Saturday, April 9, 2016

A TO Z CHALLENGE "H" FOR HAIR STYLES OF THE 50's


Talk about fun, researching hair styles of the 1950s was definitely fun. I can't believe we really wore our hair the way I'm going to show you. Looking back in my high school yearbook, I can see that we did. Enjoy.



Hair styles for women in the 1950s varied from short to long. Movie stars, models, and magazines were an important source of ideas for the styles. Very short hair was popular in the early '50s.  There was the poodle style where the hair had tight curls, like a poodle's curly hair. One style was the beehive. In the mid 1950s teenage girls sometimes wore a high ponytail, often tied with a scarf. The first Barbie dolls, in 1959, had ponytails.


























 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Music and film stars also had a major influence on '50s hairstyles for men. The pompadour, like Elvis Presley and James Dean wore, was popular. There also was the Ducktail. This style combed the hair back around the sides of the head. It had a central part ran from the crown to the nape at the back of the head, resembling the backside of a duck. I remember boys being sent home from school if they wore a ducktail. It became a sign of rebellious youth and of a "bad boy" image. The crew cut, flattop and ivy league were also popular.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
By the end of the decade, long hair for men became fashionable.
 
And there you have another glimpse of the past.

26 comments:

  1. Great hair style post Beverly,
    Speaking of hair I plucked up the courage and DID go to my hairdressers yesterday. Mission accomplished.
    Enjoy your week-end.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Yvonne. I bet you look gorgeous now. And what a great feeling to accomplish a task. Have a nice weekend, too.

      Delete
  2. I think the 50s women had it better than the men. Not so in the 80s. Yikes, was that a decade of HUGE hair! Great post, love the pics of Audrey and Lucy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hair is fascinating, Lexa. We look back and say "What was I thinking?" It's all in fun I guess. They were lovely ladies.

      Delete
  3. Not sure I'd ever want long hair. Sure was a bit different indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess each generation tries to be different, Pat. Part of growing up.

      Delete
  4. It seems so quaint that someone would be sent home for a hairstyle. Ah, the good old days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The schools were pretty strict then, Tamara. They also sent boys home if their jeans were too low, or their shirttails hung out. We had a lot of rebels.

      Delete
  5. This is a blast from the past. Wasn't there also a thing called a Flat Top for guys and DA for both sexes? Have to dig through some pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember the flat top and DA, Lee. There were a lot of different styles. I also learned the true name of what I'd always called a Duck Tail. :)

      Delete
  6. What a fun post! Definitely interesting to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at old photos is a blast, Kelly. I can't believe we looked like that.

      Delete
  7. I love looking back at the changes year to year, decade to decade. My kids crack up at how I looked in the 80's:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Karin. I bet young folks today think us older folks were weird.

      Delete
  8. Interesting. Hair, just like clothes, definitely define an era (especially in hindsight). Great pics :-)
    Good luck with the rest of the AtoZchallenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do, Ronel. We'll look at some fashion styles later. Thanks. Having fun, but tiring too.

      Delete
  9. It's so funny you posted this--a couple of weeks ago, I was binge-watching Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and one of the actresses looked just like Lucille Ball...same hairstyle, with it pinned back on the sides, same makeup, everything. I was thinking, "I'll bet a LOT of women copied her hairstyle back then, since she was one of the biggest stars."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a coincidence. It seems like a style catches on and everyone tries it, especially if the stars are doing it. I imagine they did. Lucille Ball was one of the best.

      Delete
  10. What a great theme, especially those of us who were children of the 50s! Glad I stopped by on the A-Z Challenge :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kenda. Nice to meet another child of the 50s. All these young things are getting a good laugh. So am I. Remembering. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. Hi there!

    I’m stopping by from the #AtoZChallenge. I wasn't around during the 50's but I've watched plenty of movies/tv shows from that era. You're right...there was a lot of change in hair styles going on in one decade...;~)

    I have two blogs in this challenge…my author blog at THE STORY CATCHER (www.donnalmartin.com) and my KICKS Kids Club blog (www.kickskidsclub.blogspot.com) . If you get a chance, check them out and good luck with the challenge!

    Donna L Martin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna. Thanks for stopping by. The 50s was my generation. It's been fun remembering. Off to visit you now, before I call it a night.

      Delete
  12. Love this! Such fond memories of these actors! Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna. I've had fun, remembering and watching some of the old movies.

      Delete
  13. You know I've always liked those high ponytails in the fifties. One with Audrey Hepburn is so cute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hepburn was a cutie, Sharon. I still pull my hair back in a ponytail around the house. :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete