Monday, September 18, 2017

TALK LIKE A PIRATE DAY

Quote for the week:

Ahoy there, Mateys. September 19 is Talk Like a Pirate Day. Okay, I know today is September 18. Just posting a day early.  You can wait until tomorrow to read it if you like.

On Talk Like a Pirate Day everyone's supposed to say "Ahoy Matey" instead of "Hello." How did this  holiday get started?  In 1996 during a racketball game between John Baur and Mark Summers one of them was injured, and someone reacted with an "Aaaarrrr" and the idea was born.

At first an inside joke between two friends, the holiday gained exposure when Baur and Summers sent a letter about their invented holiday to the American syndicated humor columnist Dave Barry in 2002.Barry liked the idea and promoted the day. Growing media coverage of the holiday after Barry's column has ensured that this event is now celebrated internationally, and Baur and Summers now sell books and T-shirts related to the theme on their website. Part of the success for the international spread of the holiday has been attributed to non-restriction of the idea or non-trademarking, in effect opening the holiday to creativity and "viral" growth.


"Cap'n Slappy" and "Ol' Chumbucket", the founders of Talk Like a Pirate Day




The association of pirates with peglegsparrots, and treasure maps, popularized in Robert Louis Stevenson's novel Treasure Island (1883), has had a significant influence on parody pirate culture.Talk Like a Pirate Day is celebrated with hidden Easter egg features in many games and websites, with Facebook introducing a pirate-translated version of its website on Talk Like a Pirate Day 2008 and publisher O'Reilly discounting books on the R programming language to celebrate.

Source: Wikipedia

Oh, yes, I have a pirate story too, with Bonnet and Blackbeard. A Pirate, A Blockade Runner, and a Cat for tween/teen readers. (You knew there had to be a cat somewhere, of course.)



The ebook is just 0.99 for now. A bargain.

Happy Reading


16 comments:

  1. Your quote is so very true Beverly,
    Loved the review, made excellent reading.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Yvonne. So nice to hear from you. Have a lovely week.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know they had talk like a pirate day. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow when it's the official day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie. Pirates are such fun. I learned a lot about them researching for my story.

      Delete
  3. It's now listed as an unofficial international holiday. (I know, as I went through the list this weekend. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unofficial? There are a lot of those, Diane. I guess most anyone can come up with a new holiday. Mmm, that might work into a book. I go through the list a lot too. :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Just proves we learn something everyday, Alex.

      Delete
  5. Never knew that was how it started. All it takes is one little thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Pat. It's amazing what we can learn on the Internet. All that really important stuff. :)

      Delete
  6. I had no idea how Talk Like a Pirate Day came to be. Now I know. Definitely interesting. Thanks for sharing. :)

    That is a bargain for your book! Sounds like a great read.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was interesting, too, Jess.
      Thanks. :)

      Delete
  7. My birthday's on Talk Like a Pirate Day. So I'm waiting for the day someone sings Happy Birthday to You to me in pirate voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that would be interesting, Stephanie. I hope someone does. Me? I don't have that pirate voice. Has someone yet? :)

      Delete