Thursday, April 21, 2016

A TO Z CHALLENGE "R" ROXY THEATRE

 
 
I'm having so much fun traveling back to the past, revisiting people and places of my childhood. I hope you are enjoying your visits, too. Today, I'm remembering the Roxy Theatre, located at 1523 Monroe Street, Wichita Falls, TX. The Roxy opened on February 13, 1938, and closed a few years later. I could not find a date. It reopened as the Linda Theatre on February 14, 1949, closed again and next opened as the Coronet Theatre then closed in 1955. I don't recall ever going to the theatre when it was the Linda or the Coronet. It was always the Roxy to me.
 
What I do recall: my friends and I spending the afternoon at the Roxy, eating popcorn and watching Rory Rogers, Gene Autry, Tarzan, and other characters that today you'd consider "old actors." Then they were young. Lots of westerns, a few scary movies, though I wasn't crazy about them. For 10 cents, I think it was, we could stay all day if we wanted to. They didn't run us out after the movie ended.
 
It was a small theatre. One screen, 295 seats. I lived just a few blocks away, so my friends and I walked to the movie. Sometimes we let my little sister tag along. I couldn't find a picture of the original building. I'm still looking. Here's a later photo.
I don't have a date on this, but it isn't the one I remember. It's likely the remodeled theatre, or my memory is gone.
 
 
This is the whole east side of the shopping center, dated 1940. The Roxy is the building in the middle. Wish it were clearer. My dad's barber shop was three or four doors down. It doesn't show up either. Need to find a better picture of this. Looking.
 
Enjoy the good old days.
 

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for the wonderful insight of this theatre, I have never been to it though I have been to the US quite a few times. It's good to recall happy memories.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably didn't visit our area, Yvonne. There's really no tourist attractions nearby. Yes, it's fun going back. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  2. Now a days they sure chase you out pretty fast. Wow, it sure opened and closed a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed that, Pat. When the movie ends, the lights go on, and the usher makes sure everyone leaves. Small theatres like that probably don't make enough money to stay in business.

      Delete
  3. What a cool theater. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca. I thought so when I was a kid.

      Delete
  4. Those old theaters were so wonderful. You went inside and the world stopped for a few hours while you went someplace for an adventure. Glad you have some old photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were great, Lee. Since we didn't have a TV, we spent most Saturday afternoons at the "picture show" we called it back then.

      Delete
  5. Wow, that's a lot of changing hands and opening and closings! I never go to cinemas now, but I sure remember when I did. Great times! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, Lexa. I guess they didn't make enough money to stay open. I seldom go to the movies these days. Rather stay home and watch DVDs.

      Delete
  6. It's so interesting how buildings and neighborhoods change over the years. When I visit the neighborhood where I grew up as a pre-teen and teen, so much has changed in 20-30 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure do change, Medeia. I miss the old neighborhoods where everyone was friendly.

      Delete
  7. This sounds like the setting of a story, Beverly. Going to the movies after helping out at your dad's barber shop. And wow, was it only 10 cents?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mm, a story, Claudine. You might be right. Yep, 10 cents. Of course, I think my dad got about 50 cents a haircut, too.

      Delete
  8. We have a Roxy Cinema Theatre as well, Beverly! I love to see old pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's neat, Karin. I love old pictures too. In fact, I have albums of them. Need to organize them.

      Delete