Wednesday, June 1, 2016

STONE'S HEART Review and IWSG Cats

 
Today, I am excited to host Award-Winning author and dear friend, Darby Karchut, and her latest novel. STONE'S HEART, is a contemporary romance with horses and cowboys. What? you ask. I know, we're used to  reading stories of Celtic Mythology and creatures you don't want to meet in the dark from Darby. Well, you're in for a pleasant surprise, so sit back and enjoy.

I love, love, love this cover, and you're about to learn more about these characters.
 


STONE’S HEART


by


Darby Karchut




Genre: Inspirational romance / modern-day Western

Released May 26, 2016 from Clean Reads Books


ISBN: 978-1-62135-536-6


Blurb:
No way, blue jay, and never again. That’s the vow Linney Van Horn has made regarding single dads and their adorable children. After all, that’s why she tucked tail and hauled herself and her beloved Arabian horse clear across the country from New Jersey to the small town of Venture, Colorado. To mend her bruised heart—and ego—and start over.

However, the good Lord has a different “do-over” in mind for Linney. She finds herself living next door to Stonewall Wheeler, the frustratingly stubborn, but oh, so ruggedly handsome farrier, and his seven-year-old son, Beau.

A widower, Stone has buried himself in his work to avoid the grief of losing his wife. Determined to grow his horse-shoeing business and raise his child, falling in love is the last thing on his mind. Until an equally stubborn—but pretty as a daisy—teacher moves into the cottage besides his, and charms both him and his son.

Divine intervention. Yup, it’s a beautiful thing.

It’s going to take one adorable little boy, a pair of spirited horses, and a near-fatal accident to convince Linney and Stone a second chance at a Grace-filled forever is theirs for the asking.



About the Author:

Darby Karchut is a best selling author, dreamer, and compulsive dawn greeter. She's

been known to run in blizzards and bike in lightning storms. When not dodging death by Colorado, she can be found writing for tweens, teens, and adults. Her debut novel, GRIFFIN RISING, was recently optioned for film. Darby is the author of a dozen books, including FINN FINNEGAN, THE HOUND AT THE GATE, and UNHOLY BLUE. Visit the author at her website: http://www.darbykarchut.com




Social Media:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/darby.karchut



Twitter: https://twitter.com/DarbyKarchut


Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29280139-stone-s-heart



Buy Links:
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Stones-Heart-Darby-Karchut-ebook/dp/B01G69KXAU?ie=UTF8&keywords=Stone%20heart%20darby%20karchut&qid=1464275153&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1


Barnes & Noble: coming soon

Kobo: coming soon

Smashwords: coming soon
 
 


Now how can you resist a story like this? You can't.

Here are my thoughts.


 
STONE'S HEART Review
 
By Darby Karchut



Horses and cowboys. Children and humor. A love that changes everything. Give me a novel with all of these subjects and I will read for hours, which is what I did. Yes, thanks to Award-Winning Author Darby Karchut’s latest novel, STONE’S HEART, I lost myself in a gentle story that brought laughter to my heart, tears to my eyes, and characters that I’ll remember for a long time.

Linney Van Horn, a teacher hoping for a new beginning, moves from to the East Coast to the small town of Venture, Colorado. I loved Linney from the beginning. Why? Instead of selling her horse, Prince, and leaving him back home, she takes him with her and in her new town rents a small cottage with a corral. She is determined to put the past behind her, and I admired her spunk in making the best of her situation.

Stone Wheeler and his seven-year-old son, Beau, rent the cottage next door. Stone, the local farrier, has a couple horses of his own. He also is a country boy and a John Denver fan, which added him to my best guy list. With characters like these two, I knew the story would be exciting. And it was.

Linney and Stone both have experienced sadness in their lives recently, and neither of them is interested in a serious relationship, or so they think. However, Linney falls in love with Beau, who is all boy, a sweet reminder of the innocence of children, and my favorite character of all.

In STONE’S HEART, Ms. Karchut has written a story of family, friends, and seeking God’s guidance to make the right choices. Whether she’s dealing with Guardian Angels or Celtic mythology ¾ as in some of her other novels ¾ or contemporary romance as in this latest book, what I enjoy most is her emphasis on family, especially the father and son relationship. STONE’S HEART is no exception. What Beau and Stone share is touching and beautiful. Every child should be so fortunate to have a father like Stone.

The author also shows her love and knowledge of horses, along with proof that she’s as talented writing a contemporary story as she is writing about warriors and unusual creatures.

I recommend STONE’S HEART for everyone that loves a good story about family, disappointments, children, and even a scary scene or two that makes the reader chew on her fingernails, waiting to see the outcome. Yeah, pretty tense.

Another great novel from Darby Karchut. What will she come up with next?

The author provided me with a copy of the novel for my honest review.
 
Happy Reading.
 
Today is the first Wednesday in June, where did May go?, which means it's IWSG Day.
 
The Insecure Writer’s Support Group 
Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. Be sure to link to this page and display the badge in your post.

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Our Twitter hashtag is #IWSG
 
The founder of IWSG is Ninja Alex J. Cavanaugh
His awesome co-hosts for the June 1 posting of the IWSG are Murees Dupe, Alexia Chamberlynn, Chemist Ken, and Heather Gardner! 
 
So how are you doing? Learning to overcome your insecurities, or at least to deal with them? Great! There are a lot of different kind of insecurities, besides those we have about our writing. I'm trying to be positive about writing, so today, I'd like to mention cats. Now what on earth do they have to do with being insecure? Glad you asked. I'll tell you.

Maybe cats can't think the way humans do, but they still like a nice place to live, good food to eat, and a friend or two to play with. The month of June is Adopt a Shelter Cat Month. I have two cats; neither were adopted from a shelter. Rather, they adopted me.

The first time I saw Patches, she was on the patio catching moths to eat. So, you know what I did. Yep, she's lived with us for ten years.

A couple of years later, Tiger showed up on the patio. Some other critter had worked him over good. He's been with us for eight years.

Cats and dogs aren't necessarily insecure. They just like to eat and have shelter from the rain and the cold. So, if you have room in your home, why not adopt a cat this month. How about a dog too?
 
Thank you!
 
 
 
Me too!
 
Happy Reading!




32 comments:

  1. Wonderful post Beverly and those awesome photo's of the cats .....Great. I love cats used to have a diabetic one. Thanks for a good read.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. I love my cats. Diabetis is bad, sorry about your cat.

      Delete
  2. LOL That's exactly how we ended up with Rocko and Spunky. They just showed up one day. And while Spunky is no longer with us, we've never regretted letting them into the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And when they show up, we have to take them in, Diane. Right? I don't regret mine either. They're great company.

      Delete
  3. I love animals, but I don't have the time to take care of them properly. A cat would be good, but cats have claws that tear up furniture. Some people have their cats claws removed, but I refuse to do that.

    Insecure Writer's Support Group - Trust Your Process

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do take up a person's time, Piper. I'm retired so have plenty of that. Yes, all of my furniture is covered with sheets to keep the cats from ruining them. When I have company I grab all the sheets and hide them in the closet. :)

      Delete
  4. I do love my big tom, Heisenberg. He's our third rescue cat. Right now, he sprawled next to my keyboard, pretending to be helping. He's not. Trust me.
    And thank you so much for your review of STONE'S HEART. Made my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heisenberg sounds like a sweetie, Darby. Great name too. You're welcome. I loved the story, especially Beau.

      Delete
  5. Cassie also just showed up one day while the cat I got at my bay. Had many throughout the years, sure have no insecurities in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cassie found a good home, Pat. I've had many cats too, most of them strays. Bought a cat one time. She lived for 21 years.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations to Darby. Your cats are beautiful, Beverly. I love that they adopted you. My cat has passed away this year, but now that I look back, she had adopted me too. She had shown up with her kittens one day and even though her babies had gone on to find good homes, we kept the Mommy and she had been such a good friend to me. Oh boy, did she have confidence by the bucket loads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Murees. My cats are special to me. Sorry about your cat. She knew where to bring her kittens. Cats are confident little creatures. Most are independent too. I love them.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations, Darby!
    I miss having a dog. Cats are definitely easier though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had plenty of dogs too, Alex, some little orphans that showed up for a handout. We never could turn them down. I don't have one now, but my son that lives by me does, and he hangs around here some.

      Delete
  8. Darby-- I love that idea of a Grace-filled Forever. Your book sounds wonderful.
    Beverly--I love cats too. I admire those folks who adopt animals from the shelter. Enjoy your kitties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darby's novel is a lovely story, J. Q.
      I think the people that adopt the cats, and dogs, receive as much from the pets as the pets receive from them. I do enjoy my cats. They're spoiled.

      Delete
  9. I have to read Darby's new book. I love the image on her cover. It already has my heart.

    As to those cats, I have to say they are purrfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darby's book is a lovely story, c lee.
      LOL! Yeah, purrfect cats that woke me up at 5:30 A M.

      Delete
  10. When I saw "IWSG Cats" I was smiled and wanted to see what this was about. Patches and Tiger are adorable. I have 4 cats (siblings) that I rescued and adopted. They were also strays. I've had them for...hmm...almost 4 years now. I love them so much. :) Thanks for this lighthearted post. *meow*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Chrys, cat lover too. Sometimes we take life too seriously. The cats often remind me to take a break and play with them. So I do. It's great that you kept the family together.

      Delete
  11. Smart, talented, sweet Darby. She always amazes. I've heard clean contemp western-romances do very well. Thanks for the review and good luck to Darby!

    Patches and Tiger are adorable! Most of my cats came from shelters. They're wonderful things. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darby amazes me too, Lexa. She writes in so many different genres and they're all great stories.
      Great that you have shelter cats. They are wonderful. Have a good weekend.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. She's written another great story, Kelly. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  13. Patches and Tiger are adorable. I love my kitties. :)

    I haven't read many cowboy stories. Darby's book sounds interesting! Wishing her the best of luck!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another kitty lover, Yay.
      I haven't read many either, Jess, but really enjoyed Darby's. Horses are another of my favorite animals. We used to have a few.

      Delete
  14. Congrats to Darby. Looks like an engaging read. I love adopting animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a sweet romance with a lot of problems, Medeia. Beau is my favorite. He's adorable. I like horses too. We once owned a few.

      Delete
  15. Sounds interesting and intriguing story, congrats to Darby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read all of Darby's books, Nas, and each one is great. Waiting for her next one.

      Delete
  16. I already have a dog...so no new adoptions, but my dog is a rescue, so I definitely believe in that. The book sounds great--congratulations to Darby!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Beverly and Darby! I love that amazing cover. And I love those two adorable cats :)

    ReplyDelete