Monday, August 7, 2017

BABYMOUSE TALES FROM THE LOCKER REVIEW

Quote for the week:

Today I'd like to share one of the funniest books for middle-grade readers I've read. Welcome Babymouse in her latest novel, BABYMOUSE TALES FROM THE LOCKER.





BABYMOUSE TALES FROM THE LOCKER

By Jennifer L. Holm & Matthew Holm


Middle School. The years between being children and teens. The years where everything changes. In BABYMOUSE: TALES FROM THE LOCKER by best-selling authors Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm, Babymouse is now in middle school, and it’s like a “monster movie” with “spooky creatures” to quote Babymouse in her own words. And then there’s the whiskers. Yeah, the whiskers.


Babymouse tells her story of what middle school is like, and what a story it is. From whiskers, to wanting to be famous, to wanting a private jet, to a locker that possibly contains a monster, and trying to figure out who her friends are, Babymouse keeps the reader, at least this reader, laughing and turning pages to see what she does next.


Then she decides to join the Film Club, and when problems arise Babymouse has her own unique ways of solving them.


I can picture not only middle school kids but teens and even adults following each adventure as middle school readers realize they may be facing the same or similar situations that Babymouse faces. And older readers might nod as they remember those confusing years.


Black and white drawings by B&W illustrations add humor to the scenes. If anyone can read this story without laughing and perhaps even learning a thing or two about middle school, they need to read it again. BABYMOUSE: Tales from the Locker would make a great addition to middle school classrooms and libraries, as well as your own library. Highly recommended.

I was sent an ARC of the novel.

Happy Reading. (And I'm not fond of mice. This one is different.)

16 comments:

  1. Great quote and review Beverly.
    I must say anyone who teaches must possess much patience. Enjoy your week.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. I did not teach middle school, but toward the end of the year my 5th graders sometimes started acting like middle school kids.

      Delete
  2. What I remember of middle school was awful. Not a fun period in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sorry, Alex. Those are tough years for kids. Maybe books like this one will help them get through those years.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a fun one. Can't say I minded middle school, only one school I hated and only had to stay there a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does keep the reader laughing, Pat, although to the students it's serious business. Middle school was okay for me.

      Delete
  4. Great post, Beverly. I have a middle schooler now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the fun begins, Karin. I think most kids do fine in middle school. It's just a period of change. My boys made it through.

      Delete
  5. What an adorable cover! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The illustrations throughout the book add to the fun, c lee. Of course to the kids it wasn't exactly fun.

      Delete
  6. That book looks ADORABLE!!! I love funny books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first Baby Mouse book I've read, Stephanie, but it is funny. I imagine mg readers will love it.

      Delete
  7. I have heard great things about Baby Mouse. I haven't read any of them- but I will have to give them a try. I love graphic novels and books with pictures. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read this one, Jess, but the publisher was giving away ARCs and I thought why not? Glad I did. Great for mg readers.

      Delete
  8. I taught middle school language arts and loved it. This book looks really cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun story, Kelly. I think middle school is an interesting age.

      Delete