Wednesday, June 7, 2017

IWSG - JUNE" I

Today is the first Wednesday of June, which means, IWSG Day.

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time.

Our Twitter is @TheIWSG and hashtag #IWSG

Ninja Alex J. Cavanaugh is the founder of IWSG.

His awesome co-hosts for the June 7 posting of the IWSG will be JH Moncrieff, Madeline Mora-Summonte, Jen Chandler, Megan Morgan, and Heather Gardner!

Visit the Insecure Writer's Support Group here.

Now for the question of the month. Did you ever say "I quit"? If so, what happened to make you come back to writing?

The question is optional.


The best I can remember, I never actually have said "I quit." There have been times when it seemed like I should. When all I received were "no thank you" or "not for us" letters. I actually have a wall in my writing room covered with these letters, as a reminder to never give up. Yes, I have days, weeks, and even months when everything goes wrong. My characters keep their secrets from me. I have no idea where the plot is going or if I even have a plot. And each word I type laughs at me. "Ha, ha! You think you can write? Puleese."

These go back to the 1990s, before email, and fortunately, I don't receive so many any more. I like to read them every now and then.   

Maybe I'm stubborn. Maybe I'm a dreamer. Maybe I just sit at my computer so I won't have to mop the floors, vacuum the carpets, or clean out the closets. And sometimes, sometimes, a character will start talking to me, one of those whispers in my ear, and  he tells me his problem. I still have to help him solve the problem, or not. And I may not know how in the beginning. Together, however, we can write his story. 

No, I don't say "I quit" because he needs me. And I need him.

That's my story. 

Happy Reading and Writing!

(Now to watch the Rangers. I hope they don't say "I quit." They sure need some encouragement.) 


17 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your story Beverly, I think we all wonder at times if it is worth continuing......but we do.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvonne. I think we keep writing because we love it and we sometimes just write for our self (and hope others like it.)

      Delete
  2. Terrific post and advice, Beverly. Persistence does pay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does, Karin. Writing is not for the easily discouraged, that's for sure.

      Delete
  3. The more nos you get, the better chance you have of getting a yes. But one has to keep at it to find that yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Diane. Sometimes we give up too soon, so we have to hang in there and never say never.

      Delete
  4. Keeping on keeping on is key, the only way we can turn the nos to a yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you said it, Pat. That "yes" is out there. We just have to be patient.

      Delete
  5. I just threw out a stack of paper rejections in January. But I do have a folder in my email full of them. I should delete these. I still get a lot. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I should throw mine away too, Chrys. But some of them have nice things to say. Through the years I've received fewer and fewer "nos". I think I've learned to match my story better with the publishers.

      Delete
  6. I like your wall. You can laugh at all those rejections now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Alex, I do laugh at them, and I've learned a lot from those early experiences.

      Delete
  7. I don't think I could do the wall of rejections, but kudos to you! My rejections have all gone directly into the garbage, and good riddance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Crystal. That's a good place for rejections. Now, they're mostly emails, which are easy to delete.

      Delete
  8. I love how honest you are about your rejections. They are hard, but they also inspire me to try harder. Oh, and my desk and walls and office are covered in post it notes...LOL

    I've nominated your blog for the 2017 Liebster award. Check it out here! If it's not your thing that's fine, don't feel obligated to participate. I'd still love to have your book recommendation though! http://annw.shannonauthor.org/liebster-award-2017/

    Have a great day!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann. You're right. I've discovered that I learn from rejections when a publisher explains why they don't want the story. Then I try to improve it. Haha, Post it notes should be where you can see them. The walls and desk sound just right.

      Also, thanks for the Liebster award. I appreciate it, but really don't have the time to add anything new to my days. I'll check and give you a book recommendation.

      Delete
    2. My favorite book is Gone With The Wind. Rhett Butler. What a scoundrel. What a guy. :)

      Delete