Wednesday, October 26, 2016

FAVORITE HALLOWEEN STORIES

Halloween is next Monday, but parties and trick-or-treating are already going on. Many churches are having Trunk or Treats. A lot of businesses and organizations have plans for the children. When I was a kid, back in the "olden" days, we went from door-to-door for treats. Some people ignored us, so we sprinkled confetti on their porches. I know ... naughty girls.

We also had a lot of parties when I was older. We bobbed for apples and went on scavenger hunts. I wasn't a reader in the kid and teen years, so I don't have any favorite Halloween stories from those times. I do now. THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW by Washington Irving.

 
Cover from Good Reads
 
IT'S THE GREAT PUMPKIN, CHARLIE BROWN is my favorite Halloween TV show.
 
 
 
Image from Wikipedia - Title Card from 1966 TV Special
 
Created by Charles M. Schultz
 
What's you favorite ghost story and/or TV show?
 
 
 
 
I've written two ghost stories. The latest, A PIRATE, A BLOCKADE RUNNER, AND A CAT, is for MG and tween readers. It would make a nice stocking stuffer for the young readers in the family.
 
Short Excerpt:
 
When something brushed against my bare leg, already creeped out, I jumped. "Yeow!" A cat, gray as the shadows, a green mist surrounding it, tilted its head and grinned at me. Yup. It grinned, a vicious I-know-you-hate-cats-and-I-will-torture-you-for-being-you grin.
 
James scooped up the cat. "Dixie was on the ship with me. She wants to know what happened to her kittens left on board while she and I went ashore."
 
"The cat's a ghost, too?" I asked.
 
"She is," Star said.
 
I almost choked on my own spit. I had entered the wildest nightmare in the universe.. First, a ghost blockade runner. Second, a ghost cat. And me, the guy who knew ghosts did not exist. Notice, I used the past tense knew.""What next?" I shouldn't have asked.
 

 
 

 
 
Then there's LISTEN TO THE GHOST, which won't be for sale for much longer. Watch for 2017 though. I may try something new.
 
 
Blurb:
All seventeen-year-old Jade Dalton wants to do is show her paintings at Charleston, South Carolina's, annual Piccolo Spoleto Festival, swim in the ocean, forget Kurt Sinclair, her ex-boyfriend and his lying lips, and prove she's as perfect as her brother, David. So how does she end up with Phoebe, a ghost who doesn't want to be a ghost; Doc, a one-hundred-year-old neighbor who talks in riddles; and Matt, a gorgeous saxophone player who changes her opinion about guys?
 
 
Jade and Matt are soon caught up in a desperate search for two wedding bands that will set Phoebe free. They must find the rings by Jade's eighteenth birthday, the same day that Phoebe was to marry her fiancé, Isaac, in 1923, or she is doomed to remain a ghost for eternity.

###

 
This cover will soon be gone.
 
Happy Reading!



36 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your post immensely Beverly, I haven't seen or heard any Halloween activiities yet.
    Loved the pics and the review.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvonne. We never have trick-or-treaters here in the country. Too dark. No street lights. Few houses.

      Delete
  2. I love ghost stories! I've never written one but think it would be fun. Think you've just inspired an idea...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, Karin. Great for the inspiration. Get busy now. Write, write, write.

      Delete
  3. We always watched the Charlie Brown special.
    I've never written a ghost story either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some day you might, Alex. One never knows what story will be next.

      Delete
  4. I've incorporated ghosts into my stories but never did a true ghost one. Charlie Brown special is a good one to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ghosts make stories more exciting, Pat, in my humble opinion. Yes, Charlie Brown is a good one.

      Delete
  5. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. It's all about pretend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why Halloween is so much fun, Katie: the ghosts, black cats, witches, and pretend. The last few years I taught we couldn't decorate our rooms with witches and such. Some people have no sense of fun.

      Delete
  6. I have yet to read the Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

    I'm excited to see what you have in store for Listen to the Ghost. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now, Chrsy, I have no idea what I'll do with it. Thinking, thinking.

      Delete
  7. Ooo, so my copy of Listen to the Ghost might be worth money one day ;) I love scary movies and have a lot of favorites. My favorite Halloween themed movie is probably Hocus Pocus - so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha! Wouldn't that be neat, Kai. I'll cross my fingers. I gave several copies to the local Children's Aid Society, along with other books. They're gathering gifts for the children's Christmas.
      I haven't heard of Hocus Pocus. Must check on it.

      Delete
  8. Sleepy Hollow... I've never read the original, but I've seen every movie adaptation. I love that story. So creepy but awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creepy is good, Crystal. The movies are creepier than the book.

      Delete
  9. One of the stories I'm working on involves a ghost. It's fun.

    Do you know what you're going to do with that second book yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ghost stories are fun, Diane. There's so much you can do with them.
      I've been thinking about what my options for the second book. The former publisher said I can use their edited edition, so that's no problem. Will do something with it because I like Rebel and her pets.

      Delete
  10. Great Halloween reads! I really enjoyed your excerpt too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was an awesome treat, Beverly. Very spooky. But fun. Oh, and I love your shirt in the photo below. Your son was right, looking up adds a star-trekkie-meets-author quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joylene. Oh! I like the "star-trekkie-meets-author quality." Very neat.

      Delete
  12. I am halfway though an MG novel that involves a ghost, but it's been on the back shelf for awhile. You are inspiring me to take it out, dust it off, and get it moving again. I like the little "taster" you offered for Halloween. Spooky—and intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to inspire you, Elizabeth. It's easy to let things go; maybe it's time now to finish your novel. That's the fun of Halloween. It' spooky and fun and whatever we want it to be.

      Delete
  13. These sound great. Yes, I vote for a new scary book for 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2017 will soon be here, Stephanie. I can't believe it. New scary book sounds just right.

      Delete
  14. I love It's a Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. I haven't seen it yet this year. :)

    Ghost stories are so fun this time of year and I love that you have two!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen it either so far, Jess. Maybe this weekend.

      Ghost stories are such fun to read and write. Thanks.

      Delete
  15. Love these stories! They never stop bing fun to read and share. Great choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have been around a long time c lee. Still as good as ever. Thanks.

      Delete
  16. I loved going trick-or-treating as a kid. It's sad many kids only get to go to parties now since adults are too scared to let them go around the neighborhood. Times changed for the worse... Your books are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did I, Lexa. The world today has changed, and I'm not sure for the better. We used to roam the neighborhood at night and not be afraid of anything. No more.

      Delete
  17. I LOVE Sleepy Hollow :)

    I hope you have a good Halloween :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,Optimistic. May you have a creepy good Halloween too. I hope to see Sleepy Hollow on TV this year. Not sure if it will be.

      Delete
  18. Sleepy Hollow ... that's, in part, to what Motley's book II is based on. But shh... it's a secret. :) Love that story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? How exciting. You've made me curious. My lips are sealed. Geet busy writing.:)

      Delete