Wednesday, April 6, 2016

A TO Z CHALLENGE "E" and IWSG

Now you knew I'd have to talk about Elvis. So today is the day.
 
Elvis Aaron Presley was born on January 8, 1935 in East Tupelo, one of the poorer parts of Mississippi. He was born in the front room, the bedroom, on an iron bedstead, lumpy mattress and all. His mother Gladys did not know she was having twins. The second baby was born dead. Jesse Garon Presley was buried the next day in an unmarked grave in a hillside cemetery.

 
When Elvis was 13 years old, he and his family moved to Memphis, Tennessee. His music career began there in 1954, when he recorded a song with producer Sam Phillips at Sun Records. The rest, as they say is history.
 
 
Later, Elvis joined RCA. He made his first TV appearance with Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey on January 29, 1956. Presley's first RCA single, "Heartbreak Hotel," was released and became a number-one hit in the United States.In November 1956, he made his film debut in Love Me Tender. In 1958, he was drafted into military service.
 
 

 Before Private Presley left for Germany in September, two more recordings had been released. "Wear My Ring Around Your Neck/Doncha Think It's Time," in April and "Hard Headed Woman/Don't Ask Me Why" in June. Sadly, several years of prescription drug abuse severely damaged his health, and he died in 1977 at the age of 42.
 
His flame burned bright, just not long enough.
Rest in Peace.
 
###
 
Today is also THE INSECURE WRITER'S SUPPORT GROUP!
 
Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. Be sure to link to this page and display the badge in your post.

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Our Twitter hashtag is #IWSG
 
Ninja Alex  J. Cavanaugh is the founder of IWSG.
TRY SOMETHING NEW
 
I suppose at one time or another insecurities sneak up on us. My writing stinks. Who told me I was a writer? And so on. If that happens to you what do you do? Here are a couple of my thoughts.
 
1. Try writing something different, a short story for an anthology, for instance. Anthologies are quite popular these days. And some of them pay quite well. I like the Chicken Soup books.
 
2. Write a poem to get the flow of writing in your mind again. You might even publish it in a magazine or a poetry anthology. Magazines are read by lots of people, whether children or adults.
 
3. Try writing nonfiction, or historical, or something different to your normal writing. It can be a short article or story. Again, there are lots of magazines out there. Or maybe just write it for your own enjoyment.
 
Okay. This is more than a couple. I'll hush.
 
Happy Writing!

 
 
 

19 comments:

  1. Aw, Elvis. I think my mom has every album he ever made. And probably all the movies, too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with your mom, Sheri. I have almost every book written about Elvis and records (yes, the old-fashioned kind before CDs were invented) and movies too. There will never be another Elvis for the 50th generation, at least for this one.

      Delete
  2. I well remember when Elvis appeared on the mucis scene.
    I have gone to Gracelands , what a wonderful experience that was.
    A wonderful ISWG post to read Beverly.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graceland is a fabulous place to visit, Yvonne. A few years ago we spent a whole day there, looking at his cars, including the pink one, and his beautiful home, and everything else. Thanks for your kind words about ISWG.

      Delete
  3. Definitely gone too soon. I loved Blue Suede Shoes and anything Christmas by Elvis:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, Blue Suede Shoes. I can hear his voice now. (And I'm not crazy, yet.) Have his Christmas CDs too. Sometimes the good ones are only lent to us for a time.

      Delete
  4. I've written for several anthologies and it's refreshing to do something different - and short!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is refreshing to write something short, Alex. Not so much editing. :)

      Delete
  5. It's sad how so many celebrities get dragged down by drug abuse. He had a great voice. I liked him a lot when I was a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad, Elizabeth. So much pressure is on them, I suppose, that they try to find a way to cope with it all, and they choose the wrong way. Drugs have taken many of the talented people. I liked Elvis too, as a teen and now as a memory. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. You know, give us another 10 or 20 years and people will start asking, "Elvis who?" My poor kids wouldn't have a clue if not for Lilo and Stitch.

    Crystal Collier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Crystal. Sad but true. Old things fade away, replaced by new things.

      Delete
  7. Something different sure can help, kids books can be fun and different and being a rhyming nut helps too haha too bad Elvis got into drug abuse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great that you can write rhyming stories, Pat. It isn't easy where I'm concerned. A lot of stars go the drug route. They can't win.

      Delete
  8. Beverly, your friendly co-host here, Viola Fury. I had to laugh at the "anthology" and "poetry" approach. I used to win awards for rhetorical writing and no matter how hard I try, my fiction ends up with a bunch of people standing around in a room arguing rhetorical points. Is there such a thing as rhetorical poetry and is it as hideous as it sounds?

    I actually have a pretty cool idea for some of the stuff that is going on in my 'hood and I think I may be able to pull it off, if I can just get my character off the couch and have them quit arguing over vigilante justice, vs. the justice system. We'll see. Great post! Thanks for the listen! Viola Fury, aka Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Viola. Nice to meet you. Ha, ha. I have no idea if rhetorical poetry exists, probably wouldn't recognize it if it did. Good for you. Get tough with your characters. Show them who's the boss. Good luck.Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. I was waiting for Elvis to appear, and here he is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I couldn't leave Elvis out, c lee. He's one of my favorites.

      Delete