Friday, April 8, 2016

A TO Z CHALLENGE - LETTER "G" GAMES



Kids of the fifties had games and toys quite different from those of today. Some of the old ones may still be played today, but so many new things come out every year it's hard to keep up with them all. Here are a few that I recall.

Checkers



 Now I'm not going to say how to play the games. You probably know how to better than I.





Card Games like Old Maid and others.






One of the most popular shows on TV was "Howdy Doody."



Outside, we rode our bicycles, played baseball in the neighbor's backyard, and wandered up and down the street, visiting with all our friends.

Then there were the trips we took when every five miles we said, "Are we there yet?' Our parents would say, "Read the road signs or play I Spy." So we did. Did you ever read a Burma Shave Sign?

Burma-shave signs first appeared on U. S. Highwasy 65 near Lakesville, Minnesota in 1926 and remained a major road advertisement for the Burma-Shave brand of brushless shaving until 1963.
 
I remember one that my sister and I always read on the way to visit our grandparents in Bowie.
"A man who passes on hills and curves is not a man of iron nerves, he's crazy."
 
I don't know why I remember that one. Weird, huh?
 
Anyhow, flashback to the games of the 1950s.
 
Happy Reading



20 comments:

  1. Those road signs would've been a fun way to pass the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The signs sure helped, Diane. Even a few miles is a long journey for kids.

      Delete
  2. We did road signs too...and Sorry, Clue, Checkers...the list goes on:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now kids have their electronics to entertain them on a journey, Karin. They miss the beauty of the world, in my opinion.

      Delete
  3. Most enjoyable Beverly. great "G" post.
    Just off to the dreaded hairdressers.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. Speaking of hair, if I don't get mine cut soon I'll look like a shaggy dog. On my to-do list.

      Delete
  4. Those are some old games haha checkers is one that stands the test of time though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are old, Pat. It's funny how some games stay popular through the years and others fade away.

      Delete
  5. Out of that bunch, only played checkers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, some were before your time, Alex. :)Checkers is a good game though.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I had a lot of fun playing games when I was a child!

    Piper Presley
    Goals: Blogging From A to Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Games kept us entertained, Piper, since we didn't have a TV until I was in high school.

      Delete
  7. I love games. They challenge my brain in different ways than what do during the day. I used to play checkers with my grandfather, and I think he let me win once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, c lee. They do make us think. Grandfathers are nice that way. :)

      Delete
  8. I come from a games-playing family too. Enjoyed looking through your A to G! If you have time mine are @suesconsideredt from Sue’s Trifles
    and Sue’s words and pictures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, suesconsideredtrifles. Happy you stopped by. Visiting you in a few minutes.

      Delete
  9. I have played Old Maid and checkers. And recently, I bought a set of various card games at the dollar store, and Old Maid was one of the games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always liked Old Maid, Cynthia. Sounds like you'll get to learn some new games. Have fun.

      Delete
  10. The Burma shave signs, yes. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really were fun, Sharon. Kept the journey from being so boring.

      Delete