Friday, April 22, 2016

A TO Z CHALLENGE "S" is for Sports of the 50's

We have a special treat today for the letter "S".


 
 

Bonus S: SEISMIC CRIMES
Today is the release of Chrys Fey's first novel!
 
 
 
 
 
 

BLURB:



An Internal Affairs Investigator was murdered and his brother, Donovan Goldwyn, was framed. Now Donovan is desperate to prove his innocence. And the one person who can do that is the woman who saved him from a deadly hurricane—Beth Kennedy. From the moment their fates intertwined, passion consumed him. He wants her in his arms. More, he wants her by his side in his darkest moments.
Beth Kennedy may not know everything about Donovan, but she can’t deny what she feels for him. It’s her love for him that pushes her to do whatever she has to do to help him get justice, including putting herself in a criminal’s crosshairs.
When a tip reveals the killer's location, they travel to California, but then an earthquake of catastrophic proportions separates them. As aftershocks roll the land, Beth and Donovan have to endure dangerous conditions while trying to find their way back to one another. Will they reunite and find the killer, or will they lose everything?
 
DIGITAL LINKS:
 
 
ALSO AVAILABLE IN PRINT!
 
 
 

 
 

 
Here we are to the letter "S" and the subject of sports. First, I'm not a real big sports fans. Especially in the 50s, when more important things were on my mind. I was a band kid and did enjoy the football games, but only to march on the field. I do like baseball. Go Rangers! but don't follow the other sports. Let's take a look now at some of the best from the 50s.
 
 
Is baseball your sport?
 

 
Edward Charles "Whitey" Ford was born October 21, 1928. He spent his entire 16-year Major League Baseball career with the New York Yankees and was voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1974.

He is a  ten-time MLB All-Star and six-time World Series champion. He won the Cy Young Award and World Series Most Valuable Player Award in 1961. He led the American League in wins three times. The Yankees retired Ford's number in his honor.

 
Anyone a golfer? I played a couple of times. Scored like 30, um, 30 strokes to get to the first hole.
 
 
I guess top golfers get to ride in parades.
 
William Ben Hogan was born August 13, 1912, died July 25, 1997. He is generally considered one of the greatest players in the history of golf. Born within six months of two other golf greats of the 20th century, Sam Snead and Byron Nelson, Hogan is noted for his profound influence on golf swing theory and his legendary ball-striking ability.
 
His nine career professional major championships tie him with Gary Player for fourth all-time, trailing only Jack Nicklaus (18), Tiger Woods (14) and Walter Hagen (11). He is one of only five golfers to have won all four major championships currently open to professionals. 
 
 
Is tennis your game?
 
 
Louise Brough was born in Oklahoma City in 1923. Her family moved to Beverly Hills, California, when she was four. She learned to play tennis on the public courts at Roxbury Park. In 1940 and 1941 she won the US Girls' Championship. She went on to play doubles with her friend Margaret Osborne DuPont and they won many more tournaments, as well as singles at Wimbledon.
 
She was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 1967. She died on February 3, 2014, at the age of 90.
 
What if you were great at golf, basketball, and track and field?
 
 
Mildred Ella "Babe" Didrikson Zaharias was born June 26, 1911, died September 27, 1956.  She achieved success in golf, basketball, track and field. She won two gold medals and one silver medal for track and field in the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics. She dominated the Women's Professional Golf Association until serious illness ended her career in the mid 1950s.
 
 
And the final sport, yes I know there are others, but time has run out. My cats are demanding dinner.
Football.
 
 
Otto Everett Graham, Jr. was born December 6, 1921, died December 17, 2003. He played quarterback for the Cleveland Browns and is regarded by critics as one of the most dominant players of his era. He took the Browns to league championship games every year between 1946 and 1955. They won seven of them. He still holds the NFL record for career average yards gained per pass attempt, with 8.98. He also holds the record for the highest career winning percentage for an NFL starting quarterback.
 
And now you know. Thanks for reading.
 
Information from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Photos from Wikipedia and various places.
 
Enjoy the Weekend.
 


 





14 comments:

  1. I'd heard of Whitey Ford, but not the other athletes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not all familiar to me either, Diane.

      Delete
  2. I'd never heard of any of them. I know absolutely zero about sports, even in modern times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much into sports either, Stephanie. A few baseball players are familiar, but that's about it.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for including my promo! :D

    I wish I knew how to play tennis well. My mom was a very good tennis player...for fun, but her athleticism didn't pass on to me. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Chrys. I hope to read your story soon.
      We each have our own talents, and that's the way it should be. Tennis is a great sport, but I have not one athletic bone in my body, either.

      Delete
  4. Congrats to Chrys.

    I didn't know a one. Sports I'd rather play than watch any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Pat, sports are highly overrated, I think. Some people get too carried away with win or lose. Kind of boring to just sit there and watch. Action is more fun.

      Delete
  5. I love tennis. My daughter and I play every summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Kelly. Tennis looks like so much fun. But I have two left feet and they just don't work together. It's great you and your daughter play together.

      Delete
  6. I wish Chrys all the best with her book.
    I loved your "S" post, though I'm not much into sport,It was most enjoyable to read.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. Yeah, I know. I'm a better watcher than participator, where sports are concerned.

      Delete
  7. Comprehensive round up! Wish Chrys the very best for her new book.

    Nilanjana.
    Ninja Minion, A-Z 2016
    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Nilanjana. Yep, this post was about a subject I know little about. Guess it turned out okay.

      Delete