Tuesday, October 18, 2016

BOOK LAUNCH LYNDA R. YOUNG

Today I have the pleasure of being a part of Author Lynda R. Young's book launch for her new book, CLING TO GOD: A DAILY DEVOTIONAL.

 
This is a beautiful cover.
 
Cling to God: A Daily Devotional.
by Lynda R Young
Release date: October 18th, 2016
Published by Freedom Fox Press

Tagline: Cling to God in the chaos of life…
Blurb: Cling to God is a book of devotionals for every day of the year. The aim is to encourage Christians in their faith, to help them think about their beliefs and learn more about God. The devotions are short and inspirational so that people with busy lifestyles will still be able to spend time with the Lord each day. It will appeal to a wide Christian audience, to those new in their faith as well as those matured beyond milk and honey.
 
(Here's what Lynda has to say about writing her book.)
 
 
The Setbacks Faced While Writing Cling to God
by Lynda R Young


Thank you Beverly for lending me your blog while I share my happy news about Cling to God, my debut daily devotional with an inspirational thought for every day of the year.

Getting to this point of publication wasn’t always an easy path, so I thought I’d share some of the setbacks I faced while writing this book.

1. A slow start. Cling to God hadn’t started as a devotional book, or any kind of book, for that matter. It simply grew from a collection of random thoughts I’d scribbled in a journal to clarify my understanding of certain Bible verses. This meant it took a long time before it became a focus pieced of writing.

2. Lack of credentials. Once the idea of turning the thoughts into a book blossomed, I had to do my research on how I was going to make it happen. I learned quickly that with non-fiction, a platform or some kind of actual credentials were required. I had nothing. I was just a girl who loved her Lord and wanted to share her understanding of Him and what it’s like to live a Christian life. All the big name publishers were looking for the next Max Lucado or Joyce Meyer, which clearly I wasn’t. I tried building a platform but I didn’t want to be a big speaker and I still had no kind of official authority, so I gave up and put the manuscript in a drawer and started writing fiction.

3. Doubts. I often thought about my devotional gathering dust. It never felt right to leave it untouched, hidden. I’d put an awful lot of work into it. It was polished and ready. But my doubts held me back. It wasn’t until a personal experience of loss reminded me that life was too short for doubts. So I thought, ok, I’ll self-publish it.

4. Time. Time has a way of slipping past when there’s no external deadline. Self-publishing had a steep learning curve and I kept putting it off in favour of my many other projects. That’s when I decided to send it off again to see if a publisher would accept it after all this time. And they did! I was so thrilled. I now had real deadlines to work toward, and a sharp-eyed editor who found all my little mistakes. And now it has been released into the world.

So that was the book’s journey to this day. I encourage anyone thinking of giving up to try again. We have so many options now as writers. Explore them all!

 
 
 
 
Thank you, Lynda, for "borrowing" my blog today. I'm so happy to hear about your new book. Come back anytime.

28 comments:

  1. I imagine a devotional is a lot of work to put together. But that work paid off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading it, Alex. A good devotional is one of my favorite reads.

      Delete
  2. Goes to show that keeping on keeping on and trying sure can pay off indeed. Congrats once more on the release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does, Pat. Good for Lynda. I hope her book is a huge success.

      Delete
  3. And it's wonderful she can now share it with the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, L. Diane. I'll be ordering a copy next month. Love to read a devotional each evening.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much, Beverly, for having me.

    Alex, I hadn't imagined how much work would go into creating a devotional, but now I do!

    Pat, thanks so much. To keep trying really made the difference.

    Diane, it's truly awesome. Thanks for making it possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your book, Lynda. I'll be ordering it soon. I've almost finished the devotional book I have, so the timing is perfect.

      Delete
    2. That's so wonderful! Thanks again for your support and encouragement, Beverly.

      Delete
    3. My pleasure, Lynda. Have a great launch.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful sounding book and cover! I will have to get a copy. Congratulations, Lynda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds a wonderful book, I applaud the author's writing and wish her well with the sales.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading it, Yvonne. Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  7. Karin, Thank you. I hope you get a lot from the book.

    Yvonne, thanks so much for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Lynda! Perseverance pays off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! You never know what will happen until you leap! Here's to leaping and enjoying the free fall before you land.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, Lynda! I'm glad you got past those setbacks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I, Chrys, because she now has a lovely book. :)

      Delete
  11. Congrats Lynda! This sounds like such a great book.


    www.ficklemillennial.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet! I am looking for a new devotional, I just finished reading through a commentary (reading three chapters per day through Old and New Testaments).. would like something a bit thought provoking next time! <3 - http://www.domesticgeekgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking for a new one too. Lynda's sounds like the one. Reading three chapters of the Bible a day sounds inspirational.

      Delete
  13. Sweet! I am looking for a new devotional, I just finished reading through a commentary (reading three chapters per day through Old and New Testaments).. would like something a bit thought provoking next time! <3 - http://www.domesticgeekgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations, Lynda!!! I think you have all the right credentials.

    ReplyDelete