Monday, June 12, 2017

DUCK AND COVER BOOK REVIEW

Quote for the week:

Today, I have a wonderful book to tell you about.
So relax and enjoy.




Awhile back, Author Janet Smart introduced us to DUCK AND COVER, her latest novel for middle-grade readers.  I just finished reading the story, and I recommend it for not only children but for older folks, as well. So, here are my thoughts.


DUCK AND COVER


By Janet F. Smart


When I was a kid, back in the day, I remember the blackouts we had sometimes at night. The sirens blared. House lights went off. My sister and I sat at the window looking outside, watching for planes that might drop bombs on us. The sky was dark, but we never saw a plane. We didn’t understand it completely, but I knew it was bad. An air force base where they trained pilots was near our town, which possibly made our area a target. After a while the all clear signal sounded and lights flashed back on in the houses.



DUCK AND COVER, the latest novel for middle grade readers, by Author Janet F. Smart, brought back those memories. Twelve-year-old Teddy’s father died six months earlier, and Teddy and his mom moved back to West Virginia to be with family. The author has done a beautiful job showing us Teddy’s emotions. Not only is he mourning the loss of his dad, he’s worried about rumors that the Russians will attack the United States. Teddy and his friends are brave, though, and they don’t just sit back waiting to see what happens. They prepare for such an emergency.



The author sprinkles historical facts into the story, such as the presidents of those times. And perhaps readers will do a bit of research on their own to learn more about America’s history.



This novel would make a great addition to school classrooms and libraries, as well as to public libraries and your own. Recommended for readers young and old.


Happy Reading!


20 comments:

  1. Sounds like a moving, emotional novel. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is emotional, Stephanie, because though it's fiction, it's based on events that actually happened and gives the reader a sense of what life was like for people in those times. You're welcome.

      Delete
  2. Sure sounds like a winner. Getting one to look up history is sure an added bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great story, Pat, and the characters are so authentic. History lovers should enjoy the story. I did.

      Delete
  3. Glad you enjoyed this, Beverly. Sounds like an intense story with a lot going on for Teddy dealing with the death of his father and moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Natalie, Teddy is a wonderful character who faces an unknown future with bravery and friendships.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing, Beverly. I won a copy of Janet's book not long ago but haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. I'm looking forward to it, especially after reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great. I think you'll enjoy the story, Karin. The kids are like kids today, trying to survive in an uncertain world.

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing your review with your followers, Beverly. I am glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Janet. The story is wonderful. Your characters are so charming I was hoping everything turned out well for them.

      Delete
  6. And that's a history we don't hear about often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, Alex. It seem some important times in America's history no longer seem important to study. What is that saying? If we ignore history it may repeat itself? (Or something.)

      Delete
  7. I love MG books that have historical facts in the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, c lee. I used to not care about history but one day realized what I was missing. Now, it's one of my favorite subjects, especially American history.

      Delete
  8. I read this one! Definitely a great read. :) Best of luck to Janet. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Jess. I expect we'll see more great stories from Janet. She has a special touch.

      Delete
  9. This makes me think about what the future will look like. Even without exposure to that era, I was raised to be constantly aware of threats like that. Now, with everything that's happening, that anxiety only increases.

    Looking forward, how many children will learn to live in fear of an impending attack? :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question, Robert. I'm wondering, with the news media following all of the violence in our cities, if today's young people worry much about other countries. Maybe they do. I don't know.

      Delete
  10. Great quote Beverly and also a wonderful review.
    Great to start the week.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvonne. May this new week bring all good things to you.

      Delete