Monday, August 22, 2016

THREE REVIEWS!

Quote for the week: Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it. Bruce Lee

Today, I have some reviews. I'm trying to reduce the size of the book tower in my closet. Enjoy.



THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN Review

By Katherine Applegate

 

I love animals, domesticated and wild. I hate to see animals mistreated, as though they have no feelings. I’ve often thought keeping an animal in a cage goes against nature. If you love animals too, then you must read THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN, Newbery Winner by Katherine Applegate.

 

Ivan is a silverback gorilla. I know very little about gorillas but after reading the first few pages of the novel, where Ivan speaks to the reader, telling us about himself, with a touch of sadness as well as acceptance and even a bit of humor, I loved Ivan.

 

Then there’s the elephant Stella and Bob, the dog. Later ,Ruby, a baby elephant, comes into the story. Reading about their lives made me angry and sad. How can humans treat animals with such cruelty? Of course, some treat people just as bad, or worse.

 

The author’s writing is beautiful. In sparse, honest sentences, Ivan and the other animals tell their stories. I felt their pain and the helplessness of each one's situation. Everyone, from school-age children to adults should read this novel and see the thoughts of the animals, then, perhaps they would understand that animals have feelings and hurt and want love, much the way people do. I highly recommend this story for school libraries and classrooms.

 

###
 



NAVIGATING EARLY Review

By Clare Vander pool (ARC from publisher)

 

Sometimes, a person has little control over his/her life. In the case of a child, the parent usually is in charge. NAVIGATING EARLY, by Author Clare Vanderpool, is the story of Jack Baker who travels from his home in Kansas, across the states to a boarding school in Maine, near to the Naval Shipyard, where his father was stationed. When Jack meets Early Auden, the weirdest boy in school, an adventure begins for the two.

 

NAVIGATING EARLY is the story of a quest. As the boys search for the meaning of their lives, they encounter pirates, treasures, secrets, and a bear, along with other characters that influence their thoughts in different ways.

 

Is a person really strange because he counts jelly beans and reads numbers as if they’re a story? And what is this obsession with Pi? The story will have young readers wondering about many of the things the two boys are searching for.

 

The author has written a story that young readers should find fascinating. A great addition to elementary, middle school libraries.

 

###



CLOCKWISE Review

By Elle Straus

 

Have you ever wished you could travel back in time, perhaps to a specific era and or place? Well, in CLOCKWISE, YA time travel novel by Elle Straus, you can travel back to the 19th Century with Casey, which is one of my favorite time periods. So much happened in the 1800s, and the reader sees some of it in the author’s story.

                                                           

Casey is a time traveler. She doesn’t plan it; it just happens. Well, one time, Nate, the boy she likes but who has a girlfriend, accidentally goes back to the 1860s with Casey. Now, how does one explain to a surprised time traveler why the people are dressed differently and act differently, and where the heck are they, anyhow?

 

CLOCKWISE is a fun read. Poor Casey faces one problem after another, and not only when she’s in another time period. If only she could control when and where she went. The author also gives the reader a bit of history, which I, as a history lover, enjoyed.

 

So, add a copy to your TBR list and have fun traveling to another time and place with our heroine.  I did.

 

###
 
Happy Reading!

16 comments:

  1. All reviews are wonderful especially about the animals.
    Hope all three authors have excellent luck with the sales.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. I bet they do because they're good stories.

      Delete
  2. They all sure sound like great reads. They all have really great covers too that catch the eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great cover helps, Pat. These are good ones.

      Delete
  3. Great quote and reviews, Beverly! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin. I enjoyed the books, especially Ivan.

      Delete
  4. I've seen quite a few good reviews for Ivan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's why the book won the Newbery Award, Alex. I've read some of the author's other books too. She's good.

      Delete
  5. These all sound great! I've seen the Ivan book somewhere before. Maybe in the bookstore at my SCBWI conference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been around a couple of years, Stephanie. I imagine most book stores carry it, since it's a winner.

      Delete
  6. Three very different books, and they all carry something special. I'd read all of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all quite different, Chrys. I enjoy reading a variety of books. Sounds like you do too.

      Delete
  7. These so varied! I'd have a terrible time reading about Ivan. That I know. Thanks for telling us about these, Beverly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, C Lee. I hate the way animals are treated sometimes. Ivan is such a sweet gorilla. He tells such a beautiful story. Sure makes a person love him.

      Delete
  8. I loved The One and Only Ivan. I haven't read the other two books- but they sound great as well. Ivan is also fantastic on audio for anyone who wants to listen to it. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I bet Ivan is good on audio. I'd love to hear him speak. Thanks for telling us, Jess.

      Delete