Monday, February 27, 2017

NATIONAL STRAWBERRY DAY AND ...

Guess what today is. Yes, the title shows you. It's National Strawberry Day. There's more than one story about the origin of Strawberry Day. One says that the berries would drop off the leaves and be strewn about the plant, hence the name "strawberry." My favorite story is the one about English children stringing the berries on grass straws and selling the "strawberries" in their neighborhoods. More information can be found here. Did you know, strawberries belong to the rose family?

My favorite dessert.
Before!


After!
 

 
Need I say more?
 
February 27 is also National Polar Bear Day. This is a day to learn more about the Polar Bear and how it lives. Polar bears can grow to nine feet tall and weigh 1400 pounds.  They have slightly webbed front paws, which help in their swimming. Global warming threatens their existence.
 
 
Isn't this one adorable.
 
So celebrate by eating strawberries and  learning more about the Polar Bear.
 
Happy Reading!
 

14 comments:

  1. What a wonderful day to celebrate. I love strawberries.
    Lovely post to commence thr week.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. I love them too, and they're healthy for us.

      Delete
  2. You sure made short work of the strawberries lol polar bears sure are quite the animal indeed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Pat. Strawberries don't stand a chance around my house. And Polar bears are so lovely. Hate to see their numbers declining.

      Delete
  3. I learned something new today...I didn't know there was such a thing as strawberry day or polar bear day...love them both however! Thanks, Beverly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know it, either, Karin. I was just looking for something to post that might be interesting. This is what I found.

      Delete
  4. I'll have to have some strawberries today.
    Your desert looks like strawberries on a polar bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strawberries are healthy, Alex. Enjoy. Ha, ha, I see what you mean. Polar bears might like strawberries. Who knows, unless they can talk to a bear?

      Delete
  5. I had no idea that strawberries and polar bears were being celebrated today. How fun! I love strawberries and I have been on a big angel food cake lately. Strawberries and angel food cake go very well together. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know, either, Jess, until I started searching for something to post. They certainly do. Yummy.

      Delete
  6. I wish I knew what all of the fun national days are. I've been eating cherries with my angel food cake the past couple of days!

    Cute polar bear. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherries with angel food cake sounds good, too. I need to try them. You can find lists of national days by googleing them. That's what I did.

      Delete
  7. Okay now I'm craving strawberry shortcake. That's my favorite summertime dessert, but you can eat it year-round. I don't know why I limit it to summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, Stephanie I do eat it year round. It used to be that we only had strawberries in the summer. I always looked forward to the season. Now, we have them all the seasons. :)

      Delete