Thursday, April 7, 2016

A TO Z, THE LETTER "F" FOR BOOK TITLES

 
Many great novels were published during the 1950s. For this post I chose some with the letter "F" in their titles. How many of them have you read? Me? Not a one. In my defense, however, I was not a reader in my childhood or teens. I read what was necessary for school, and that was it. I'm so thankful that I learned what I was missing, even though it took me many years to enjoy reading. Let's take a look at a few good reads.
 
 
FIFTEEN (First Love # 1) by Beverly Cleary
Blurb from Good Reads:
 
It seems too good to be true. The most popular boy in school has asked Jane out, and she's never even dated before. Stan is tall and good-looking, friendly and hard-working, everything Jane ever dreamed of. But is she ready for this?

Suppose her parents won't let her go? What if she's nervous and makes a fool of herself? Maybe he'll think she's too young. If only she knew all the clever things to say. If only she were prettier. If only she were ready for this...

With her usual warmth, perceptiveness, and humor, Beverly Cleary creates the joys and worries of a young girl's first crush.

 
First published: 1956
Second publishing: 2007
 
###
 
FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON by Daniel Keyes
Blurb from Good Reads:
 


With more than five million copies sold, Flowers for Algernon is the beloved, classic story of a
mentally disabled man whose experimental quest for intelligence mirrors that of Algernon, an extraordinary lab mouse. In poignant diary entries, Charlie tells how a brain operation increases his IQ and changes his life. As the experimental procedure takes effect, Charlie's intelligence expands until it surpasses that of the doctors who engineered his metamorphosis. The experiment seems to be a scientific breakthrough of paramount importance--until Algernon begins his sudden, unexpected deterioration. Will the same happen to Charlie?
 
First published: 1958
Published: 2005

###

THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING (The Lord of the Rings # 1) by J. R. R. Tolkien

Blurb from Good Reads:


Frodo Baggins knew the Ringwraiths were searching for him—and the Ring of Power he bore that would enable Sauron to destroy all that was good in Middle-earth. Now it was up to Frodo and his faithful servant Sam to carry the Ring to where it could be destroyed—in the very center of Sauron's dark kingdom.


First published 1954
Published 2003
 


Happy Reading.

 

 


26 comments:

  1. Excellent "F" book titles reviews.Well done Beverly.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvonne. Of course, I added three new books to my TBR stack. It will never get smaller. :)

      Delete
  2. I remember Fifteen fondly from my childhood. Great profiles! Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Here from the A-Z and all great title choices for the F-day. Well done.

    Best wishes for the rest of the challenge,
    Nilanjana
    Ninja Minion, A-Z 2016
    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Nilanjana. Nice to "meet" you. Hope you have a good challenge too. Will visit as soon as I catch up here.

      Delete
  4. These all sound great (especially Flowers for Algernon), and I've heard of the last two, but I haven't read any of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of them, too, Tamara, so added them to my TBR list, that keeps growing and growing. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Wow...that Fifteen book was published in 1956! I was thinking I must have read it if it were the 80s, but nope. It didn't sound familiar...although I did read a lot of series books in the 80s like First Love from Silhouette and Sweet Dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had read some of these in the 50s, but I didn't. Now, I've added them to my TBR list. Some day.

      Delete
  6. The last one is the only one I heard of, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great choices to remember. Beverly Cleary lives near me and I heard she's about 100? What a life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lee. What a wonderful neighbor. It's hard to imagine she's that old. Where do the years go?

      Delete
  8. I haven't read any of them, either. But don't feel bad. There are millions of books out there. As long as your reading, that's what's important.

    Piper Presley
    Fiction: Blogging From A to Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Piper. No way we can read every book that's published. It is nice to be able to choose from so many. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. You're welcome, Helen. Nice of you to stop by. Will visit as soon as I catch up here.

      Delete
  10. could never go wrong with a Beverly Cleary book. Flowers for Algernon is taught in the schools now. Never read Tolkien, but saw the movies - does that count? Good theme for A to Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know they taught Flowers... in schools now. That's wonderful. I really hope to read it soon. Of course seeing the movies count. :) Thanks.

      Delete
  11. I used to teach Flowers For Algernon and I referenced it in Touch of Death. Great story, though sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ashamed to admit I never heard of it, Kelly. Where have I been? I do hope to read it soon.

      Delete
  12. Wow, you're moving on, Beverly. WTG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to keep up, Janet. What was I thinking? :)

      Delete
  13. I love Beverly Cleary, but I've primarily read her books for younger children, like Henry & Ribsy, Ramona, The Mouse and the Motorcycle, etc. I hadn't heard of Fifteen! I will have to check that one out.

    Flowers for Algernon is a familiar title, but I haven't read that either. The story sounds sad. Hm. I will have to think about it.

    I have read The Fellowship of the Ring. It's the only one of the trilogy I finished. SO MANY WORDS. LOL!

    Happy a-to-z-ing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great picks here. I've heard of Flowers for Algernon but haven't really found out what it's about. Sounds like a story I'd love to pick up.

    ReplyDelete