Monday, October 10, 2016

FIRE PREVENTION WEEK AND BUTTERFLIES

Quote for the week: Love is a great beautifier. Louisa May Alcott





October 9-15 is Fire Prevention Week. This year, they're stressing replacing your smoke alarms every ten years, as you can see by the poster.

After watching my neighbor's house burn to the ground at midnight a few years ago, I suddenly realized how quickly everything we have can be gone. They lost a dog and cat, along with the house and everything in it, but one cat woke them up to a houseful of smoke. The cat most likely saved their lives. Ever since that night, they've called him Hero.

The National Fire Protection Association has a lot of material available for teachers and others for Fire Prevention Week. You can learn more at their site. Back in the olden days when I was teaching we had a neat program about fire safety in the home. Of course, the school had fire drills.


I have some more pictures I'd like to share with you today. Our area is on the Monarch Butterfly's migration path, and I've been snapping pictures like crazy. They've been around longer this year than usual. I guess it's the rain and wind keeping them from flying away I'm not complaining.  Enjoy.

 
I don't know what kind of flowers these are, but they grow wild in our pasture. I need to look them up. Do you know what they are? The butterflies love them.
 
 
Do you know how hard it is to catch a butterfly when it's not flapping its wings? Very hard. I have a lot of pictures of blurred butterflies cause they moved while I was snapping their picture.
 
 
Bedtime.
 
 
Oh, this praying mantis was jealous because I was ignoring it, so I took its picture too.
 
The frogs and fish enjoy the pond.
 
Happy Reading. Have a great week.
 

18 comments:

  1. I know to replace the batteries but I never thought about replacing the whole unit.
    Your neighbor's cat is indeed a hero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really is a great reminder. It's not like people mean to ignore the responsibility to do so. I think like gets so busy that this - although it is majorly important - is one of the details of everyday living we forget about. The butterflies are gorgeous, but it is weird that I like the praying mantis better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, Sheri. We have so many things on our minds some of them get pushed away.
      Not weird. I like praying mantis and walking sticks. They're fascinating little creatures, to me. I'm always saving them from the cats.

      Delete
  3. Smart cat indeed. Units can turn faulty, never really thought about it until now though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either, Pat. I guess that's why they're stressing replacing them this year. To remind us.

      Delete
  4. Fire prevention is always on my mind. We've had a summer of nothing but forest fires all around us and one was caused by a house fire.

    We like to go to Pacific Grove, CA when the monarchs swarm. The trees come to life with color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a helpless feeling, c lee, to watch a fire and know you can't do anything about it. I've read about the California fires. Devastating. They always worry me because my youngest son and his family live in Southern California.

      The Monarchs are beautiful. I look forward to seeing them every fall when they fly through.

      Delete
  5. I didn't realize we were supposed to replace our smoke detectors every 10 years. Our house is 21 years old...it might be well past time to do that! (We bought it just a year ago, but those detectors don't look so new.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know it either, Stephanie. I thought they lasted forever, just replace the batteries. Learn something new every day.

      Delete
  6. My heart really broke when I read about their cat. I am so afraid of fires and often wonder what would happen to my cats if my house caught on fire. I wouldn't be able to get them because they'd be hiding. :(

    Those are lovely butterfly images! I tried taking pictures of a butterfly a few days ago, but it wouldn't land long enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worry too, Chrys. The kitties would be so scared.

      I took a lot of pictures of the butterflies, most of them are blurry. I just kept on and finally was lucky to catch a couple at the right moment. It wasn't easy.

      Delete
  7. One of my grandsons' wants to be a fireman, he is at college at present to learn about social jobs.
    What awesome pic of the butterflies. I wrote a poem years ago called"Fragile As A Butterfly.
    Sorry I'm a day late.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for your grandson, Yvonne. My husband was a firefighter for 35 years. It is a good profession.

      Your poem sounds lovely. Butterflies amaze me. The Monarchs fly hundreds of miles to their winter homes in Mexico and Southern California. They're so delicate I don't see how they do it.

      No apology needed. I'm often late in commenting, but I guess we don't really have a timetable.

      Delete
  8. I've only ever replaced batteries. Thanks for the info! So sad for your neighbors:(

    I love your pictures, Beverly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad to lose everything, Karin. I guess when things like this happen, we realize what's truly important in life. Thanks, I love snapping pictures of nature.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Hi Gary. Thanks for stopping by. Will check your link when I catch up. Have a nice weekend.

      Delete