Wednesday, May 4, 2016

THE INSECURE WRITER'S SUPPORT GROUP and SIGN OF THE GREEN DRAGON COVER REVEAL

May has started off to be a busy month. New covers, new books, and of course THE INSECURE WRITER'S SUPPORT GROUP for today. Before we talk about our insecurities, or our positives, I have a fabulous cover to share with you.


Doesn't this lovely cover make you curious about the boy and what this has to do with a dragon? I've read the book, so I know.
 
Summary: When a wall of their cave hideout crumbles, three boys discover a skeleton, clutching a treasure map. They set off to trace the story of an old murder, but stumble into a modern crime, and confront ancient Chinese dragons.
 
This story is by our very own, favorite author, C. Lee McKenzie.
 
Bio: C. Lee McKenzie is a 4 & 5 star reviewed author. Her greatest passion is writing for young readers. Sign of the Green Dragon is her third Middle Grade novel. Alligators Overhead and the sequel, The Great Time Lock Disaster were her first two. She has traditionally published four young adult novels: Sliding on the Edge, The Princess of Las Pulgas, Double Negative and Sudden Secrets.
 
I've read all of C. Lee's books and highly recommend them. My Review:
 
SIGN OF THE GREEN DRAGON
by C. Lee McKenzie
 
Most children simply want a home, a mother and father, someone to love them. They like to hang out with their friends, play sports, or other activities they enjoy. Life doesn’t always turn out the way a child, or an adult for that matter, wants it to.

In SIGN OF THE GREEN DRAGON, by Author C. Lee McKenzie, Sam is one of the children whose life is out of control. For six months Sam has been an orphan and lived with his Uncle Jasper. According to Uncle Jasper, the arrangement hasn’t worked out, and he’s sending Sam to a private boarding school. Not only will Sam lose his home, such as it is, he’ll also miss out on playing in the district championship baseball game. Their coach says they have a very good chance to win.

With his world falling apart, Sam runs away to the mountains, where he can sleep in a cave, and his friends, Roger and Joey, will bring him what he needs. Then he’ll still be there for the game. Sam and his friends don’t count on weird things happening , however: a secret room, a chest with a carving of a dragon, and inside the chest a … I don’t want to give anything away, but the boys are in for an adventure they could never have imagined.

Author C. Lee McKenzie is a master at creating characters that seem so real the reader finds her/himself hoping they’ll succeed in achieving their goals. She even adds a bit of interesting history to the story. The plot keeps the boys, as well as the reader, guessing what will happen next. Just when you think you know all the answers, the author throws in a twist or a surprise, and you think OOPS, I didn’t see that coming. Middle grade and tween readers, boys especially, should enjoy following Sam and his friends on their quest to solve an age old mystery.

This book is perfect for middle school libraries and classrooms, public libraries, and your own library of course, so you can read the story again. Highly recommended.

The author provided me with a copy of this book for my honest review.

##

Want to Read Link: Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29415474-sign-of-the-green-dragon




Congratulations to C. Lee on a story that's sure to catch young reader's (and old) attention.
###


 
Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time.
Be sure to link to this page and display the badge in your post.

 Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Our Twitter hashtag is #IWSG
 
Awesome Ninja Alex J. Cavanaugh is the founder of ISWG
His awesome co-hosts for the May 4 posting of the IWSG will be Stephen Tremp, Fundy Blue, MJ Fifield, Loni Townsend, Bish Denham, Susan Gourley, and Stephanie Faris!
 
NEVER GIVE UP
 
 I know, I know. People are always telling you "Never Give Up." Easy to say, but not so easy to do.
It's also true. You never know. Yes, you write or whatever it is you enjoy doing. And then you wait, for a publisher to say "I love your book. Here's the contract. Or "Yes, your illustrations are just what we're looking for."
 
It's been my experience that there's no point getting in a hurry for answers right away. You may get them; you may not. So stay busy while you wait. Work on other things. Write, paint the house, clean closets (that's on my agenda). Don't worry about what the answer will be. Live for the day. Tomorrow will arrive.
 
Why am I writing this? Glad you asked. Like you, I spend a lot of time waiting. It used to bother me. Not so much anymore. When it happens, it happens. Last week was a fabulous week. I've been editing a story that wasn't quite right. Then, out of the blue, on Saturday I received word that another book was going to print next week and I needed to check for minor changes, like quick.
 
Wow! See. You never know. And now, I just have to show you the gorgeous cover.
 
 
Aidana WillowRaven is the talented illustrator.
 

More to come. This was such a nice surprise I haven't planned anything.
 
Remember! Never give up! (I may have said this a few times before.)
 
Happy Reading and Writing!

36 comments:

  1. Love C.Lee's new cover! It's gorgeous. Good for you with being persistent and knowing how to patiently wait. Congrats on another upcoming release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a gorgeous cover, Sheri, and the book is great. Thanks. The waiting isn't easy, as you well know. :)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the next book. Aidana always does beautiful covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. She does. I hope to send Purple Moon to Midwest Book Reviews this week. I also have a couple of interviews coming up. I'll send links.

      Delete
  3. Great advice, Beverly! Thank you. And I love both covers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin. I appreciate your kind words and your stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your next book! And Lee's awesome book.
    I will pass on painting the house though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, painting house is tough. Lee's book is another great one.

      Delete
  5. C. Lee's cover is great indeed. Patiently waiting was never the cat's strong suit, but we learned to deal with it. Congrats indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patches is very patient. She'll lie in one spot for hours, until that rat moves. Then she's on it. She's quite a hunter. Tiger, naw, he just looks.

      Delete
  6. Two great covers! And, yeah, the waiting is the worst, but getting a good response after waiting is the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right, Katie. The waiting is often worth it.

      Delete
  7. Yay! Oh Beverly, what a happy day. I'm so excited for you. Cheese and crackers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Crystal. Cheese and crackers, yummy.

      Delete
  8. Never give up is some of my favorite writing advice. Love Lee's new cover, and yours as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine, too, M. J. Lee's book is a great story. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. What a great bit of news! Another of your books coming out. Congrats, Beverly and thanks for helping me with the cover reveal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited, Lee. Thanks. My pleasure. Great cover. Just right for the story.

      Delete
  10. Great news and wonderful cover.
    Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victoria. I appreciate your kind words. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. I thought both covers wonderful, a great post Beverly.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. So happy you think they're wonderful. So do I.

      Delete
  12. I had to skip right over your review because Lee's book is on my Kindle awaiting my attention. I prefer to go into a book blind when possible. Can't wait for your new book either. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, Kai. Me, too. Lee's book is a great story. Enjoy. Thanks, I'm excited too. And surprised.

      Delete
  13. I love Lee's cover and I so enjoyed the book. So glad to hear you did too!

    Congrats on your cover and your book going to print. Fabulous cover! Glad you have so many great things going on right now. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee has a knack for writing stories for that age of readers, Jess.
      Thank you. I was pleasantly surprised since I hadn't heard anything in quite a while. Yes, looking pretty good now.

      Delete
  14. I love Lee's cover!

    Congrats to as well, Beverly! Great news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just perfect for the story, Kelly.
      Thanks. I'm excited. Wasn't expecting it. Nice surprise.

      Delete
  15. YAY!!! Congratulations! And your post hit me especially today because it's been one of those weeks where it seems like there's nothing but bad news. Your post is a reminder that good news can be just an email away. How many other people can say that? Many people are just trying to get to the weekend so they don't have to work at jobs they hate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie. I'm sorry it's been a bad week for you. It can only get better, right? Like you say, just an email away. Thinking of you that the sun will shine brightly for you this week, with all good things.

      Delete
  16. I love the cover for C. Lee's book.

    A book going to print in a week? I would've panicked. Glad you didn't. And congratulations!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Chrys. It is a great cover.

      I panicked for a minute then decided I'd better get to work. I'm moving at about the speed of a three-toed sloth.

      Delete
  17. I love your book cover, Beverly! Having a book go to print this week is definitely great news. Congratulations and enjoy this!

    Congratulations to C. Lee as well. The title and storyline tell of a very exciting adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Claudine. The cover is just right for the story.
      C. Lee writes great stories for teen readers. I've enjoyed every one.

      Delete
  18. That's a great cover! She's very talented.
    Congratulations on your own news. Happy revising and publishing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C. Lee's books are great, J Lenni. I've read them all.
      Thank you. Writing and revising are fun and a challenge sometimes. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete