Monday, February 20, 2017

MEME AND SPOTLIGHT

Quote for the week:
 
My love of butterflies is no secret. So I found this quote that I really like. I also have another butterfly to show you. The Children's Literary Classics Awards designed a meme for me, using my quote.
 
 
Isn't it neat! If you've read UNDER A PURPLE MOON, you may recognize the meme.
 
The CLC also spotlighted me.
 

 
WHEN DID YOU FIRST KNOW YOU WANTED TO BE A WRITER AND WHY?
 
When I was teaching fifth-grade, we read Newbery honor books. Seeing how much my students enjoyed the stories, what great reports they did, sometimes even dressing like the main character, I started wondering what it would be like to write stories young people loved. So, I took a writing course and discovered that writing a novel was even better than reading one. That was almost 20 years ago, and I'm still writing.
AS A CHILD, WHAT DID YOU ASPIRE TO BE WHEN YOU GREW UP?
 
A ballerina or an opera singer.
HOW DID YOU GET THE IDEA FOR YOUR AWARD WINNING TITLE?
 
One day, a girl (I hear voices a lot) whispered in my ear that her mother criticized everything she did and all she wanted was her mother and father to love her. So, Eden's story was born, the story of a broken family and their struggles to find that elusive word: love.
 
You can read the rest of the spotlight here.
 
Watch for more news about UNDER A PURPLE MOON soon.
 
Happy Reading.
 

12 comments:

  1. As always a wonderful post Beverly, I once wrote a poem entitle "Fragile as a Butterfly".

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvonne. The poem sounds lovely. Maybe one day you'll post it for us to read. Have a great week.

      Delete
  2. I love butterflies too. They have a special significance in my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, Kelly. A butterfly once perched on my finger when I was outside. It sat there for a long time, like it was telling me something. That's when I learned about butterflies.

      Delete
  3. That is neat indeed that your own meme took seed. Can be lots of fun writing one's own novel too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was neat, Pat. Yes, writing is fun, especially for a girl who once hated to read and write. Just shows how people can change.

      Delete
  4. I love butterflies too! I love looking for them and I get lots of them in my yard. Congrats on the spotlight! Fun learning what inspired you to start writing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every year some of the Monarchs fly through our area on their way to Mexico, Jess. I love to watch them. Sadly, their numbers are growing smaller every year. Thanks for the congrats. Have a great week.

      Delete
  5. One of my best memories was my 6th grade language arts teacher getting us to read books and write reports on them. I always loved reading, but she really emphasized the importance of reading books. It made a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does, Stephanie. I was not a reader in my younger years. I don't know why. And I hated book reports. Now I'm making up for lost time. :)

      Delete
  6. Butterflies are lovely. I also love dragonflies. :)

    ReplyDelete