Monday, January 11, 2016

INK RIPPLES #INKRIPPLES

Quote for the week: It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. Albert Einstein


#InkRipples is a monthly meme created by Kai Strand, Mary Waibel, and Katie L. Carroll. They post on the first Monday of every month with a new topic. They're all authors, but you don’t have to be to participate.

 

The idea of #InkRipples is to toss a word, idea, image, whatever into the inkwell and see what kind of ripples it makes. They provide the topics and will be blogging about them on the first Monday of the month. You can spread your own ripples by blogging about the topic any day of the month that fits your schedule, just be sure to include links back to Katie, Kai, and Mary.
 
 
 
 
Or you can simply share your thoughts on social media using the hashtag #InkRipples. You might simply comment on one of our posts to pay along. Tag us and we’re always happy to share your posts and thoughts to keep those ripples going and intersecting.
There is no wrong way to do #InkRipples (with the exception of following basic human decency!). It’s about having a conversation, sharing ideas, and connecting. So if this sounds at all interesting, please do participate in whatever way you can. And feel free to use any of the meme’s images (created by the wonderful Mary Waibel).
The topics for 2016 are:
 

January - Travel
February – Chocolate March – Feminism
April – Poetry
May – Memories
June – Movies
July – Inspiration
August – Guilty Pleasures
September – Banned Books
October – Masks
November – Heritage
December – Cookies
 
I haven't traveled to exotic places or other countries (except for Mexico) but the US has lots of beautiful cities and scenery to see. One of my favorite cities is Charleston, SC. So much history is there, the old churches, colleges, and homes. And the lighthouses.
 
This is Morris Island Lighthouse, opened in 1876. A nonprofit organization is now trying to preserve it. The lighthouse stands on the southern side of the entrance to Charleston Harbor. We watched the sunrise at the lighthouse one morning. I snapped this picture. The picture below is from the Net, but is a bit clearer.
It's not open to visitors. The lighthouse does appear in my MG story A Pirate, a Blockade Runner, and a Cat. The blockade runner ghost lives in the lighthouse
 
When my husband and son went fishing, my daughter-in-law and I went to Boone Hall Plantation, a gorgeous old home that was featured in some movie about the Civil War. Don't recall the title. We took a tour through the house.  The plantation house was built in the mid-eighteenth century. In 1935 it was restored. It is a private home, but visitors can tour it, though they're not allowed upstairs
These live oak trees were planted in 1743, and I think only one has been lost, in a hurricane.
 
This is the College of Charleston. A beautiful building used in the movie The Patriot.
 
 
The beautiful homes along the river. Many of them were built in the 1800s.
.
Museums, walking tours, the ocean, and so much else makes Charleston my favorite place to visit.
 
The mountains of Ruidoso and the horse races are another favorite. And San Diego, CA, is nice. Love the zoo there. But not the traffic.
 
Where do you like to travel?
 
Happy Reading!
 
 
 
 

21 comments:

  1. Be neat to see all those old homes. I've only ever gone to NY once lol that is the extent of my travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are gorgeous, Pat. They have tours through some of the homes. People still live in most of them. I've always wanted to go to New York. My mother was born in Brooklyn.

      Delete
  2. Charleston is a cool town. Been there several times.
    I lived in London for a while and look forward to going back and exploring more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to London, Alex, but would love to go back to Charleston. My oldest son and his wife have recently bought a home there that was built in the 1800s. It's been updated and remodeled but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

      Delete
  3. Charleston looks lovely. My daughter wants to go see lighthouses:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lighthouse are fascinating, Karin. Most have such a great history behind them.

      Delete
  4. Yay! So glad you're still posting #InkRipples for 2016. I love seeing your take on the monthly topic.

    I agree that Charleston is beautiful, historic, and a wonderful place to visit. The U.S. does have many wonderful places to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the meme, Katie, and inviting others to play along. It's a lot of fun.

      Delete
  5. Charleston is absolutely one of the most charming cities in the U.S. I love to travel, and the U.S. has a lot to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Lee. And they always have something exciting going on. The U. S. has a lot of places I'd like to visit. Maybe some day.

      Delete
  6. I love our country. The topography is as diverse as the people. Charleston looks charming. I've never been there. I spent a lot of time in Atlanta. This Northern girl thoroughly enjoyed the Southern charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Kai. I have no desire to live anywhere else. We drove through Atlanta on the way to Charleston. I'm sure the southerners enjoyed your northern charm too.

      Delete
  7. I have never been to Charleston- but I really enjoyed looking at your pictures. It does look like a beautiful place to visit. Definitely lots of amazing places in the USA. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess. If you like history, Charleston is the place to go, among others. I'd love to visit New York and other places North. So much to see.

      Delete
  8. I love places like Charleston. I don't recall visiting there, so I'll have to add it to my list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot to see for sure, Mary. Always something happening.

      Delete
  9. I love places like Charleston. I don't recall visiting there, so I'll have to add it to my list!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Caribbean is my favorite travel destination. I've been to Aruba, the Bahamas (twice), St. Thomas (twice), St. John, and St. Croix. We have a trip back to Aruba planned for July and I'm literally counting the days. 177 days to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds awesome, Kelly. Relaxing and romantic.

      Delete
  11. Awesome picture's what I noticed was No Rain".
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvonne. Charleston's weather is nice, never terribly cold. They do have rain and beautiful flowers and trees. A month or so ago, they had flooding because of the tides caused by heavy rains in the ocean.

      Delete