Monday, October 30, 2017

BEST. NIGHT. EVER REVIEW - #INKRIPPLES - HALLOIWEEN

Happy Halloween, a day early. 

I have a couple of things to talk about today.

First a book review of a wonderful, fun story I read recently.



BEST. NIGHT. EVER.


A STORY TOLD FROM SEVEN POINTS OF VIEW


By Rachele Alpine, Ronni Arno, Alison Cherry, Stephanie Faris, Jen Malone, Gail Nail, and Dee Romito



Remember those good old days of Middle School or Junior High? How could you forget them, right? It was a time of change, a time of parties, and a time of lots of “firsts.” First crushes, along with disappointments, broken hearts, and also some humor. Yes, humor, if not so much for the middle grade students as for the readers of BEST. NIGHT. EVER by Rachele Alpine, Ronni Arno, Alison Cherry, Stephanie Faris, Jen Malone, Gail Nail, and Dee Romito.


This novel is such a fun story, even though the students, at times, did not think what happened to them was fun. Some of the incidents sure reminded me of emotions running wild and feelings easily hurt back in my middle school days. In BEST. NIGHT. EVER, we meet Carmen, Genevieve, Ellie, Ashlyn, Ryan, Jade, and Tess, each with a story to tell. The authors do a splendid job of catching the emotions and voices of middle school kids.


We see the big night with its expectations and all that happens through the eyes and hearts of each character. Middle school students and even older teens, not to mention older folks like me, should enjoy reading this book. Recommended for school libraries, classrooms, and your own personal library.

Available at Amazon and other places where great books are found.


Now, let's talk about

#InkRipples



#InkRipples is a monthly meme created by Kai Strand, Mary Waibel, ad Katie L. Carroll. They post on the first Monday (or sometimes other Mondays) of every month with a new topic. You're invited to post your own Ripples. Just be sure and link to Kai, Mary, and Katie.

October's Topic is CAREER VS. HOBBY

(Yes, I know this is the last Monday, not the first. Be nice.)

So, what is my writing? I think, in the beginning, it was a hobby. I was still teaching and had little time for another career, really did not want one because I enjoyed teaching. Then one day, I was reading a children's magazine. I don't recall which magazine, but that little light bulb above my head turned on. My students loved the magazines. They had neat stories in them and interesting articles. Mmm. We did a lot of fun things in science and art. Would these magazines be interested in our work? Well, I'd never know until I tried, right? 

So, I wrote a couple of articles, sent them off and forgot about them. Then one day I came home from school, glanced at my mail and guess what? Yep, HAPPINESS, a TV Guide type of magazine, had published the article I sent them and a check was enclosed. My first earnings as a writer. It was about having fire drills in the home, like we had at school.

From there I decided to try fiction. By the time I retired from teaching, my writing had switched from a hobby to a career. And that's what it is today. My career.
###

And, if you're in the mood for a spooky read to celebrate Halloween, check these out from Dancing Lemur Press.



Bloodwalker
Parallels: Felix Was Here
Hero Lost: Mysteries of Death and Life
Matowak: Woman Who Cries
Maski: Broken but not Dead

Look out for flying ghosts and clanking skeletons, or maybe a sweet kitty on a broomstick.

Happy Reading!


20 comments:

  1. Happy Halloween to you Beverly, Great reviews on both books. It's good to read reviews before purchasing.
    Have a good week.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvonne. Reviews do help us decide whether we'd enjoy a book or if it isn't a subject we like to read. Have a super week.

      Delete
  2. Glad you liked the book that Stephanie is part of. And awesome that your writing is now your career. Mine is too, but it's contract writing because I still need steady income to live. It's not that much money, but I am living on writing now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie is a great writer for children of this age, Natalie. I've read several of her books. All are super. I understand about the necessary income. It's great that you have the steady income. I ought to try something else because I sure can't live off of my royalties. Thank goodness I have my teacher's pension, such as it is. It buys groceries. :) Have a lovely week.

      Delete
  3. I think I'd rather forget those teen years.
    I suppose writing is like a second career. Or rather third for me.
    Some scary good reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are things about those years I imagine most of us would like to forget, Alex. As we get older, the memories grow dimmer, at least for me. I seem to remember the good things, not the bad. A third career is good. Keeps you busy.

      Delete
  4. I love reading how you got started. Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Misha. I think it's fun to see how writers became writers. Happy to share. Have a super week.

      Delete
  5. Great post, Beverly. Those are crazy years for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin. Yes, they were. I think I'm still in my early years at times. Otherwise, why do I enjoy reading mg/tween books so much? :) Have a lovely week.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for participating in the Scary Good Reads.

    Publishing is more of a career for me now, but the writing will return one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote myself a note not to forget about the spooky stories today, Diane. Will Tweet and post on Face Book this afternoon. And when the writing returns, you'll have a great time with new stories. Have a super week.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a great one with different perspectives. That is a great way to start, accepted and a check, then onward from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun read, Pat. Yep, I have the money in a picture frame as a reminder of my first sale. Have a super week.

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for this great review! I tagged my fellow authors so they could see it and share. I'm still so honored to have been part of a book with so many talented authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Stephanie. I love the story. It's so much fun and I could picture the kids as they each faced their own situations. I think middle grade classes should assign it as a reading since it's so true to life. It would make for some great discussions. Congratulations to all the authors.

      Delete
  9. Seven is a lot of perspectives! It sounds like a fun book. Thanks for participating in #InkRipples. I consider writing my career too - which I explain in my own post. Somehow, I think the IRS is growing a bit leery on that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is, Kai. They did a nice job. #InkRipples is fun too, although mine doesn't add a lot. I haven't made enough income to worry about the IRS. I do have to pay a state tax to Texas for every book I sell myself or give away.

      Delete
  10. Best. Night. Ever. looks like such a fun story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Chrys. It is. It brings back memories, though mine are a lot different than these kids experience in the book. Different times.

      Delete