Monday, March 28, 2016

BOOK REVIEWS AND LITPICK

Quote for the week:  You're going to come across people in your life who will say all the right words at all the right times. But in the end, it's always their actions you should judge them by. It's actions, not words, that matter. Nicholas Sparks

Lately, I've been trying to catch up on reading and reviewing. My TBR stack is growing shorter, but I still have a ways to go. Here are a couple of my latest reads. Enjoy.

ANNA AND THE SWALLOW MAN Review

By Gavriel Savit



In a perfect world, a seven-year-old child would have a mother, a father, and a home. He or she would have plenty to eat and friends to play with in the magical land of childhood. Unfortunately, we live in a less than perfect world, where men fight one another, where children sometimes are left to struggle for survival on their own. This is the world of seven-year-old Anna Lania in Author Gavriel Savit’s novel ANNA AND THE SWALLOW MAN.

The year is 1939. Anna and her father live in Krakow. Poland is occupied by the Germans. The day her world changes, her seventh birthday, Anna’s father, a professor at the university, has to attend a lecture. She never sees him again.

Anna’s story is a story of survival. It’s a story of friendship and trust. When she meets Swallow Man, they become a family, of sorts. Hunger, fear, and doubts travel with them as they wander from place to place, trying to keep out of sight of those who would kill them. When they meet Hirschl, new problems arise because he’s different.

ANNA AND THE SWALLOW MAN is a beautiful yet sad novel that will bring tears to your eyes, at least it did to mine. I so wanted good things for them, but the times they lived in were difficult for all. Anna is a precious child. The author makes her so real you care what happens to her. The Swallow Man is strange in some ways, but truly cares for Anna, though he has his own way of showing it. And Hirschl is a character I’ll always remember. They made the best of their lives. I wonder if I could do the same.

This would make a good addition to high school libraries and classrooms, as well as public libraries, to remind us of the good times we live in. Maybe we should be more thankful and complain less about our lives.

The publisher sent me an ARC for my honest review.

###


OPEN MINDS Review

By Susan Kaye Quinn


Have you ever thought it might be fun to read another person’s mind, to know their every thought? How about being able to control a person’s mind? Do you believe this might someday be possible? Who knows? Strange things happen in our world.

OPEN MINDS, a YA fantasy novel by Author Susan Kaye Quinn, is the story of Kira Moore, a zero, which means she cannot read the minds of others, making her different than most of her classmates. Being a zero is bad enough, but then she makes a discovery that leads her down a path of danger and lies, heartbreak and betrayal. Kira has to stop the horrors going on and save those she loves. But what can one girl do against the clan, a powerful organization and the men that prey on others?

The author has created a fascinating world of what can happen when a person, or persons, are different to others. Kira is a likable character who just wants to be like the other kids her age. She wants friends. But who can she trust? Simon? Raf? Her parents? Raf is my favorite character. He cares so much for Kira, and I thought he was just right for her.

OPEN MINDS is a touching story about wanting to belong. It’s a story of making choices and the result of sometimes making the wrong choices. For fantasy lovers and those who enjoy adventure too. Pick up a copy; I think you’ll enjoy it.

###

And UNDER THE PURPLE MOON has some lovely reviews and more are coming in. You can see them at Good Reads and Amazon

For those of you that write for children and teens, here's a site you might want to check for your work:  Litpick Teens and children review the books, which is neat.

That's it for today.

Happy Reading.

###
 
 

22 comments:

  1. Awesome you're getting some great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Qoute Beverly, so pleased you're getting excellent reviews.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna sounds like a lovely book. Though I have to be 'ready' to read sad books like that. Open Minds is a fantastic book. The entire series is great. Love Susan's writing.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, Kai. I don't normally like to read "sad" books, but occasionally I do. I need to read the next books in Susan's series.
      A great week to you, also.

      Delete
  4. Great reviews and awesome you are getting some too. Sounds like a site to check indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat. The reviews make writing worthwhile.

      Delete
  5. Great reviews, Beverly...I want to read both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could get my TBR pile to grow smaller. I can't seem to do that for all my trying. You've picked two wonderful stories to read and review, and now I have more books to add to my list. You're not helping, Beverly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say, C Lee. :)Too many books are out there. I just started your dragon story. Mysterious.

      Delete
  7. Great reviews...I'm adding both books to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, New Release Books. They're both interesting stories and quite different. Enjoy.

      Delete
  8. I have Susan's book and plan on reading it. I need to see about getting the first book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna and the Swallow Man is different, Medeia. At first I wasn't sure I liked it, but as I kept reading, I began to understand.

      Delete
  9. Open Minds sounds exciting. And Anna and the Swallow Man sounds like an emotional story. Swallow Man is an interesting character. I'm not sure what to make of him. Is he real? I'll have to read the blurb and the book to find out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a lot of questions in my mind about Swallow Man, too, Chrys. I wondered if a man like him could really exist. Part of the magic of the story, I suppose.

      Delete
  10. YAY to good reviews. Mine was one of them. :-) Also, this site has kids reviewing books, as well: http://www.dogobooks.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, Stephanie. Thank you so much. You make the book sound really good. I'm smiling and floating on clouds. Thanks for the link to another review site. Can't have too many. :)

      Delete