Monday, April 18, 2016

A TO Z CHALLENGE:"O" OSCAR AWARDS

Please don't kick me out of the A to Z Challenge. I'm late today because my Internet has been down since Saturday. It's back for now. Hope for a while. Today we're looking at Oscar Winning Movies of the 1950s. Enjoy.






ALL ABOUT EVE: 1950

Bette Davis and the greatest cat fight ever committed to film.

 

 




AN AMERIAN IN PARIS: 1951

Gene Kelly dances and sings his way through this winning story of an American GI in post-war Paris.

 

 



THE GREATES SHOW ON EARTH: 1952

A fantastic cast of stars: Charlton Heston, Gloria Grahame, Betty Hutton, Jimmy Stewart, along with a host of then-famous circus performers playing themselves, including Emmet Kelly.

 

 



FROM HERE TO ETERNITY: 1953

The story of bored military men fighting corruption among the brass in the days before the Pearl Harbor attack.

 

 



ON THE WATERFRONT: 1954

Marlon Brando won the Best Actor Award for his role in the gritty, realistic drama about mobs and union racketeering on the New York docks.

 

 



MARTY: 1955

A simple touching story starring Earnest Borgnine about the liberation of the human heart and love favoring the plain and simple just as much as the beautiful and bold.

 

 



AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS: 1956

A charming adventure film that feels like a wide-screen travelogue at times.

 

 



THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI: 1957

A thrilling, heartbreaking wartime adventure about British POWs forced to build a rail bridge for their Japanese captors in Burma. Based on a true story.

 

 



GIGI: 1958

A story about training a young woman as a courtesan, the Lerner and Lowe musical features great tunes.

 

 



BEN-HUR: 1959

A terrific adventure that links Ben-Hur’s life to that of Christ and climaxes with a chariot race that has never been equaled.



I hope this posts. It keeps going out on me. Anyone recommend a good Internet Provider.

Enjoy

17 comments:

  1. I'll forgive you for being late, since I didn't notice :)
    I love it when someone talks about films I've actually seen. It may just be the effect of terminal reruns, but some of these stand up to the most rigorous inspection, even now.
    Thanks!
    Jemima Pett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, thanks for forgiving me, Jemima. Like good books, some films will always be remembered. Appreciate you stopping by. I'm trying to catch up.

      Delete
  2. No worries!
    I've seen more than half of those films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex. There are some great films here. Makes me want to watch them again.

      Delete
  3. No one gets kicked out for being late! Especially with such great posts.

    --
    Tim Brannan, The Other Side Blog
    2015 A to Z of Adventure!
    http://theotherside.timsbrannan.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Timothy. I get paranoid sometimes. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Hope your internet stays put Beverly, I xan remember all those wonderful films, My mother and I as a child used to frequent the cinema very often. Thanks for the memories.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. So far the Internet is working. Fingers crossed. We went to the movies a lot when I was a kid. Our big entertainment of the week. We didn't have TV and all the other things kids have today. Glad you enjoyed the memories.

      Delete
  5. I've seen quite a few of those ones. Ugg to crappy internet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading about them, Pat, makes me want to watch them again. May have to do that. Yeah, so far, the Internet's being nice to me. Hope it continues to do so.

      Delete
  6. I've only seen All About Eve and really enjoyed it. I'd like to see the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many good movies to see, Medeia, old ones and new ones. It's hard to find time for all of them.

      Delete
  7. Great post! I have heard of many of these movies (almost all of them), but I haven't seen any of them! I have a growing list of movies I should see though! :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the old movies are quite different from today's films, Jess. I haven't seen all of these, but want to after reading about them.

      Delete
  8. Wow, I saw all of those pictures except Marty. Enjoyed every one of them, too, all for different reasons. Nice selection, Beverly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth. I haven't seen all of them, but they're out in DVD so might take a look at them.

      Delete
  9. Better late than never:) You always have great posts!

    ReplyDelete