Monday, August 28, 2017

WHAT IS YOUR FAMILY'S STORY?

Quote for the week:

Have you ever researched your family? If not, you might want to. You can discover amazing things about your ancestors. You might even write a book about them.

Several years ago I had a distant cousin that was researching one of my family lines. She sent me a lot of great information. I sent her what little I had. It was so much fun learning about my kin that I was hooked. Yep, the genealogy bug bit me, and today I have a whole bookcase filled with albums of different families. This was all on my dad's side of the family. But I knew nothing about my mom. So, she came next. Her background led me down a path I never had imagined. And, yes, I wrote a book, loosely based on her story. 

Many of you already know Mom was not an orphan. She lived with her mother, father, and five siblings in a tenement in Brooklyn, New York. 


This is where they lived.

Her mother died, but her father was still alive. In today's culture, the dads would keep the family together, at least they'd try to. Times were different in the early 1920's and her father could not take care of his six children, so he gave them up and they went to an orphanage. 


The children were scattered in different directions. My mom and the youngest girl were sent West on what is now called the Orphan Train. That's how she went from Brooklyn to Texas. So you see why I had to tell her story, although most of it is fictional because I do not know what her early life was like. She never talked about it. But she had a caring foster family. I changed the names of the characters for privacy, and events may or may not have happened. Mom's mother and father were my grandparents, as far as I knew. I never heard them say the word "foster children." I hope my mom would approve of the way I told her story.


So, how about it? Are you ready to learn about your ancestors? Or have you already researched your family? Every family has a story. What is yours?
 AMAZON      BARNES AND NOBLE    



Happy Reading!

20 comments:

  1. So interesting, Beverly! Thanks for sharing. I think researching family would be awesome. I have not done so however. Someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin. I think you would enjoy it, but research can be time consuming. The results are worth it though.

      Delete
  2. I've sneaked details in from family in the past. Haven't really done a story around it though. Might work. I'll add it to the growing piles of to dos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you never know, Pat. I'm familiar with those piles of to dos. Which to do next.

      Delete
  3. If the family is bound by love the word foster never needs to enter the picture.

    My mom researched a ton on her side. My grandfather came from Denmark, so I am a quarter Dane. My father's side is really interesting. My great-great grandfather was the Chinese Ambassador to the Emperor and I still have artifacts her brought back from the late 1800's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right, Diane. I guess that's the reason I never heard the word "foster."
      Chinese Ambassador. Wow! There definitely is a story there. How exciting to have artifacts of the times too.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure your mom's very pleased with your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your always kind comments, Lee. Maybe she'll tell me so in a dream.

      Delete
  5. What a great family story Beverly.
    Sad to say at the moment mine is a far cry from wonderful.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. Life can change, and I'm praying yours does in the best of ways.

      Delete
  6. That's a great story. And it makes the one you wrote that much special.

    I've tried to do some research into my family. I'd love to do more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrys. Research does take a lot of time, but it's such fun to meet distant cousins and see pictures of them. I've met a couple on Face Book, so you never know.

      Delete
  7. I love that you wrote a book based on your mom's experience (or loosely based on it). I was so surprised when I learned about the orphan trains a few years ago (I think on your blog).

    I have been more and more interested in my family history the older I get. I have to look into it. I know my mom would help me- so I should start with her side. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hanks, Jess. I just had to do it.

      It's easier to do family research if there are others who have great information and pictures, like parents, grandparents, cousins, etc. I've received some lovely photos from cousins I just met. If you decide to research your family, enjoy what you discover.

      Delete
  8. I love the story behind the story. I'm sure your mother would approve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly. It would be nice to know the "little" things, the details. I should have been curious about her life earlier.

      Delete
  9. I haven't really dove into my family history, but I SO respect all the work you've done looking into yours. Not just that, but you've honored that history by writing about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to learn how your ancestors lived, and surprising sometimes too, Stephanie. I'm so glad I wrote the story, just wish it was more accurate.

      Delete
  10. This is so interesting! Thanks for sharing your family history.


    www.ficklemillennial.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gina. Discovering how my parents lived has been interesting. There's so much information available to help us learn about our families. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete