Wednesday, November 1, 2017

INSECURE WRITERS SUPPORT GROUP

It's November 1st, and you know what that means. IWSG. I'm going to post this then settle in to watch the World Series. My team isn't in it, but it's been a great series. Lots of home runs. The most a World Series has ever had, I think the announcer said.

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. Be sure to link to this page and display the badge in your post.

Ninja Alex J. Cavanaugh is the founder of IWSG, 

Our Twitter is @TheIWSG and hashtag #IWSG

His awesome co-hosts for the November 1 posting of the IWSG are Tonja Drecker, Diane Burton, MJ Fifield,  and Rebecca Douglass!

Stop by their blogs and say "Thank You."


Every month, we announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG Day post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. 

Remember, the question is optional!!!

November 1st question: Win or not, do you usually finish your NaNo project? Have any of them gone on to be published?

This is an interesting question. I've never participated in the NaNo project. Never really wanted to. I think it's mostly because I don't do well under pressure. Some daysL I write several pages of a story. Other days I write only a couple. So saying I have to write so many words a day would not work for me. For one thing, I don't count words. And, I have trouble going on until I'm satisfied with what I've written. In the first draft, I'm not so picky, but I still write slow. So don't give me a word number to write. I couldn't do it. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Happy Writing to you all.



Listen to the butterfly!


30 comments:

  1. I too have never taken part in the NaNo, Love the butterfly picture, I once wrote a poem entitled "Fragile As A Butterfly".
    Enjoy your Novemeber Beverly and thanks for your friendship.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. Butterflies fascinate me. Your poem sound fascinating. Yes, butterflies are so fragile, yet they fly hundreds of miles in their lifetime. Amazing. You have a great November too. Your friendship is priceless to me.

      Delete
  2. I'm too busy to do NaNo, but I don't think it would work for me either for the same reasons that you mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe if we had the choice of when to do NaNo, it would be possible, Natalie. But I'm really not excited about it. I don't mind being the turtle that's slow. I get there eventually.

      Delete
  3. I have too many other priorities in life to participate. I don't need that kind of pressure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do not see how you accomplish everything you do, Diane. You have to be well organized to do so.

      Delete
  4. We all write in our own way, best to stick to it when it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Pat. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for others. That's one of the great things about writing, in my opinion. We can choose how we prefer to write.

      Delete
  5. I don't count words either, except when I'm doing such a good job cutting out unnecessary scenes I have not much story left. Then, I worry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha,ha, I hear you, Jacqui. It's weird how we love a scene but when we go back, it doesn't look the same as we thought and out it goes. And then you create new scenes that work just right.

      Delete
  6. NaNo works for many people. I'm not one of them. I know my writing style, what works for me. We all should do what works for us. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does, Diane, and good for them. You're so right. Writers are all different. That's what makes stories neat; our work reveals us, if that makes sense. Have a great rest of the week.

      Delete
  7. I hear you. The pressure kills me too. I did NaNo with a novel was enjoying, but after the crazy of 50K, (and yes, I made it,) I pretty much despised the book. It wasn't a joy to write any longer and was such a mess I wished I'd never done NaNo. So I'm there with you. I find there's less editing and discouragement if I take my time on the first draft--which means two or three months...around everything else going on. Maybe that number will change when all the little are out of the house...in 20 years. =)

    So I'm super behind, and I think you already saw it, but I nominated you for an award last month. Yeah... Then I didn't go around and tell everyone like I'm supposed to, so checking that one off the list. LOL. Cheese to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are amazing, Crystal. I do not know how you find time to write with your little ones needing your attention. I just have cats and they take up lots of my time. (So, they're spoiled.) Two or three months sounds great for a first draft.

      Yes, you told me about the award. Yes, I forgot. I must go back and do it. Never too late, huh?

      Enjoy your little ones. They grow up way too fast. Have a great rest of the week.

      Delete
  8. I write slow, but something like NaNo is what it takes to kick my butt into gear. I'm just a lazy writer at heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great that it works for you, Alex. That's what's so neat about writing. We each can do it our own way. Yes, sometimes it's difficult to get busy on a story. A lot of other things are fun to do. Have a great rest of the week.

      Delete
  9. I've never done NaNo either, Beverly. In theory, I love the idea of completing it; however, I stink at blocking out life and all else to do so. I think I would need a solid idea and in depth outline/framework from which to work if I were going to attempt to be successful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is important, Karin. All we have is the moment and then it's gone. We choose how to spend that moment, and there are many choices to make. Especially where children are involved. They grow up fast and minutes with them are precious. Have a super rest of the week.

      Delete
  10. I have NaNo pom poms, and that's as close to it as I go. I don't need more pressure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pom poms? I didn't know there was such a thing, lee. Yay, yay! Sounds like enough for me.

      Delete
  11. I did participate once. I think you can do the same thing by just giving yourself a set # of pages per day as a goal. It is a LOT of writing in one month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes sense, Stephanie. We set our own goals and limits, spacing them out to our needs. After I've been writing for a period of time, my brain grows tired. No point trying to write after that. Playtime then.

      Delete
  12. Haha, Beverly! I'm watching the World Series right now! It's been a great series! I'm a slow writer, and I fear I'd crash and burn with NaNo. That said, I can see a lot of reasons for trying it ~ maybe next year! Have a great November!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fundy. A great November to you too. Yes, never say never. Trying NaNo might be fun. It's been a great series, even though my team isn't in it.

      Delete
  13. I guess sticking to what you can do and when is best. Warm greetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Blogoratti. I agree that when we find something that works it's best to stay with it, maybe try something different occasionally, but I'm more comfortable with the same old routine. :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  14. If you feel the pressure of NaNo would be too much for you and you already write as much as you want to, then I think you're quite right to avoid it.

    I am having a go this year, because I've been lazy recently and think the pressure might actually be a good thing for me at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Patsy. We each have to do what we're comfortable with.

      Best of luck to you. Hope it sparks lots of great words and your story just blossoms.

      Delete
  15. I only participated once, but I finished in seven days thanks to fast drafting. I decided NaNo isn't really designed for me, and that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seven days. Amazing. NaNo isn't for everyone, true. I'm too slow for it. :)

      Delete