Wednesday, August 31, 2016

THE SECRET OF HILLCREST HOUSE and THE MEDALLION (THE BERNOVEM CHRONICLES BOOK 3)

Today is the last day of August. Where did the summer go? Looking forward to the cooler temperatures that September usually brings. Light rain is falling outside now as I write this. I'm delighted to share with you a couple of novels that I just finished reading. And to think, I once was a non-reader. Just goes to show that a person can change.

Spooky old houses fascinate me. How about you?



THE SECRET OF HILLCREST HOUSE Review

By Melanie Robertson-King

 

 

Do you like to wander through old, abandoned houses, hoping maybe to spot a ghost? Do you wonder what happened to the family or families that once lived there? Do you enjoy discovering secrets?

 

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you’ll want to read THE SECRET OF HILLCREST HOUSE, by Author Melanie Robertson-King. And I forgot to mention there’s a pretty hot romance, with some graphic scenes, as well.

 

From the very first pages of the story, the author gives us a mystery to solve when Jessica Maitland sees someone on the porch of the old house she just bought. It’s supposed to be empty, and has been for a long time, but rumors do say the house is haunted. Has Jessica seen a ghost or is it only her imagination? And that’s just the beginning of weird happenings in Jessica’s life. She’s not interested in romance; neither is Alain Fournier, police constable of the town. When the two of them meet, however, they try hard to not get involved with each other. Sometimes love knows best.

 

Told from both Jessica’s and Alain’s points of view, the reader learns each of their stories and also makes amazing discoveries along with the characters about the old house and its own story. They also learn a lot about themselves.

 

Characters that could be your next door neighbors, a good mystery to solve, and a romance that goes from hand-holding to sizzling. Melanie Robertson-King has covered them all. So enjoy reading THE SECRET OF HILLCREST HOUSE. I did.
 
 
 
This cover is magical and sure caught my attention! How about you?
 
 
THE MEDALLION (THE BERNOVEM CHRONICLES BOOK 3) Review
By Victoria Simcox
 
 
Good things don’t always happen when we want them to, and we have to wait. The waiting often is worth it, though. Take Author Victoria Simcox’s latest novel, THE MEDALLION (THE BERNOVEM CHRONICLES BOOK 3) in her series.  After reading the first two books I looked forward to the next one. And it finally is here.
 
 In THE MEDALLION (THE BERNOVEM CHRONICLES BOOK 3) we meet our favorite characters again, along with some not so favorite characters, the troublemakers, of course. As we travel along with Kristina and Hector through the world of Bernovem, in their search for the Wizard Azaril, we encounter all sorts of strange creatures: angels, a dragon, serpent, and bats. The author describes each character vividly, making them seem almost alive.
 
Then there’s Sentiz, the queen, on a quest of her own to find the Medallion and insure she’ll be the ruler of Bernovem. Several plots are going on in the story, and the author switches to different point-of-view characters to let the reader see their thoughts and reactions to the events taking place.
 
If you enjoy reading about magic, amazing and unusual creatures, some good, some evil, then pick up a copy of THE MEDALLION and travel along with Kristina and the other characters as they face almost impossible odds to reach their goals.  Victoria Simcox has written another lovely story that will charm you and have you waiting for the next book in the series.
 
 
These are quite different kinds of novels. I enjoy a variety. Do you, or do you prefer to read one kind of book?
 
Happy Reading!
 
 

16 comments:

  1. Two excellent reviews Beverly, the fist I don't like to wander around spooky places but the boo sounds wonderful.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvonne. I don't care for spooky places when I'm alone. If someone is with me, it might be fun.

      Delete
  2. I'll read anything once at my sea too, well almost anything, sure there are some I won't. Spooky houses are neat indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good, Pat. You never know whether you'll like a story until you read it, or start to. You can always stop of you don't like it.

      Delete
  3. Both books sound great! I love creepy old houses. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love ghost stories, so the premise of this one definitely intrigues me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't read too many fantasy or magical books, but I do enjoy abandoned houses and ghosts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ghosts and abandoned houses have a certain fascination for me too, Medeiz.

      Delete
  6. Oh my. Ever since I read The Amityville Horror, I love abandoned houses as well as get chills thinking about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Amityville Horror is a good one. Abandoned houses fascinate me too, Olivia. Add a ghost and I'm in.

      Delete
  7. Your reviews are always so good. How do you read so fast? And you know me...I like ghost stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrys. I try to give my honest opinion. Actually, I don't read fast unless it's a book with a launch day, which both of these were. Other books take me much longer to read. Ghosts are some of my favorite characters too.

      Delete
  8. Great reviews! I didn't realize the third book was out in Victoria's series. I read and enjoyed the first two and now I will be looking for book 3. Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete