Monday, February 13, 2017

#InkRipples GENRE

When I saw the topic for #InkRipples in February was "genre" I thought, umm, what can I say. I've never really paid much attention or given much thought to what genre the books are in that I read or write. So, I read posts that others have written on the subject and also did some research.

If you don't know about #InkRipples yet, here's what the meme is all about.
 
 #InkRipples is a monthly meme created by Kai Strand, Mary Waibel, and Katie L. Carroll. They post the first Monday of every month. If you'd like to join, you can post any day of the month that fits your schedule, just be sure to include links back to Katie, Kai, and Mary.
The topic changes every month and Tropes is the one for March. I've got to look this one up too.

Now, here's what I discovered about genres. From Wikipedia:

Genre is a label that characterizes elements a reader can expect in a work of literature. The major forms of literature can be written in various genres. Genre is a category characterized by similarities in style, or subject matter.
The classic major genres of literature are:

Common genres: fiction:

Subsets of genres, known as common genres, have developed from the archetypes of genres in written expression.
  • Classic – fiction that has become part of an accepted literary canon, widely taught in schools
  • Crime/detective – fiction about a crime, how the criminal gets caught, and the repercussions of the crime
  • Fable – narration demonstrating a useful truth, especially in which animals speak as humans; legendary, supernatural tale
  • Fairy tale – story about fairies or other magical creatures
  • Fan fiction – fiction written by a fan of, and featuring characters from, a particular TV series, movie, or book
  • Fantasy – fiction with strange or otherworldly settings or characters; fiction which invites suspension of reality
  • Fiction in verse – full-length novels with plot, subplot(s), theme(s), major and minor characters, in which the narrative is presented in verse form (usually free verse)
  • Fiction narrative – literary works whose content is produced by the imagination and is not necessarily based on fact
  • Folklore – the songs, stories, myths, and proverbs of a people or "folk" as handed down by word of mouth
  • Historical fiction – story with fictional characters and events in a historical setting
  • Horror – fiction in which events evoke a feeling of dread and sometimes fear in both the characters and the reader
  • Humor – Usually a fiction full of fun, fancy, and excitement, meant to entertain and sometimes cause intended laughter; but can be contained in all genres
  • Legend – story, sometimes of a national or folk hero, that has a basis in fact but also includes imaginative material
  • Magical realism  – story where magical or unreal elements play a natural part in an otherwise realistic environment
  • Meta fiction – also known as romantic irony in the context of Romantic works of literature, uses self-reference to draw attention to itself as a work of art, while exposing the "truth" of a story
  • Mystery – this is fiction dealing with the solution of a crime or the unraveling of secrets
  • Mythology – legend or traditional narrative, often based in part on historical events, that reveals human behavior and natural phenomena by its symbolism; often pertaining to the actions of the gods
  • Mythopoeia – fiction in which characters from religious mythology, traditional myths, folklore and/or history are recast into a re-imagined realm created by the author
  • Picture book – picture storybook is a book with very little words and a lot of pictUures, picture stories are usually for little kids
  • Realistic fiction – story that is true to life
  • Science fiction – story based on the impact of actual, imagined, or potential science, usually set in the future or on other planets
  • Short story – fiction of such brevity that it supports no subplots
  • Suspense/thriller – fiction about harm about to befall a person or group and the attempts made to evade the harm
  • Tall tale – humorous story with blatant exaggerations, such as swaggering heroes who do the impossible with nonchalance
  • Western  – set in the American Old West frontier and typically set in the late eighteenth to late nineteenth century
I could go on and on, with subgenres and more, but we'll stop here, since your heads are probably spinning. Mine is. Now to see where the last two books I've written are categorized.

UNDER A PURPLE MOON
 
Realistic Fiction (Story that is true to life.) And here I've been calling it Contemporary Fiction. I learn something every day.
 
 
A FAMILY FOR LEONA
 
Historical Fiction (a story with fictional characters and events in a historical setting.) This is partly true. My main characters are real, with name changes, and the events actually happened, though a bit differently than in my story, which makes it fiction.
 
 
Now, I'm curious about my other books. Off to take a look at them.
 
How about you? What genre are your novels and stories written in?
 
Do you read the same genre you write?
 
If you're a reader and not a writer, why do you choose certain genres to read?
 
Yes, I'm full of questions. I want to learn more about genres.
 
Happy Reading and Writing.



22 comments:

  1. I read other poetry blogs Beverly,each poet I have read seems to have their own individual way of writing which is interesting.
    I enjoyed reading your post today.
    Have a happy week.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. Poetry is individual. Every poet puts his/her personality into the writing. That's what makes it so lovely. You have a happy week too.

      Delete
  2. haha yeah, genres can surely span every which way when you really get down to it. Can sometimes tick a few off too when they think it is one genre but you mix a few others in, meh I say, go with what comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never realized there were so many, Pat. Learn something new every day. I don't really think about it when I'm writing or reading, just enjoy what I'm doing.

      Delete
  3. Amazing how many new genres have come along.
    I've always written in the same genre although I read a much wider variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, Alex. Staying with one genre is probably best. But these other ideas, totally different, keep popping up in my head.

      Delete
  4. Terrific post, Beverly, and very informative. I definitely learned a lot. I read a lot of different genres though have been published only in the picture book genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin. So did I. Never knew there were so many. I read different genres too, really pay no attention to what a book is listed as, only if it sounds good to me. I'm very simple. :)

      Delete
  5. My genres tend to vary. I've done paranormal, historical, speculative, and sci-fi. I don't think too much about the genre until after the fact. It helps with marketing at that point to label the work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither do I, Tamara. I just write the story that's in me, no matter the genre.

      Delete
  6. I write paranormal and romance. Those are my go-to genres. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should add that I now also write suspense and psychic mystery too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do. It's exciting to write in more than one genre, at least to me.

      Delete
  8. So far I've written fantasy, thriller, and mystery...and working on a few other genres in various stages of idea or barely written. There are so many genres and sub-genres!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There certainly are a lot, Katie. So write away, whatever you like. It's fun.

      Delete
  9. I find it interesting that we now call it "realistic." When I first started writing, it was contemporary and historical. Then fantasy/paranormal exploded and it needed further clarification!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Stephanie. I have to change my stories from contemporary to realistic. No wonder some authors, like me, are confused.

      Delete
  10. Very nice descriptions of each genre. Sometimes, they are so hard to keep straight. I write mostly in romantic-suspense, but I dabble in so many others including paranormal and fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There sure are a lot of them, Chrys. Dabbling is fun.

      Delete
  11. I read a wide variety of genres. It is fascinating how many different genres there are and so many books fall into multiple ones. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is, Jess. I had no idea how many genres there are.

      Delete