Monday, May 8, 2017

#INKRIPPLES and FAIRY TALE

Monday, already? Where did the weekend go? Sometimes I wish I could slow down time. Mmm, good idea for a story, no? Anyhow, today I'm doing '#InkRipples. The topic is Fairy Tales.


It's no secret. When I was a kid I hated to read. No one insisted I read, so I only did what was necessary to pass from grade to grade. However, I did enjoy listening to Fairy Tales on the radio. Years ago, before many of you were born, a program called "Let's Pretend" came on the radio. Yes, this was before TV, but I had my own little radio in my bedroom and listened to it almost every night. Actors spoke the part of the different characters from favorite Fairy Tales. I loved listening to "Sleeping Beauty" and the other magical stories. The show did not make me want to read the books, but I did learn to care for the characters.

"Let's Pretend" was originally called "The Adventures of Helen and Mary." Nila Mack produced the show and thought children should tell the story since they were for children. So the actors were children actors. The show was on the air from 1934 to 1954. It won the Peabody  Award. The Peabody Awards were originally only for radio, but in 1948 television awards were introduced. In the late 1990s additional categories for material distributed via the World Wide Web were added.[2] Materials created solely for theatrical motion picture release are not eligible.

Today, since I've learned I really do enjoy reading, I have several anthologies of fairy tales. They are some of my favorite stories, even though I'm no longer a child.

#InkRipples is a monthly meme created by Kai Strand, Mary Waibel, and Katie L. Carroll. They post on the first Monday of every month with a new topic. They're all authors, but you don't have to be to participate.

The idea of #InkRipples is to toss a word, idea, image, whatever into the inkwell and see what kind of ripples it makes. The topic for June is Blurbs. Oh, I'm looking forward to this one. So, how about joining the fun. Just be sure to link back to Katie, Kai, and Mary.

Happy Reading.

18 comments:

  1. Listening to radio rather than watching TV is such a different experience. It's not a lost art though since so many people listen to podcasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Diane, though I've never listened to a podcast. The audio books are good though.

      Delete
  2. Even if you didn't read when you were young, those broadcasts must've placed some seed of reading in you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They most likely did, Alex, but I didn't know it at the time.

      Delete
  3. Good storytelling is good storytelling no matter the medium. Sounds like those radio programs had an impact on you the same way a book would have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Katie. They must have since I remember them many years later.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. There's just something about going to a magical world that is exciting, isn't it, Karin.

      Delete
  5. The broadcasts were your form of reading indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess they were, Pat. Sort of like audio books today.

      Delete
  6. You certainly made up for not liking to read when you were a kid! Fairy Tales are always fun to enter into and I love doing that with new readers. Their faces just light up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is weird sometimes, Lee, how we change in some ways when we grow older. I bet you make the stories really exciting for the young ones.

      Delete
  7. Lovely post Beverly fairy tales are wonderful. Takes one away from the reality of life for a while.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them, Yvonne, and yes, it's great to enter the magical world of fairy tales and escape the real world for a time.

      Delete
  8. I spend about 2-3 hours a day listening to podcasts, so I'm recapturing a bit of that time! As you know, I love true crime, and there are about a billion true crime podcasts now...and they're all free! There are some that are like those old radio shows, too...I've heard of a few that people really love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Stephanie. I've never listened to a podcast. Guess it's time I did. Yes, you come up with some great crimes for your posts. I enjoy reading them. It's scary what people do sometimes.

      Delete
  9. Wow - twenty years is a long run! I love listening to stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a long time, Kai, before TV became so popular and lots of people didn't even have one. I enjoy listening to them too.

      Delete