Monday, June 13, 2016

PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY SANDWICHES

Quote for the week: The sky is filled with stars, invisible by day. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow 

I guess you noticed my title for today. What is that all about? Don't worry. (Like you are.) I'm going to tell you. Edits have slowed me down with everything else. I'm slow enough at reading and writing as it is, so I'm way behind in reading novels and writing reviews. I will catch up, with time. For today, let's just have some fun. Okay?

In my recent novel, UNDER A PURPLE MOON, Murphy always brings sandwiches to the Old House for the teens to snack on, while they discuss the world's happenings, their lives in particular. The sandwiches are  always peanut butter and strawberry jelly, Eden's favorite.

Excerpt from page 7:

He clicked off the flashlight, pulled a sandwich out of a sack and handed it to me: peanut butter and strawberry jelly. He always brought me the same, along with a can of soda. He cared whether I was hungry or not, which was more than I could say for my parents.

He didn't talk.

I didn't talk.

His shoulders relaxed.  The tension in my middle eased. We were comfortable together. We met at school last year. He was a freshman, I a sophomore. A couple of boys had cornered Murphy by the lockers and were calling him nasty names. I remember how he ducked between the boys in an attempt to get past them. The bigger guy towered over Murphy by at least a foot. He grabbed Murphy's arm and slung him against the wall.

###

What happened next in Eden's memories?

So, what's your favorite snack? Is it a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? Or other?

And is there such a thing as a purple moon? Have you ever seen one?


 
Amazon      Kobo      Barnes and Noble     Freedom Fox Press

Happy Reading!

20 comments:

  1. Wonderful qoute and a great post to read and digest.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quote, Beverly. I was very big on PB & J as a kid. Now, my go-to snack seems to be cheese...or chocolate:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin. It's funny but when I was a kid I don't recall eating pb & j. Now, it's my favorite snack.

      Delete
  3. A snack can sure go a long way with helping any discussion. Never seen a purple moon indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snacks are good, Pat. I haven't seen one either.

      Delete
  4. I've seen a red moon.
    I usually eat mine with just the peanut butter, stickiness and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red would be pretty, Alex. Yeah, I just eat peanut butter, no jelly.

      Delete
  5. I wonder if Eden stepped in somehow.

    I love peanut butter and banana sandwiches. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Chrys, she did, and they've been friends ever since.
      I've never tried bananas with peanut butter. Interesting.

      Delete
  6. Gosh, that quote really makes me think. It encourages me that blessings and inspiration are available to us even if we don't physically see them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful interpretation. I hadn't thought of it that way, but it's true. You are so alert. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. Great excerpt! I'd love to see a purple moon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome quote and a great post, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My pleasure to share. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  9. Yes, yes, I do love a peanut butter (crunchy) and strawberry jam sandwich. That excerpt you shared, Beverly, made me smile - it's sweet and sad how Murphy cared if Eden was hungry or not, more than her parents ever did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claudine. Kids sometimes are more sensitive to others' feelings than adults are. Yes, I prefer crunchy too. :)

      Delete
  10. I love peanut butter now- but I didn't love it as a child. I did eat a lot of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches though- so they remind me of childhood. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember eating peanut butter as a child, Jess, but it makes a great snack these days.

      Delete