Monday, February 15, 2016

UNHOLY BLUE REVIEW

Quote for the week: I finally understood what true love meant...love meant that you care for another person's happiness more than your own, no matter how painful the choices you face might be. Nicholas Sparks

I am so excited to share the latest novel of my dear friend and awesome author Darby Karchut/Kaye. And here it is: UNHOLY BLUE (Bannerman Boru), sequel to THE STAG LORD.

 This cover fascinates me. Shay Doyle does also.
 
Here are my thoughts.
 
UNHOLY BLUE Review
By Darby Kaye

What does the word family mean to you? For me, I see a mother, a father, children, grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles. Perhaps your idea of family includes still others, someone that’s very close to you, that you can depend on when you need a friend or a hug.

Award-Winning Author Darby Kaye’s latest novel, UNHOLY BLUE, sequel to THE STAG LORD, is a story about many things: Celtic warriors, shape shifters, Goblins, dogs, and bravery, to mention a few. It’s also the touching tale of a family: a man, his eight-year-old son, and a woman who loves them both. And that’s one reason why I love this story so much.

I’ve been counting the days for Shay Doyle the Healer, Bannerman Boru (Bann) the immortal Celtic Warrior, and Bann’s son, Cormac, to continue their story. And boy do they. They still have Lord Cernunnos, the shapeshifter now in the dog Max’s body, the Tully clan, and those darned old Goblins and Fir Blogs to deal with. They have an additional problem, as well: to tell Cor about their forthcoming marriage.

Speaking of Cor, he’s my favorite character. He’s all boy, confused at his father’s and Shay’s behavior sometimes, brave when necessary, and friend and protector to his puppy, Sam. One of my favorite scenes is with Cor and Sam, where Shay tells him not to let the puppy sleep on his bed. So what does Cor do? Like most any boy, he solves the problem in his own way. He puts his pillow and blanket in the dog cage and curls up with Sam. I laughed when I read this: all boy. The relationship between Cor and his father is sweet and touching. There are funny scenes that made me laugh and also scary scenes when their lives are in danger, and I wondered if Bann and Shay (a great warrior herself) would survive. Some of the fighting got pretty bloody.

Darby Kaye/Darby Karchut has a way of creating characters that come to life. I can picture Bann and Shay as they fight together, make love together, and try to be good parents for Bann’s and soon-to-be Shay’s son. Speaking of the hunk, Bann is brave and fears little, yet he’s gentle with his son and Shay. He’s not perfect, however, and he and Shay, with her strong personality, sometimes clash.

UNHOLY BLUE has violence. It has romance. Most of all it has a family that will have you cheering for them when their future looks bleak. I’ve read all of Darby Kaye/Darby Karchut’s books, and they just keep getting better and better.

One thing I’d like to know. There is a third book in the series, Ms. Kaye, right?

Highly recommended.

###

Available at AMAZON     BARNES AND NOBLE

About the author:

Darby Karchut is an award-winning author, dreamer, and compulsive dawn greeter. She's been known to run in blizzards and bike in lightning storms. When not dodging death by Colorado, Darby is busy writing urban fantasy for tweens, teens, and adults, and is now trying her hand at contemporary fiction.

 

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great read indeed with much taking seed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great read, Pat. A lot is going on in this story.

      Delete
  2. Another Darby book? That girl cannot be stopped. Thank goodness for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She just keeps on writing, Lee. I think she has another one out this spring sometimes, a western story maybe?

      Delete
  3. Thank you, sweetie, for reading and reviewing. Shay was such a fun character to write. One of the few "girls" I've written!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did a very nice job with Shay. She held her own with the "boys." Looking forward to reading more about your young men, the older ones too. :)

      Delete
  4. That cover is cool and the title is unique. "Celtic warriors, shape shifters, Goblins, dogs..." Wow. I like all of that! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot goes on in this story, Chrys. It's the second book in the series. I'm hoping there's a third. :)

      Delete
  5. What a classy cover! Such perfect detail. Congratulations to Darby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that vision of Shay, Stephanie. She's quite a character too.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I agree, Yvonne, the cover is gorgeous. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Unholy Blue is a striking title and the cover would definitely make me stop and pick it up. Wishing Darby much success! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darby just keeps on writing and writing, Lexa.

      Delete
  8. Congrats to Darby on what sounds like another great book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a great book, Kelly, a bit different than her stories for tweens and teens.

      Delete
  9. I have seen this one around. Sounds interesting! Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The characters, especially the boy and dog just wouldn't let me stop reading, Jess. :)

      Delete