Monday, March 27, 2017

DUCK AND COVER BY JANET SMART

Quote for the week: 

I'm so excited today to host Author Janet F. Smart and her latest novel DUCK AND COVER. So, sit back, relax, and enjoy your visit.


Isn't this an adorable cover? Sure makes me wonder what's about to happen.
Duck and Cover
Published by Saguaro Books
By Janet F. Smart
Released February 2017
 
BOOK BLURB
After his dad dies in an accident at work, twelve-year-old Teddy Haynes and his mom come back to live with family in rural West Virginia.  They hope to start over, but some people say the Russians are going to blow up the United States. How can they start over, if the world comes to an end?
He finds his life filled with talk of bomb shelters, a cat and dog that don’t get along, clinging two-year-old twin nephews and a pretty girl he’s too shy to talk to. To help cope with their fears, Teddy and his friends convert an old cave in the woods into a bomb shelter.  Will they be able to work together and pull through the tense-filled months during the Cuban Missile Crisis in the fall of 1962? And will Teddy be able to overcome his grief from the loss of his dad?
 
The Inspiration:
The inspiration for this middle grade book came from a flicker of a childhood memory. When I was young, I remember going to my aunt’s house with my mom and another aunt. I remember them being afraid and saying that the world was coming to an end. It took me a while to figure out what this memory could be about, but I finally realized that it must have been during the Cuban Missile Crisis. So, I wrote about the incident from the eyes of a twelve-year-old boy. I added three friends, a cat, a pregnant dog—and a brownie recipe.
The first paragraph hook:
I survived the long drive from Cleveland. Now if I could just survive the Russians, I’d be okay. Some people worried they were going to blow up the United States. Mom and I had come back to West Virginia to start over. How could we start over if the world was coming to an end?
 
The history
The first version of this manuscript that I can find is dated 2012. It was only 20,000 words. And 360 of those words were the lyrics to a song (Monster Mash). Of course, that had to be taken out. There have been many more changes to this story since then. It took first place in a writing contest in 2015. At one time, there were five recipes in the book. Now there is only one – brownies!
Fun Facts
Teddy is the main character, but I really love his best friend, Melvin—he is quite a character. Teddy’s family has a naming tradition. They name their children (and pets) after presidents and/or their wives. Teddy carries a worry stone with him wherever he goes.
 
My advice to writers:
Never give up.  Get critique partners, keep improving on your manuscripts and send them out. They can’t be published if the only one who sees them are you, your critique partners and the insides of your computer.
You can find Duck and Cover on Amazon in paperback and kindle.

A little about Janet:
The author, Janet F. Smart, lives in picturesque West Virginia. She is the mother of three grown boys. She enjoys writing for children, bringing her thoughts, dreams and imagination to life. When not outside enjoying nature, she sits at her writing desk, her inner child flowing onto the paper. She writes a monthly children’s column for a regional magazine, belongs to WVWriters and loves writing poetry, picture books and middle grade manuscripts.
Connect with Janet on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/wvsmarties, her writing blog http://creativewritingintheblackberrypatch.blogspot.com and her author page www.janetfsmart.blogspot.com 
Janet is giving away a copy of her book to one lucky commenter on this post, continental US only. Get extra entries when you share this post to Facebook and/or follow her writing blog. Janet will select the winner next Monday and we'll post it here.
Congratulations, Janet.
 
Happy Reading!
 


20 comments:

  1. Love the quote Beverly, Congrats to Janet on what appears to be an excellent book.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvonne. I've added the book to my reading list because it sounds so interesting. Have a good week.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a terrific book. Congratulations, Janet. I do love the quote:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Karin. The last part of the quote isn't real clear, but I thought it was cute.

      Delete
  3. A unique view on a time many of us never experienced. Sounds like an engaging read. Congratulations, Janet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Alex, and I think learning about our history is important for young people.

      Delete
  4. Good for you, Janet, for bringing this recent (to us) history to young readers! Thanks for the post, Beverly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book sounds like Janet has done a great job telling about this time in our history. You're welcome. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. It's great to have the stories like this from days past. That cover is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, c lee. History is one of my favorite subjects to read about. The cover sure invites a reader to see what's inside.

      Delete
  6. Congrats, Janet. The cover sure does make you want to know indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, fun cover! Congratulations to Janet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great cover, Stephanie. Sure got my attention.

      Delete
  8. It was a scary time. A friend of mine remembers her mother coming to get her at school, thinking it had happened, and just spending the day with her. Of course, no bombs dropped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember having drills where everyone had to turn off their lights, and my sister and I would watch out the window expecting to see airplanes coming to bomb us. Scary, indeed.

      Delete
  9. Hello, everyone. Thanks for your nice comments. I hope you get to read my book - and that you like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your story with us, Janet. History is one of my favorite subjects.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like an interesting story. Janet shared fun facts with us about the book and characters. I always love hearing what sparked the idea for a a book. Wishing her all the best!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading the story, Jess. Historical novels are some of my favorites.

      Delete