Monday, September 4, 2017

INK RIPPLES

Quote for the week:  To  the world you may be just one person, but to one person you may be the world.  Brandi Snyder

INK RIPPLES

#InkRipples is a monthly meme created by Kai Strand, Mary Waibel, and Katie L. Carroll. They post on the first Monday of every month with a new topic.


The idea of #InkRipples is to toss a word, idea, image, whatever into the inkwell and see what kind of ripples it makes. You can spread your own ripples, just be sure to include links back to Katie, Kai, and Mary.

Or you can share your thoughts on social media using the hashtag #InkRipples. Tag Katie, Kai, or Mary and they'll share your posts.

The topic for September is World Building
October is Career vs. Hobby
November is Finishing that book
December is Goals

So, when I first thought of World Building, my life came to mind. We build our own worlds as we grow older and leave the comfort of our parents. That idea did not last long. Aren't you grateful? Then I thought of my stories. I build a world for each of them, the way those of you who are authors do. Without a world, whether it's the real world, a fantasy world, or any of the many kinds of worlds out there, our characters just float around in nothing. I think, anyhow. That's the fun part about writing. We can create any world we want to, as long as it makes sense and works with the story.

My imagination does not come up with other worlds like in science fiction, however, so my novels are all contemporary set in the real world. I do have a couple of stories with ghosts in them, but they're a part of this world. I'm working on an idea now with an angel as one of the characters but the story takes place in the real world.

Usually, my work starts with the characters, then I place them in their world. Most of the time it's a present day world, though I do have a couple of historical novels, which called for a world different than today's world in many ways even though they're still the same in some ways. Anyway, the fun is planning the world that the characters live in, because it affects their lives. If they live in the city their lives will be different to those who live in the country. If they're young or old, their world will be different. My world today is a lot different than when I was in school, or even when I was teaching. Yes, the physical world may still be the same, but what about a person's place in that world. What if they live in the slums of a big city? Their world is totally different to the characters that live in mansions.

World Building tells us a lot about people and their lives, whether we're reading a book about someone or creating our own world. Now, those of you that write fantasy and science fiction create fabulous worlds that put your characters in new worlds.

And now that I've totally confused you, I'll stop because I have no idea what I'm talking about. One thing I'd like to say, however, the cover of your novel can tell the reader a lot about the world in that story. For example, look at the cover for UNDER A PURPLE MOON. Doesn't that old house give you a clue or hint about what might be happening in the novel?

Anyhow, happy reading.



The old house is an important part of the story.

12 comments:

  1. World building sure can be fun. But yeah, the characters come first when I start too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Pat, the characters are important to me too. They sort of dictate their world, in a way.

      Delete
  2. Love, love, love the quote, Beverly! World building is fun:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it too, Karin. Yes, it is. Especially writers that create totally new worlds. Looks like lots of fun.

      Delete
  3. Most of mine are based in the real world although one of the short stories for my next book is set in another world. World building here & now is so much easier. Google and Google Earth really help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That story in another world has me curious now. Will have to take a look when it's completed. Yes, they do help. We can find most anything we want on the Internet.

      Delete
  4. I've never written a book that requires world building in the sci-fi since. But I do create imaginary towns...they're usually based on real places I've been, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking places you've been and creating a town from them is a great idea, Stephanie.

      Delete
  5. I admire a writer who can build a world that's so far from what I've ever experienced and yet make me believe I'm there. It takes a lot of talent and hard work to do it right. Loved the post, especially the part about not knowing what you're talking about. I smiled at that. I so often have to say the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, c lee. My imagination just doesn't work that way. So I stay with the familiar. Haha. Yeah, I seldom know what I'm talking about.

      Delete
  6. World building is fun! It's important to keep everything straight- so notes are very important (especially for fantasy or sci-fi worlds). :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine writing fantasy or sci-fi worlds would be fun, Jess. Never tried it. Maybe someday.

      Delete