Monday, April 4, 2016

ATOZ CHALLENGE "C" CARS

Moving right along to day three.

C Stands for Cars of the 1950s
 
Cars have been around for a long time, but we're looking at the boom in cars in the 1950s. During World War II, the American manufacturing economy produced war-related items. At the end of the war, production switched to consumer goods. By the end of the 1950s, one in six working Americans were employed either directly or indirectly in the automotive industry. The U. S. was the largest automobile manufacturer  in the world.
 
For graduation, one of my friends parents gave her a white and pink car. It looked something like this, except the top was pink and the bottom white. A bunch of us drove all over town as she showed off her new car.
 
I think hers was a Ford Victoria, but I wanted you to see a pink car.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Tailfins, reminiscent of rockets from the Space Age and Space Race, and radio antennas imitating Sputnik 1 became popular by the end of the decade.
 
 
 
 
 
My dream was to buy a sky blue Cadillac convertible when I graduated.
Well, I bought a green Ford convertible. The price fit my pocket book better.
I couldn't find a picture just like it.
 
 
 
 
 
Hot Rodding Cars were popular. The origin of the term "hot rod" is unclear, but the culture was popular in the post-war culture of the 1950s. The November 1950 cover of Hot Rod magazine announced the first hot rod to exceed 200 mph. It set the record at the Bonneville Salt Flats.
 
Drag racing, though it wasn't anything new, became popular. C. J. "Pappy" Hart founded Santa Anna Drags, the first drag strip in the U. S., in Southern California. 
 
NASCAR winner "The Fabulous Hudson Hornet"
 
And there's also NASCAR, the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, the second most popular spectator sport in the U. S. behind the National Football League.
 
There's a lot more we could say about cars, but I imagine you've read enough.
 
Signing off for tonight. The cat wants some attention.



24 comments:

  1. Oh yes, cars! I'm a pretty big car buff, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheri. I could have gone on and on about cars. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Karin. There are a lot of neat pictures of cars on the Internet, some I've never heard of. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Nascar is really popular around here.
    I never had a real appreciation for older cars until I started watching the series Counting Cars. It's fun to watch them restore them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's neat, Alex. I haven't seen that series but sometimes wish I still had a couple of the "older" cars.

      Delete
  4. Cars back then actually looked different and such, now they are all just carbon copies of the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Pat. Have you ever noticed how many vans all look alike? They told me the color was new. Maybe so, but every other car has the "new" color. :)

      Delete
  5. They had style, they had grace . . .

    The cars today seem kind of dull in comparison, don't they?

    Give you cat a hug for me. Mine won't leave my side, but it is snowing right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that, Tamara. (They had style, they had grace.) Beautiful. Yeah, the colors are drab.
      I'll do that. Tiger will love your hug.

      Delete
  6. Those fins still impress me! I saw a lot of the 50s cars in Cuba last year. That was a real blast from the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet seeing those cars was interesting, Lee. Took you back a few years before you were born.

      Delete
  7. Great post Beverly and some great cars also.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. The cars will never be the way they once were. But that's okay. Little else is either.

      Delete
  8. I like the pink car. It reminds me of a strawberry smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, yummy. I like the pink too. Perfect for girls. Right, sometimes we lose the beauty for the convenience.

      Delete
  9. Love the American cars of the fifties - certainly those space age tail-fins - British cars were just so boring in comparison!!
    Pempi
    A Stormy’s Sidekick
    Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were, huh? I must look the British cars up. Thanks for stopping by, SENCO.

      Delete
  10. I love the hot rod. It would be fun to come up with paint designs for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it would, Diane. An artist could do beautiful work.

      Delete
  11. That sky blue convertible looks beautiful to me. I loved those pastel-colored cars. SO pretty! My brother-in-law pointed out that cars back then had no headrests, though, so you could break your neck in an accident? I had never even thought about that before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sky blue convertible was my dream. Then I faced reality. :) I was happy with my green Ford.
      You know, I hadn't thought about the headrests. I wonder what statistics were on accidents then. Interesting. No seat belts either or seats for children. I remember throwing my arm across my boys who usually were standing up in the front seat. It's a miracle they survived.

      Delete
  12. I so badly want to drive in a Pink car now! Such a cool post :)

    Pooja from The Side I Hide

    ReplyDelete