Wednesday, March 2, 2016

INSECURE WRITERS SUPPORT GROUP


Today is the first Wednesday in March, and you know what that means.

The Insecure Writer’s Support Group

 
Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. Be sure to link to this page and display the badge in your post.

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Our Twitter hashtag is #IWSG


Awesome Ninja Alex J. Cavanaugh is the founder of IWSG.

His awesome co-hosts for the March 2 posting of the IWSG are Lauren Hennessy, Lisa Buie-Collard, Lidy, Christine Rains, and Mary Aalgaard!  


So, how is life treating you? Do you have any insecurities? What are insecurities anyhow? They likely are different for each of us. I was sailing along, fairly secure, working on ideas to promote my forthcoming book. Fun stuff.

Then, edits came for another book. Lots of edits. Like rearranging scenes, and other changes. Great advice about what's not working. I can see the problems now. They do need correcting.

Well, I am a slow writer. I can spend hours on one page. So now I'm promoting and editing, along with wanting to write another short story for a Christmas Chicken Soup book and a memoir for Writer's Digest contest.

How is it writers can sometimes go for weeks and months with little to do, except maybe a WIP, and then all of a sudden everything happens at once?

I'm not complaining. I'm happy about my stories. Everything will work out. I know. The promo, the editing, the short stories. Who needs to sleep anyhow?

Thanks for listening. Any tips appreciated.

Happy Reading and Writing.





28 comments:

  1. I can relate to being a slow writer.
    When it all happens at once, you just do what you can. My last book came out in the middle of the Challenge. Now that was overload!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet, we survive, Alex. And in the end, it's worth all the work.

      Delete
  2. Just have to go with it, sometimes things do hit you all at once indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life seems to work that way for sure, Pat. And we do our best.

      Delete
  3. Indeed, everything does happen at once. Murphy's law.

    Speaking of Murphy...I'll be posting my review of Under a Purple Moon on Friday. Is that the promotion you're referring to? *claps hands excitedly*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha. I like your connection there, Kai. Murphy's my favorite character, I think. Great! Looking forward to the review. That's part of the promotion, plus other things I'm working on. I hear your clapping all the way to Texas. :)

      Delete
  4. That seems to be the way things go. You have nothing then BAM! You have so many things to work on that you feel like you're drowning. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Chrys. And we get them done. Thanks for your support. :)

      Delete
  5. It's called feast or famine. And I intend to sleep when I'm dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Diane. Sleep is not that important. I thank you for all you've done to get Under a Purple Moon published. You're great to work with. It won't be long. :)

      Delete
  6. A slow writer is not so bad as one can usually spot mistakes early than later. Enjoyed the post Beverly.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I'm so slow, Yvonne. I revise as I go along. The English teacher in me just can't ignore some stuff. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. Amen! I'm in 2 anthologies both coming out in May with a TON of promotional expectations, and I've got an editing deadline of May 1 for my current novel. *passing a wedge of cheese* Keep your strength up, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are busy, Crystal. I don't see how you do it with children. I just have cats. Thanks for the cheese. It will help. Good luck.

      Delete
  8. For a slow writer you sure are prolific! You have quite a few books out there. I'm impressed. That means you are one hard worker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the stories I worked on for two or three or even more years, Stephanie. It took that long to get them right. :)I do enjoy it though. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. New follower here :) There is no such thing as a slow writer! I've been working on my book for 8 years... the same book. The one thing I've learned is you can't (and shouldn't) rush this process. Each one of us works at our own pace and with our own unique muse. Don't worry, just take one day at a time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, WritingNut. One day at a time is the only way. Sometimes I think it would be great to turn out more than one or two pages a day. Not for me, I guess. Best of luck with your story. I have some that I worked on for about four years and there are others that I started years ago and one day I may finish them :) Thanks for following.

      Delete
  10. The same happens to me. I can be working on drafts merrily at home and then I'm hit with contracts, edits, promotions, and other things at the same time. I need my energy drinks and to cut out all extra activities at those times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it is fun and what we love to do, Medeia. I drink a lot of tea.

      Delete
  11. Yes! Why does everything always come at once? I'm glad to hear your edits are coming along and you have plans for new stories for Chicken Soup for the Soul and the Digest. You know how you do it all? One little step at a time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lexa. One step at a time is the only way, and it all works out.

      Delete
  12. I can totally relate to everything happening at once! Isn't that always the way! Glad to hear that things are going well with the edits. Good luck!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you can, Jess, with your new book out and all your signings and stuff. It's better to be busy than to have nothing going. Longer days would help. :)

      Delete
  13. It's amazing, isn't it, how everything happens that way? When things get crazy, I live by my to-do lists. Write everything down that needs to be done, prioritize them, and check things off one by one. As Lexa said, one step at a time. Good luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, loril. I make lists too. It's so much fun to check items off. I seldom accomplish all of them when planned. Must work faster. Thanks.

      Delete
  14. Everything will work out for you, Beverly. I'm sending bright wishes to you on accomplishing all the stories and memoir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the bright wishes, Claudine. I'm optimistic. :)Just need to get busy.

      Delete