sometimes is tragic. It's so sad to know that some children live this way.

      Delete
  6. I'm imagining that story of Medeia's. Love those gritty realistic teen stories. They need to be out there. Congrats to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's great at writing them, c lee. She gets the message across.

      Delete
  7. Two very good stories well revied.
    Lovely quote.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. I thought the quote was a good one too. Now to find a fun story to read next.

      Delete
  8. Vitamins sand Death is on my Kindle. I need to read it. Medeia is so go writing darker stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sure is, and this book is a dark one, like only Medeia can write.

      Delete
  9. I love Medeia's work. Thanks for the reminder that I haven't read Vitamins and Death yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her books really make me step out of my comfortable world and see how others may live. I've been wanting to read it for awhile. Glad I did. Happy to remind you. :)

      Delete