Monday, April 24, 2017

THE BEAUTY OF SPRINGTIME


Quote for the week: 


Today I'd like to share some of the reasons I like spring. Enjoy.
 
There are the flowers.
 

Iris at our gate.
 
I don't know what these are. They grow wild in the pasture.
 
 
 
Paintbrush. Most years we have a lot. Only a few this year. I think it was too dry.
 
 
Thistles are beginning to bloom. There are a lot of them in the pasture. I cut down the ones in the yard because they are real sticky. But the hummingbirds like them as do the butterflies.
 
Then there are the birds. The beautiful birds.
 
This little bird has her nest in the light fixture at the corner of the house. I've been watching and one day saw two tiny heads, their beaks wide open waiting for mama to feed them. Tried to get a picture, but they were scared and ducked down in the nest. The mama flies away every time I go outside. Haven't seen the babies today. They may have flown away too.
 
This little fly catcher has her nest on our electric meter, just under the roof of the house. She was taking food to it, but I haven't seen any babies yet. I'm watching closely to keep the cats in the house.
 
Robin in the mesquite tree.
 
The hummingbirds are back, but I haven't taken their pictures. They aren't coming to the feeders often, too many wildflowers for them. They like the thistles and also milkweed that we have lots of.
 
I hope you enjoyed this touch of spring.
 
Remember to smell the roses and listen to the birds singing.
 
 

16 comments:

  1. Love the quote, loved the pictures, loved the post. Thanks Beverly for brightening up a Monday morning.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Yvonne. I'm glad to brighten up your Monday morning. Have a great rest of the day.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures, Beverly, and I love the quote. Such true words! Have a lovely week:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin. I thought the quote was neat, too. A lovely week to you, as well.

      Delete
  3. Sure great signs of spring. I can imagine what the cats think with the new birds about, have to watch them indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Pat. I can picture the cats' little brains trying to figure out how to reach those nests. :) I saw three babies in the flycatchers nest. The others are gone, who knows where.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful images of spring! I love the quote, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tyrean. I thought the quote was a good one.

      Delete
  5. You've captured spring, Beverly! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, c lee, but I left out spring fever, or being lazy, in my case. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. Our hummingbirds aren't coming to the feeder yet either. They must've found some good flowers. We do have a cardinal nesting in the bush outside one window. It's keeping our cat occupied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hummingbirds do like the flowers, Diane. My pasture looks funny because when Scott mows, he mows around the wild flowers. I can imagine the cat's interest in the Cardinal's nest.

      Delete
  7. So hummingbirds and butterflies like thistles? I guess that's good then because they are such a nuisance plant. I do love the iris and lilac that bloom in the spring. It's wonderful to see the outdoor world coming alive this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you're saying, Karen. Thistles grow wild and I cut the ones in the yard down, but leave the ones in the pasture. They have sharp leaves and can be painful. Yes, spring brightens the days before the heat takes over. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. I love this list. I never stop to appreciate the beauty of nature! Even in fall, which is my favorite season. Sometimes I'll schedule during that time just to make sure I take time off to enjoy the pretty fall colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie. I think sometimes we're just too busy to take a minute or two to look around us. I like fall, too. Another change as nature settles for a rest.

      Delete