Monday, April 3, 2017

INKRIPPLES REVISION, AND A WINNER

Quote for the week: Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. Helen Keller

This is the first Monday of the month of April. Ink Ripples time. #InkRipples is a monthly meme created by Kai Strand, Mary Waibel, and Katie L. Carroll. They post on the first Monday of every month with a new topic. They're all authors, but you don't have to be to participate.

You can spread your own ripples by blogging about the topic any day of the month that fits your schedule, just be sure to include links back to Katie, Kai, and Mary.

The topic for April is REVISION. My first thought when I saw this month's word was revision in writing. In fact that's exactly what I've been doing for weeks and weeks and weeks. Does it ever end? When do you stop? For me, I always find something that needs changing in my stories.

Are there other kinds of revision, besides in writing a novel, poem, song, or other?

Yes, I think there are. I'm a list maker. Every day I write down the things I plan/hope to do that day. When I complete a task, I check it off. I usually want to do more than I accomplish. No problem. Just revise my list and add them to the next day's list. That's revision.

Another revision that comes to mind is my attitude or opinion about something. For instance, one day I think a book I'm reading is great. Then I get to a part I'm not crazy about which changes my mind. Or I might eat some delicious dessert, but the next time I taste it, I wonder why I thought it was so good.

I just had a good laugh at my next thought. Sometimes I dig to the back of my closet and find a dress I haven't worn since the ... well, several years ago, and I think What on earth possessed me to buy that ugly thing? It likely was in style back in those days, but now it looks so funny. My taste in clothes, perhaps, has been revised.

So the word revision may mean different things to different people. What do you revise?

If you're interested in #InkRipples, you can also share your thoughts on social media using the hashtag #InkRipples.

The topic for May is Fairy Tales. That's a good one.


BIG ANNOUNCEMENT
 
We also have the winner of DUCK AND COVER by Janet Smart.
 
Congratulations, Karin Larson.
 
To receive the copy of your book send an email to Janet, with the address you want the book sent to and how you'd like the author to autograph it. Her email is wvsmarties (at) yahoo (dot) com
 
Happy Reading!

20 comments:

  1. Love the quote Beverly, Most interest post to read.
    Enjoy the comihng week.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a good one, Yvonne. I will. You too.

      Delete
  2. I used to keep a day planner and I knew that moving to-do items to the next day would be an extra task, so I'd sometimes take care of the item. Often it would be right as I was moving it, if it was a small enough task! So that form of "revision" can be a very productive one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking about having to do a task the next day is good motivation, Stephanie, to get it done now.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, thanks so much! I will send Janet an email. Very exciting!

    Love, love, love your quote today, Beverly! I also make daily lists and revise/add on an ongoing basis when I complete (or do not complete) tasks, but I always take great pleasure in crossing things off my list:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations, Karin. It looks like a great story.
      I thought the quote was a good one, too. Glad you liked it. Crossing off a completed task does give one a sense of accomplishment, even if it's something small. Have a great week.

      Delete
  4. I love how you took the topic of revision and made it more universal. Life is one big revision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie. I couldn't think of much to say about revising writing that everyone doesn't already know, so I tried something new. Yep, we're always revising our lives, like it or not.

      Delete
  5. Life is nothing if it's not revision! I think those ugly dresses lurk in every woman's closet. We should have an ugly dress hop one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, c lee. Haha, I have to laugh when I look at some of the old styles. Did we actually wear that? An ugly dress hop sounds like fun.

      Delete
  6. We do change over time and what we liked before can get revised with ease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do, Pat, and change is good, otherwise we'd be boring, right?

      Delete
  7. Revising my plans for the day daily is something I normally do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I understand, Nasreen. Our days often don't go the way we planned, so it's a good thing we're flexible and can revise them. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. Our whole life, everything we do, will be spent in revision. (Unless we just like doing the same dumb thing over and over. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Love it, Diane. Sometimes I find myself doing the same dumb thing over and over and think why am I doing this? It didn't work the first time.

      Delete
  9. For me, revision mainly means writing. But you are right: There are a lots of ways we do revisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lynda. Revisions are a huge part of writing. They never seem to end. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. I love my to do lists and I definitely revise them and rewrite them at the end of the day. It feels good to cross things off and I always know I won't get through everything, but I do make progress. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does, Jess. Crossing tasks off that are completed makes me feel I've accomplished at least some of my goals that day.

      Delete