Wednesday, September 7, 2016

INSECURE WRITER'S SUPPORT GROUP

Today is the Insecure Writer's Support Group.
 
 

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time.
Link back to the page.

 Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Our Twitter is @TheIWSG and hashtag #IWSG
And we’re revving up IWSG Day to make it more fun and interactive! Every month, we'll announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG Day post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say.
September 7 question is: How do you find the time to write in your busy day? 
 
Awesome Ninja Alex J. Cavanaugh is the founder of IWSG.
 
His awesome co-hosts for the September 7 posting of the IWSG will be C. Lee McKenzie, Rachel Pattison, Elizabeth Seckman, Stephanie Faris, Lori L MacLaughlin, and Elsie Amata!


How Do I Find the Time to Write in My Busy Day?
 
To start with, since I'm a retired teacher, my time is pretty much my own. No job to rush off to. No kids at home to get ready for school. Just a couple of cats that demand their snacks at a certain time of the day, their naps when it pleases them, and of course three meals a day, with an extra one thrown in when they decide they're hungry, or I happen to be staring at my computer, wishing the idea fairy would give me some ideas on what to write.
 
I do like to write in the mornings, from 9 AM to Noon. My brain works better those hours. Unless I have errands to run, these are my office hours, with breaks only when the cats sit there and stare at me, or get in a fight, or some other evil they think of to interrupt my  creative typing fingers.
 
By afternoon, my brain has decided to take a holiday, and I mostly blog or work on promotion ideas, or do "me" things, like play the piano, exercise, etc.
 
My days are busy, and I don't know where the hours go. Which reminds me. I have great respect for you writers with children, jobs, and other activities that fill your days. I do not know how you find the time to write. I guess when something is your passion, you make the time. I remember those days when my boys were still home and I was teaching. Hectic but fun days.
 
Happy Writing to You All.
 
 
Patches enjoys her snack.
 
 



32 comments:

  1. My problem is Beverly I have too much time on my hands,
    Loved the kitty photo.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, Yvonne. Sometimes the days seen too long, but I get out my computer and type my stories, which helps. And I read, a lot more than I ever thought I would. I hope you can find ways to make the days busier.

      Delete
  2. Patches is a cutie.

    Being self-employed, my businesses come first, which sometimes doesn't leave time for writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. Patches has her moments.
      I don't see how you do everything. You must be very organized.

      Delete
  3. Cats are all I have too. Not sure I'd have the same time to write if kids were in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids do take a lot of the parents' time, Pat. Cats, maybe not so much. However, my two fur babies have me in a routine to please them. :)

      Delete
  4. I went from writing full time to having 2 jobs, which I start in full force today. Sigh. Of course now that my time is limited, my writing bug is back. OF COURSE! Oh well, I kinda knew this would happen and was one of the reasons I decided to fill my day. *sigh* Here's to time management!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why is it that life is so unpredictable, Kai? You can do it though. Who needs to sleep, anyway? :) Enjoy your new jobs and also your writing bug. So happy it came back to you.

      Delete
  5. You're fortunate you have those hours to write. I think your cats are just as fortunate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to not have to go to an outside job everyday, Alex. I miss it some, but staying home is great too. Yeah, my fur babies are spoiled. They always get their way.

      Delete
  6. I haven't yet figured out when my brain works best. I used to think it was in the morning, but I seem to have a tough time getting going now that I don't have to get up and go to an office every day. I end up checking email and social media early in the morning, then starting work (writing). For fiction, it seems I do work better in the evening for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever works for you, Stephanie. I'd like to write in the evenings, and sometimes I do, but then I get sidetracked with reading or watching a ball game or playing with the cats. It doesn't really matter when we write, as long as we write.

      Delete
  7. This is my first time here. I've joined your blog.
    I'm physically and mentally tired at night. I'm a morning person. And yes, many times I just stare at the blasted blip. My kids keep me in line, and my husband wants his time too. I need to tuck writing in here and there. All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Victoria. Thanks for joining my blog. So happy to meet you. Good for your kids and your husband. I know the just staring at the blip. Thank goodness it doesn't last forever. Good luck with your writing. You can do it.

      Delete
  8. My brain works best in the morning too - I find it hard to get out of bed, but once I roll out of it, I find I'm much more productive in the mornings than I am in the afternoons. Love the photo of your cat - so adorable! Best of luck with your writing!

    Rachel x
    September IWSG co-host

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, Rachel. I always want just five more minutes in bed. Like you, once I'm up, I'm eager to get busy with my writing.
      Thanks. Patches is a character, always in trouble. She thinks she a people sometimes.
      Good luck with your writing too.

      Delete
  9. Hi,
    I can so identify with writing in the mornings because I write also in the mornings but start at 11 and write until three or four. And I take a nice four hour break and then start writing again in the evenings because that is when I write best also.
    All the best with your writing.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat Garcia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breaks are good, Pat. We need a change of pace, I think. I take a break in the afternoon too and do "me" things.
      Thank you. Best wishes to you and your writing, as well.

      Delete
  10. I always find myself busy with blogging and other stuff to write in the morning. I do my best writing in the afternoon. Especially in the evening after dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mornings can be busy, Chrys. The whole day can be for that matter. So we have to work around other events in our lives.

      Delete
  11. I like to work early in the morning and late at night. The middle of the day seems so busy with errands, housework, phone calls, engagements, and other things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are times I like, too, Medeia. Days can get hectic.

      Delete
  12. My routine changes quite often but these days, I use my mornings to nourish my mind (through freewriting, reading, and learning art/a set of skills other than writing). Then my afternoons are used for clients' books. At night, if I'm not still burning on my clients' projects, I write and revise my own stories. I can imagine your routine, Beverly. Sounds heavenly, especially the piano session in the afternoon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like you are well organized, Claudine. Your days are full. Yes, I'm content. Have a good weekend.

      Delete
  13. Life is definitely full, eh? I think it's just a question of letting things go once you get to a certain level of crazy. Laundry? Meh. Dishes? Maybe later. Vacuuming? No. Stepping outside my house to socialize? DEFINITELY no. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do have your hands full with your children, Crystal. I remember. I also agree. All that cleaning just has to be done over again, so why get in a hurry? Family and writing are the important things. Have a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  14. I like to write in the morning when I can too. Work does get in the way during the week though. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we have to make adjustments, Jess, especially jobs and kids and unexpected events.

      Delete
  15. I do need to carve time out of my day for some writing. But with all the editing and formatting jobs I do for clients, my day just goes away so fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we do so much for others it is hard to find time for our own work, Nas. If we could figure out a way to have longer days... Until then, we just have to make the time, at least I do. Have a lovely week.

      Delete
  16. Nine to noon are my most productive hours too. I hit the afternoon slump most days. I push through it, but it's not the same as my morning productivity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Kelly. Afternoons are for napping or walking or reading. Maybe our brains are telling us we need a break. Have a lovely week.

      Delete