Thursday, April 28, 2016

A TO Z CHALLENGE "X" FOR XMAS

 
This was a really tough letter for me. I've racked my brain (not a pretty sight) and finally came up with only one possibility. The word Xmas and where it came from.
 
 
It goes back a lot farther than I realized, for at least 1,000 years, long before our modern Xmas was used. X is a symbol for "Christ" which was often written "Xp" or Xt", referenced in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as far back as 1021.  The X and P were the uppercase forms of the Greek letters x (Ch) and p (R) used in ancient abbreviations for the Greek word Christ. Many Eastern Orthodox Icons still use them in showing Jesus Christ. The labarum is a symbol often used to represent Christ in Catholic, Protestant, and Orthodox Christian Churches. (I can't write those letters so here's a picture.)
 
The labarum, often called the Chi-Rho, is a
Christian symbol representing Christ.
 
The Oxford English Dictionary shows "X-" or "Xp-" for Christ as early as1485. There are other uses of "(Xt)" for Chris(t)-" too.
 
I learned something here. Perhaps you already knew. Anything you'd like to add.
 
Happy Reading.
 


 

14 comments:

  1. I didn't know that. So yes, I learned something. Good going on the letter X.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Lynda. Thanks. Glad you enjoyed the post. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I had no idea! I just thought people got lazy and started abbreviating but now that you mention it, they could have just said "Cmas."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, Stephanie, how we can hear something like all our lives and not know where it came from. That's why I decided to find out.

      Delete
  3. Here I thought it came about because people were lazy or didn't want to use His name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably what most people think, Alex. Now we know the truth.

      Delete
  4. Very interesting! I had no idea. I thought it was just laziness, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learned a lot from the different bloggers posts, Sarah. This A to Z has been fun.

      Delete
  5. I knew it was an old way to write Christmas, but I had no idea what the earliest occurrence was. 1400s? Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing to me that there are so many things I've seen for years, but really know little about them. This was interesting research, Lee.

      Delete
  6. Very cleverly thought out Beverly. Well done.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. I've sure learned a lot on these A to Z challenges.

      Delete
  7. Nice! I think I had a Pastor explain this to me, once, but I had forgotten until now.
    Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we get so used to a think, we (at least I) don't pay a lot of attention to what it really means. Thanks for stopping by, Tyrean.

      Delete