Wednesday, January 4, 2017

HAPPY NEW YEAR IWSG

Welcome to the first Wednesday of 2017, Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. Be sure to link to this page and display the badge in your post.
 
Ninja Alex J. Cavanaugh is the founder of IWSG.
 
His awesome co-hosts for the January 4 posting of the IWSG will be Eva @ Lillicasplace, Crystal Collier, Sheena-kay Graham, Chemist Ken, LG Keltner, and Heather Gardner!

Stop by their blogs and say "Thank You."
 
The question for January is "What writing rule do you wish you'd never heard?"
This question is optional.

Maybe you have set goals for 2017. Maybe not.
I have, sort of, mostly to relax more and not worry about my writing when it's going wrong.
Also to take a break when I'm having trouble, work on other stories, then go back to it with fresh ideas.
I hope to try some new things this year for promotion, too. That is my most insecure place.
Nothing I do seems to sell more books. Maybe I'll find the magic answer, if there is such a thing. I'm going to try.
And, I must get organized. Ha, ha. Enough said.

To answer the above question: there are writing rules? Mmm, I had to check on that. So I looked it up; there are, and some of the rules made me laugh, especially on a site called The Guardian, where famous authors you will recognize share their top 10 rules. Here's the link. I couldn't copy them because of copy right.
As for serious rules I wish I'd never heard of, I really can't think of any, because most rules help me.

The rule for who gets the cat tree is

the cat that's the toughest!


Or maybe Tiger is just a gentleman cat and lets Patches have the tree.

Have a wonderful 2017.


Happy Reading!
 

22 comments:

  1. Lovely to see you back Beverly, Happy New Year to you.
    I love the photo's of the cats especially the tortiseshell one as
    it was so like my departed cat Tabitha who was diabetic.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvonne. I'm happy to be back. Happy New Year to you. I know you loved Tabitha. Cats have a way of touching our hearts. Have a wonderful day.

      Delete
  2. haha or he who annoys the most gets the tree to themselves as the other gives up and leaves. Some rules are laughable indeed and if you find the magic answer, let us know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a good point there, Pat. I think that's what Tiger does. It's not worth the effort to fight over the tree. I will let you know when/if I find the magic answer. Have a great day.

      Delete
  3. That magical answer seems to change every month.

    In our house, the biggest, most ornery cat always got the best spot on the cat tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Diane. You've heard the saying "just when I learn all the answers they change all the questions." Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. I 'feel' your statement, "Nothing I do seems to sell more books." I want to figure out how to keep my books popping up in front of people without having to invest tons of money. Always a challenge.

    Happy New Year, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we should start a club, Kai, on ways to sell more books. Bet we'd have a lot of members. Let's think positive. 2017 is THE YEAR. I think you're close.
      Happy New Year to You, Dear Friend.

      Delete
  5. I like your fresh outlook on writing for the new year. Sounds wise. I think in general writers are tough on themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, S. A. I'm not sure I'm "wise" but I appreciate your comment. :) Yes, I agree. We're our own worst critics.

      Delete
  6. *high five* I'm totally with you. I don't regret having heard a single "rule," although most are more like guidelines. They are the guards that help us build a structure that is acceptable to the majority of readers.

    I'm wishing you success with your change of tactics. The scariest changes are usually the ones that bring success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad you agree, Crystal. Rules do help us, but sometimes it's okay to bend them a little. A lot of things about writing are scary. That makes it more exciting, right?

      Delete
  7. I have seen the most bizarre writing rules. Back in the day, I had blogged about a few of them. Such as no tears (don't describe your character's tears), don't use "very," and no exclamation points. All of these came from authors. I was like...WHAT? haha I once heard that authors make up rules to hurt other writers. I don't know if that's true, but it does make you wonder when you hear some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we need to remember that some rules are good, Chrys, but we're also individuals and creative and sometimes it's okay to break a rule. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

      Delete
  8. My favorite rule is still Thou Shall Not Suck.
    Happy 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha. That's a good one, Alex. I'll have to remember it.

      Delete
  9. Yep, there are rules! I learned in my 20s, during a billion RWA workshops, that there are a ton of authors who will tell you what you HAVE to do to get and stay published. None of them are right. In fact, at that time one of the rules was to avoid writing paranormal because it didn't sell...editors didn't want to see it. I knew several authors who wrote it anyway--one was Sherrilyn Kenyon. She started selling those books "no one wanted" and became a NYT bestselling author. Sometimes authors don't know what we're talking about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That shows us that we need to listen to ourselves and write what we're compelled to write, Stephanie. Rules are good; they're also limited because each writer is different. Oh, and we're supposed to know what we're talking about? :) It's more fun just to write and see what happens.

      Delete
  10. Happy New Year to you as well, Beverly! I have a similar goal this year also with respect to promotion. Definitely not my strong suit:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin. Wishing for you a successful and blessed year. Hang in there. The best is yet to be.

      Delete
  11. I hope your new year is off to a great start! The toughest cat definitely wins. :)

    I can't think of any rules that I have learned that I regret learning or hearing (except wrong ones).

    Wishing you a happy and healthy 2017.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jess. 2017 has started off busy. I imagine your new year is too. Yes, Tiger is. intimidated by Patches. A healthy and wonderful year to you, as well.

      Delete