Wednesday, February 24, 2016

THE SECRET FILES OF FAIRDAY MORROW REVIEW

Do you enjoy fun stories, spooky stories, and stories with surprises along the way? If so, then
take a look at THE SECRET FILES OF FAIRDAY MORROW, a novel for middle grade readers, by Authors Jessica Haight and Stephanie Robinson and a wonderful read.


The cover makes me wonder what they're looking for.
 
Here are my thoughts.
 
THE SECRET FILES OF FAIRDAY MORROW
By Jessica Haight and Stephanie Robinson
Illustrated by Roman Muradov
 
Moving to a different house in a new town and leaving behind dear friends is rough on anyone. It’s especially tough for children, who also have to start a new school where they don’t know anyone.
 
In THE SECRET FILES OF FAIRDAY MORROW, a novel for middle grade readers, by Jessica Haight and Stephanie Robinson, Fairday Morrow faces such a situation. She’s not very happy about moving, either.  The house, known as Begonia House, is old and decrepit. Even though her parents are going to renovate the place, she just wants to go home. It doesn’t take long, however, for Fairday (I love her name) to discover a room on the third floor of the house, and in that room there are mysteries to solve. Enter Lizzie, her friend from her former town who comes to visit for the weekend, and Marcus, a new boy she meets at school, and the DMS (Detective Mystery Squad) goes to work to solve the weird things happening at Begonia House.
                                                    
I laughed. I held my breath. I followed the DMS crew through every room of the house and every experience they had. The authors give each character a distinct personality. The description of the house is perfect and who doesn’t love a haunted house? Well, maybe the ghosts or whatever’s doing the haunting don’t care for it so much.
 
Take the lively characters, the spooky setting, and the suspense waiting to see if the DMS succeeds in their quest to solve the riddles of Begonia House, and you have a winner. I can picture young sleuths now, after reading this novel, doing some investigating of their own. The black-and-white illustrations by Roman Muradov add just the right touch to the story. 
 
Every school library and classroom , as well as public libraries, should have a copy of this book, and your own library too, of course. Highly recommended.
 
###
 
 Happy Reading!
 
 


26 comments:

  1. Jess and Stephanie will love that review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review indeed, getting good reviews all around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the book...everyone should read it! And how cool was it that the authors saw a random child reading it in line the other day? I think that's on my bucket list (although totally out of my control). I'd love to be standing somewhere and see a kid reading my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be exciting, Stephanie. We all can hope.

      Delete
  4. I have that book, and just haven't had time to read it yet. Your review put it immediately at the top of my stack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I read that one. It was different than anything I've read before. Certainly unexpected. I handed it off to my kids and am awaiting their response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what makes it such a fun story, Crystal. It is different.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely surprise to read your review, Beverly! We are so excited that you love Fairday's story. :) Thank you so much for sharing your review with readers.
    ~Stephanie and Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I planned to notify you, Jess, but today's been hectic and I did nothing I planned to do. Blame it on the cats. :)The review's on Good Reads and Library Thing too. Haven't been to B&N yet.

      Delete
  7. This one is also on my TBR list. I need to catch up on my reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My reading is way behind too, Chrys. The days should be longer.

      Delete
  8. I love that we are getting a strong selection of MG to read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, Beverly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some great mg books out there, Kai. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. I had a great time reading this book, too. Who doesn't love a haunted house, indeed? Actually, it sounds like a nice place to live ~ with music streaming from one room, and a beautiful tree outside. Problem is ... yea, we know what the problems are lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha. Yep, Claudine. Haunted houses are fun, but also scary.

      Delete
  10. Sounds good, Beverly. You're so wonderful at reviewing books & keeping us updated on new stuff. Best wishes to the authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. I enjoy reading and telling others about a good book. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. I loved this book. My daughter and I couldn't put it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so neat that you and your daughter read together, Kelly.

      Delete
  12. Nothing's better than a haunted house story! Congrats to Jessica and Stephanie on the book and for your great review! (I have your new book scheduled to feature mid March. Looking forward to it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet, Lexa. Haunted houses make great stories.
      Oh, thank you. I'm excited. If you need anything for Purple Moon, cover or blurb, links, let me know. It will be out soon.

      Delete
  13. Wonderful review. I read this and enjoyed it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Medeia. This is a beautiful and a fun story. I can imagine kids loving it.

      Delete