Wednesday, July 6, 2016

IWSG and TAKE TIME TO SMELL THE ROSES

Another new month, another new IWSG. Tell me, where did June go? I think I blinked and missed it. Anyhow, today is  dedicated to The Insecure Writer’s Support Group 

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Ninja Alex J. Cavanaugh is the founder of the IWSG

Our Twitter is @TheIWSG and hashtag #IWSG

Something new has been added this month to make IWSG Day more fun and interactive! Every month, we'll announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG Day post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say.

July 6th question: What's the best thing someone has ever said about your writing?

Alex's co-hosts for July 6 are  Yolanda Renee, Tyrean Martinson, Madeline Mora-Summonte , LK Hill, Rachna Chhabria, and JA Scott!


TAKE  TIME TO SMELL THE ROSES
 
Just a couple of thoughts today. For a while I was frustrated. No matter how hard I worked I never seemed to accomplish anything. Every day I made my list of things to do, my writing and other tasks. At nighttime, more than half of them were still not done.
 
Then one day, that little light bulb in my head blinked on. If I didn't finish writing that chapter today, who would care? There's always tomorrow, as Scarlett would say. If I didn't vacuum the carpet, the cats did not care. They'd just mess it up anyhow.  If I neglected to Tweet today. The birds would still be there when I had time.  If that book review did not get written, who would know? And on and on.
 
So, here's what I did. First I cut my list of to-do things in half and spread them out through the week, instead of all in one day. Then I spend more time walking and enjoying God's beautiful world. And yes, I give the cats more attention.
 
And you know what. I'm writing more pages a day, since I'm not stressed about it. And I'm enjoying watching the baseball games or whatever and actually checking off the goals I accomplish each day, though they are fewer than before. At least they're done.
 
So if you're stressed and pulling all your hair out, take time each day to smell the roses. You'll be glad you did.
 
Don't forget the contest I mentioned on Monday to win those lovely playing cards.
 
Happy reading. (And smelling the roses or daises, if you prefer.)

40 comments:

  1. I love roses Beverly they certainly do have a wonderful aroma about them. My first "Pen name" was EnglishRose.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EnglishRose is a lovely pen name, Yvonne. I've tried to grow roses, without much success. Weeds grow great for me.

      Delete
  2. I've learned to ease back on my to-do list. I feel better if I can get it all done. Plus this year I have a garden and it does force me to go out there once a day to tend to it, which is relaxing. (Anyone want some tomatoes?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so do I, Diane. My son had a garden and I really enjoyed his crops. The tomatoes were yummy. The heat is taking a toll on the vegetables now though. Back to store bought stuff which isn't nearly as good.

      Delete
  3. Yep, taking time to smell the roses is the way to be. As the cats sure need attention. The writing will get done when it gets done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Pat, cats demand attention. I've learned to put important things first.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Playing the music is great, Alex. I play a little piano and it sure is relaxing.

      Delete
  5. Amen and seconded. Really living is the only way to go. Stress kills the creative juices. I need to follow your example and spread my to-do list, but I can't see how everything will get done if I spread it any further. Maybe I just need a minion. Or a clone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see how you do everything you do, Crystal. Children take up a lot of time, not to mention the other mommy things. A clone would be nice, but I think you do a super job to find time for your writing.

      Delete
  6. You're so right. No more house cleaning on the weekends ;) I just wish the day job agreed with this philosophy of spreading out the to-dos. LOL. Thanks for sharing, Beverly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the house just gets dirty again, Gwen, so why bother? It will work out for you, just relax and let it happen. :)

      Delete
  7. You are such an inspiration, Beverly. I love, love, love this attitude. I'm currently working through a major bought of writer's anxiety and it all but has me paralyzed in my career. Perhaps your advice can help me make a decision on which path to follow next. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kai, I think, at my age, I've finally learned not to stress so much. It took me awhile cause I used to be a worrier about every little thing. Hang in there. You write lovely stories. I'm waiting for more, as I'm sure your fans are too. I'm always here if you want to talk. You'll make the right choices. My faith is in you.

      Delete
  8. So, what was the best thing anyone's said about you're writing? And good on you for giving yourself a much-needed break. Sometimes you need to let the well refill, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left that off didn't I, Rhonda? I couldn't think of one particular thing, but mostly when a teen wants to know when my next book is out. That makes me happy. Yes, I've learned to slow down and not push myself. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. Wise words, Beverly! It's so hard to stay in the moment but so important for our well-being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie. Yes, I think most of us think we're super heroes and can do more than we do. Thanks for stopping by. Relax. Enjoy the day. :)

      Delete
  10. Truer words were never spoken, Beverly. I've spent the past few months focusing on my mental and physical health and feel great now.

    I keep my to-do lists manageable so I don't become frustrated. Hope you enjoyed your holiday! Eva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, lifepost. Good for you. We are important and need to take care of ourselves. Yes, I'm learning to control that to-do list. My holiday was restful. Thanks. Hope you had a good one too.

      Delete
  11. Wishing you all the best! Of course when someone would ask when is the next book out would be the best compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We can only do so much in a day, and there's always tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Chrys. Tomorrow is another day, (or something similar) Scarlett always said.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. I agree, Anna. A good thing to remember. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  14. That's a wonderful way to look at it. I've slowed down too, and admit to watching a bit more TV than I used to (my favorite shows "So You Think You Can Dance" and "Project Runway" were on in June. Woohoo!) They make me happy. Sadly, they're over and it's time to start writing, which I haven't down in 3 months...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Lexa. I think we tend to push ourselves too much sometimes. I haven't heard of either show. The dancing one sounds interesting. Well, you've had a nice rest from writing, so should be ready to go. Enjoy.

      Delete
  15. I have slowed down this summer, too, and it's important to give ourselves a break and really enjoy life. It opens up our perceptions of the world and helps us see the blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Tyrean. I get so involved with my writing sometimes I forget to enjoy the beautiful world around me and all my blessings. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  16. I can understand how this would work. By taking the pressure off yourself, a weight is lifted and then you can make headway. I get caught up in "shoulds" - I should do this, etc. Change "should" to "want" and it's more likely to get done. Kudos to your philosophy. Enjoy writing AND fresh air

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Joanne. Love your analogy of "should" and "want." We need "me" time, time to enjoy life. Most likely then we'll accomplish more with our writing or other work we "want" to do. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  17. Thanks for helping me ease back on the task-list, Beverly. Sometimes I feel I put too much on the list. I want to smell the roses more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Claudine. Happy I could help. The roses smell so sweet, don't they.

      Delete
  18. Such good advice. What you get done is enough. We just have to remember that. Thanks, Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Maybe that's what I need to do--just kick back and try to ENJOY writing rather than forcing it! I missed that there was a question--I prewrite all my posts, so if they don't post the question until the last minute, I won't be able to do it. I'll keep watching for next month's question and hold off, but I usually write my posts a month in advance. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure might help, Stephanie. Sometimes we just need to relax, maybe take a walk or listen to music or just daydream and see what happens.
      I think next month's question has been posted, but don't remember what it is. Guess I'd better look again.

      Delete
  20. I am a BIG believer in stopping to smell the roses :) life's too short to do otherwise.

    I wish you a wonderful start to the week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you. You're right about life being too short, so we need to make the best of our time here on earth.
      Thanks for the kind wishes. A great week to you, as well.

      Delete