Wednesday, August 3, 2016

SIGN OF THE GREEN DRAGON LAUNCH and IWSG DAY

This is a busy, busy Wednesday, so let's get started. First. I'm excited to be a part of C. Lee McKenzie's book launch for her latest novel SIGN OF THE GREEN DRAGON. The book we've been waiting for is here. If you haven't read it yet, you should. And if you have sons, grandsons, neighbors' boys, friends kids, including girls, give them copies, so they can take the journey and solve the mystery along with Sam and his friends.
 This is a fascinating cover. Sure catches my attention.

Blurb:

Three plucky sleuths. A crumbling skeleton. A buried treasure.

After six months in a new school, Sam’s finally fitting in. He’s the one kid with enough talent to hit the winning home run and bring the baseball trophy back to Haggarty Elementary. But Sam’s guardian is shipping him off to boarding school before that can happen.

When teammates, Joey and Roger, hear his bad news, they plot to hide him until the big game. Their secret cave is a perfect place until an earthquake shatters a wall and reveals a wooden chest with a red-eyed dragon carved into its top. Inside, a bony hand clutches a map with a note, promising treasure.

With Joey and Roger, Sam sets off to track down the clues and hopefully discover treasure. When some puzzle pieces start to make sense, the boys become lost in a labyrinth of underground tunnels, trapped by dangerous thieves and sealed inside an airless tomb.

Sign of the Green Dragon gets a high five for fantasy, fun and some fearsome adventure. If you like intrepid would-be knights on impossible and dangerous quests, you’ll love this story. As one reader says, this book, “has more twists than a dragon’s tail.”

Buy now to jump into the adventure.

AMAZON

BARNES AND NOBLE

And other stores

You can see my earlier review here:


Now for the fabulous Author's bio:

I love to write for young readers. Sign of the Green Dragon is my third Middle Grade novel. Alligators Overhead and the sequel, The Great Time Lock Disaster were my first two. I’m proud to be a hybrid author with three Indie books out along with four traditionally published young adult novels: Sliding on the Edge, The Princess of Las Pulgas, Double Negative and Sudden Secrets. It’s fun to know both sides of this writing business. 



When I’m not writing I’m thinking about it or scratching my head over how all of this started. 



Media Links:








 
C. Lee McKenzie has written another winner.
 
###
 
This is also the first Wednesday of August, which means THE INSECURE WRTIERS' SUPPORT GROUP

The Insecure Writer’s Support Group 
Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. Link to this page.

Awesome Ninja Alex J. Cavanaugh is the founder o f the IWSG.

His awesome co-hosts for the August 3 posting of the IWSG will be Tamara Narayan, Tonja Drecker, Ellen @ The Cynical Sailor, Lauren @ Pensuasion, Stephen Tremp, and Julie Flanders!

The question for August is "What was your very first piece of writing as an aspiring  writer? Where is it now? Collecting dust or has it been published?"

Great question. It sure brings back memories.

When I was in eighth grade, my English teacher sent my poem "Stars" to a high school anthology and it was published in YOUNG AMERICA SINGS. However, at the time, I was not an aspiring writer. I only wrote the poem so I wouldn't flunk English.

Fast forward a few years. I had no desire to be a writer. My family kept me busy. I was a teacher in  an elementary school. Actually, my students gave me the first hint that I might enjoy writing, though they hadn't a clue what I was thinking. We did a lot of fun experiments in science, hands on stuff. The kids also were very creative in art class. As I watched my students, having fun and learning at the same time, I started thinking, perhaps some of the children's magazines would like to publish our activities or other things we did at school.   

Do you remember the fire drills where we went outside, lined up, and waited for the all-clear signal to go back into the building? In my science/health classes, we also talked about having a fire drill at the kids' homes. It was a program called EDITH, Exit Drills In The Home. So ... 

Yes, you guessed it. I wrote an article about EDITH, which teaches children what to do if their home catches fire.  Then I searched for children's magazines that might be interested. This was years ago, so I don't remember how many places I sent it, but one day I came home from school, and an envelope was in the mailbox. Inside was a copy of the magazine and a check. My article had sold, and I didn't even know. This was a TV Guide type of magazine. I was so excited, for I'd made my first sale. There was no stopping me.

 
The year was 1992
 
 
I still have my $50 bucks, framed.
 
If I can do it, you can do it.
 
Happy Reading and Writing!
 

29 comments:

  1. First Good luck to Lee on her new book, hope the sales rocket.
    Your first attempt at writing was great to read, strange how we never forget it.
    I wrote my first poem 25 yrs ago and seeing I hated poetry at school it tome was an achievement, I didn't write another for 4 yrs on the birth of my first grandchild. I had them both published 8 yrs ago in my first book.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The memories are nice, Yvonne. It's interesting too, how you hated poetry at school and look at you now. One never knows what the future holds.

      Delete
  2. Big congratulations to Lee!
    That's awesome you wrote the article and it was accepted. And writing a poem so you didn't flunk English is really funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was excited, Alex. For quite a while I wrote articles for children's magazines. They were fun to do. Yeah, flunking English would have been embarrassing.

      Delete
  3. Congrats to Lee once more.

    Kids sure can spur on ideas. Awesome you got the article in and the rest is history indeed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, if we watch, kids they're full of interesting stories and don't even know it. I wrote quite a few articles for children's magazine. They actually pay well.

      Delete
  4. Today is a great day for The Sign of the Green Dragon to launch. I had it on my calendar to remind me to buy it. :) Congrats, C Lee!

    How cool that your article was published! I've tried publishing a few with no luck. And yours, I'm sure, educated so many children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read it, Chrys. Lee's novel is a good one. There are a lot of magazines out there. I haven't written for any for awhile, but enjoyed it when I did.

      Delete
  5. Congrats to Lee.

    That little article launched a whole new career for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for Lee!

    That's epic, truly epic. What a great way to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing for magazines was fun, Crystal. I should go back to it, I guess. But am having too much fun now to change.

      Delete
  7. You've had so many wonderful writing successes, Beverly. I know there are more in your future, too! Thanks so much for posting about my book on its birthday. You're wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're right, Lee. I always wonder.
      My pleasure to share your lovely book with others. Birthdays are so much fun.

      Delete
  8. That's one of the best, most down to Earth start stories I've read yet. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, T. Drecker. I appreciate your kind words. You're very welcome.

      Delete
  9. Congrats to Lee on her big release day!
    That's such a great story about your first sale! I love that you just received the check without even knowing the article had sold. What a wonderful surprise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a total surprise, loril, and those are the kinds we like. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. So excited to see Lee's book here today. We are reviewing it on our blog tomorrow. :) Such an awesome cover and story!

    I loved hearing more about your writing beginnings. The poem may have been an assignment- but it is still cool that you were published in an anthology. I think the story about the article you wrote getting published is just fantastic. Definitely inspiring! I am always wishing I would get money in the mail by surprise- and you actually did for your writing. :)

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Jess. Looking forward to your review. Lee is so good at writing for tweens.
      It is exciting to get money in the mail, especially that first time. I'd like to see some more, except now it's usually through Pay Pal. :)

      Delete
  11. How exciting!!! They didn't even let you know they were publishing your piece until you got the contributors' copy? I've seen that happen recently to someone--she sent a story on spec to an online site an submitted it at the same time somewhere else. The first place published it without telling her and she had to burn a bridge with the other place because THEY contacted her to tell her they wanted it. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't, Stephanie. I was pleasantly surprised. I hadn't sent the article anywhere else, so it worked out okay. That would be a difficult situation for two publishers to want a story at the same time. I suppose she told them she'd sent it elsewhere too.

      Delete
  12. What a great story, Beverly! I love reading how other writers started their journey. Congratulations and best of luck with your book, Lee. I love the cover, and it sounds like a wonderful book for young readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes, Karin. I'm hoping it will be well received.

      Delete
  13. Beginnings are always so exciting and yours certainly was, Beverly. What a treasure for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, Lee. If only every thing I send out was so lucky. :) Hope your latest novel is doing well and making lots of fans.

      Delete
  14. What a great story. Sounds you had exciting start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nas. It's been an exciting ride. I've received lots of "No, thanks," along with acceptances. The first is always exciting. Well, they all are. :)

      Delete