Wednesday, April 13, 2016

A TO Z CHALLENGE: "K" KENTUCKY DERBY WINNERS OF THE 50s

Horses are beautiful animals. We used to own a few. One of them even ran in a couple of races. I miss them. Here's in memory of Heavenly Sunrise and her foal. They're now in horse heaven, grazing on fresh grass, not a care in the world.
 
I thought it would be fun today to look at the Kentucky Derby Winners from the 1950s. So here you are. Enjoy.
 
 
1959 – Tomy Lee (trained by Frank E. Childs and owned by Mr. and Mrs. Fred Turner, Jr.) won the Kentucky Derby under jockey Willie Shoemaker.
 
 

1958 – Tim Tam (trained by Horace A. Jones and owned by Calumet Farm) won the Kentucky Derby under jockey Ismael Valenzuela.



 1957 – Iron Liege (trained by Horace A. Jones and owned by Calumet Farm) won the Kentucky Derby under jockey Bill Hartack.


(This is my favorite picture because of the cat and horse. Friends. So adorable.)

 1956 – Needles (trained by Hugh L. Fontaine and owned by D & H Stable) won the Kentucky Derby under jockey Dave Erb.



 1955 – Swaps (trained by Mex Tenney and owned by Rex C. Ellsworth) won the Kentucky Derby under jockey Willie Shoemaker.


1954 – Determine (trained by William Molter and owned by Andrew J. Crevolin) won the Kentucky Derby under jockey Ray York.



 1953 – Dark Star (trained by Eddie Hayward and owned by Cain Hoy Stable) won the Kentucky Derby under jockey Henry Moreno.



1952 – Hill Gail (trained by Ben A. Jones and owned by Calumet Farm) won the Kentucky Derby under jockey Eddie Arcaro.



 1951 – Count Turf (trained by Sol Rutchick and owned by Jack Joseph Amiel) won the Kentucky Derby under jockey Conn McCreary.



 1950 – Middleground (trained by Max Hirsch and owned by King Ranch) won the Kentucky Derby under jockey Bill Boland


I hope these pictures are all correct. Here are my pretty babies. From years ago.

 
Happy Horse Racing!
 


21 comments:

  1. Beautiful horses.
    Dark Star was also a John Carpenter film.
    None of the horses are familiar, but I have heard of Willie Shoemaker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that, Alex. Yes, horses are beautiful. We used to go to the races. Not the Derby though.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post Beverly, my dear mother loved her horse racing., brought back fond memories. Thank you.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your mother and I would have been friends, Yvonne.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful post, Beverly. My sister and I have a dream of getting to the Kentucky Derby one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin. I hope you get there one day. We never saw the Derby, but went to lots of other races in Texas and New Mexico.

      Delete
  4. Horses sure are beautiful animals. Never been to a race. Funny the names some come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are beautiful too, Pat. We went to lots of area races, non of the big ones though.

      Delete
  5. They are such beautiful animals. I always love seeing them. Thanks, Beverly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Lee. I miss my pretties. But they're the past.

      Delete
  6. So pretty! All I know about the Kentucky Derby is that the hats are fun! And Derby pie is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, the hats, Stephanie. They sure wear some fancy ones. Always watch that race on TV.

      Delete
  7. Your pretty babies are so beautiful. I am a big horse fan. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jess. I loved them. That was long ago. I still am a horse fan too. Watch the races on TV now.

      Delete
  8. Have never been to the KY derby but we have a family member who hosts a party each year and we girls dress up in fancy hats. An opportunity to have fun :-) Thanks for the history of winners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The party sounds like fun, Kenda. I always enjoy seeing the hats. Some are fantastic. So much excitement.

      Delete
  9. I love horses, but I've never ridden one. I'd like to one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too, Medeia. I wasn't much of a rider. My middle son was a jockey for a while until a horse almost killed him. He changed professions then. I miss my pretty Sunrise and her foal.

      Delete
  10. My husband went to grad school in Kentucky for a few years and still watches the horse race every year. I took horseback riding in college and distinguished myself by being the only one to fall off my horse, twice, and accidentally go over a jump. Oh well. You can't be good at everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha. You sound like me. I fell off a horse once, decided then I'd better leave the riding to others and just enjoy looking at the horses. That's true. Be good at what you do. :)

      Delete