Wednesday, December 2, 2015

DEE AND DEB OFF THEY GO KINDERGARTEN FIRST DAY JITTERS TOUR & IWSG

I am excited to introduce you to two of the cutest characters that you will fall in love with the minute you see them. I know I did. So, join Award Winning Author Donna M. McDine in a look at her latest picture book DEE AND DEB OFF THEY GO KINDERGARTEN FIRST DAY JITTERS.


Aren't the girls adorable?
 
 
Book description: The anxiety of finding one’s own place and friends in kindergarten without the comfort of having her fraternal twin sister nearby at first overwhelms Dee until she realizes even without her fraternal twin sister, Dee and her classmates for the most part are in the same boat.
 

About the author:

Donna McDine’s creative side had laid dormant for many years until her desire to write sparked in 2007. With several early reader children’s picture books to her credit:
 ·      A Sandy Grave (Purple Dragonfly 2014 Award First Place Picture Books 6+, Story Monster Approved and Beach Book Festival Honorable Mention 2014);
·      Powder Monkey (Purple Dragonfly 2015 Award First Place Historical Fiction and Story Monster Approved 2014);
·      Hockey Agony (Purple Dragonfly 2015 Award Honorable Mention Picture Books 6 & Older and New England Book Festival Honorable Mention 2014 and Story Monster Approved 2014);
·      The Golden Pathway (Literary Classics Silver Award & Seal of Approval Recipient Picture Book Early Reader 2011 and Readers Favorite 2012 International Book Awards Honorable Mention) and;
·      Dee and Deb, Off They Go - Kindergarten First Day Jitters (December 2015) all with Guardian Angel Publishing.
McDine’s adventures continue as she ignites the curiosity of children through reading while she writes and moms from her home in the historical hamlet Tappan, NY. McDine is a member of the SCBWI, New York State Reading Association and Family Reading Partnership.
 
You can order copies now at Donna's blog The book will be available at Amazon and other book stores soon.


DEE AND DEB OFF THEY GO

KINDERGARTEN FIRST DAY JITTERS (My Review)

By Donna M. McDine

Illustrations by Jack Foster




A child’s first day at kindergarten, with new kids and a teacher, is difficult enough. If they’re also facing the day separated from their twin for the first time in their life, it’s frightening. Who will they talk to? Who will they play with?

Multi-Award-Winning author Donna M. McDine’s latest picture book, DEE AND DEB OFF THEY GO, KINDERGARTEN FIRST DAY JITTERS, is an adorable story about Dee and Deb, fraternal twins who learn the answers to the above questions. Told from Dee’s point of view, the reader follows her through the first day of kindergarten as she discovers a whole new world. And it’s not quite what she had expected.

The artwork by Award-Winning Illustrator Jack Foster is bright and colorful. His drawings of the two girls, with their big eyes and freckles on their cheeks, sometimes smiles on their faces, other times puzzled looks in their eyes, show the emotions the girls feel on being away from each other for the day. Foster’s excellent drawings bring the story to life making the reader love Dee and Deb, at least this reader did.

The author and artist have done a remarkable job, resulting in a story that young readers should find interesting and fun, especially children that have a twin. I recommend DEE AND DEB OFF THEY GO, KINDERGARTEN FIRST DAY JITTERS for everyone that loves a sweet story with characters you’d like to meet in real life and a true-to-life plot. This picture book would make a nice addition to school libraries and classrooms, public libraries and, of course, your own private library.

Goodbye, Dee and Deb. Enjoy kindrgarten.

I was given a copy of this novel for my honest review.

###
 
 

December 2 is the first Wednesday of the month, which means it's INSECURE WRITER'S SUPPORT GROUP. The purpose is to share and encourage writers. Awesome Alex J. Cavanaugh is the founder of the IWSG. If you'd like to join and/or see who else is signed up, go here. It's very easy and fun.

His awesome co-hosts for this month are Sandra Hoover, Mark Koopmans, Doreen McGettigan, Megan Morgan, and Melodie Campbell!

Now, I'm not really insecure. A lot of exciting things are happening in my writing world. My cat story will be in CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL MY VERY GOOD, VERY BAD CAT, due out in February. I'm reading the Unproofed Advance Copy of my YA novel UNDER A PURPLE MOON, scheduled for a March release, for mistakes. (Yes, there are a few, but they'll be corrected.) 

And I do have a bit of insecurity there.
What will readers think about the story?
Will they like the characters?
Will the story bore them?
I know those questions are out of my hands, so I try not to think about them, but they're in my mind.

How about you? What are your emotions when your new book is published?

Have a great December.

Happy Writing.






 
 

46 comments:

  1. Can't please everyone, so I just ignore such stuff. The artwork sure can make a book too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling myself that, Pat. I try to ignore. And that is surely an adorable book.

      Delete
  2. That story sounds cute! Kids and parents would love it.

    I'm so happy for you and your cat story. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a sweet story, Chrys. Thanks. Tiger and I are happy. Well, he's unhappy with me at the moment because I won't let him go outside. It's too chilly. I tell him later.

      Delete
    2. Chrys, thanks for your kinds words of support! Best, Donna

      Delete
  3. That story sounds cute! Kids and parents would love it.

    I'm so happy for you and your cat story. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the review, Bev! I'll be tweeting it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Mayra. I'll tweet it again and I think it's on Face Book. Need to check. Donna has written another winner.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations to Donna!
    You have an exciting couple months coming up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Alex. Exciting things are happening at the moment.

      Delete
    2. Alex, thanks for your incredible support! Best, Donna

      Delete
  6. Congrats to Donna, I hope your book in march is the success you deserve.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review, Beverly! I love Dee and Deb:) Congratulations, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are precious girls, Karin, and easy to write about because I really do like them.

      Delete
    2. Karin, thanks for your never ending heartwarming support! Best, Donna

      Delete
  8. You have some exciting events happening! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully one of them will get confirmed.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Sandra. This does seem to be a busy and exciting time, for Donna and for me. Hopefully for you as well. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. Beverly, you've brightened my day! Thank you for your heartwarming review of Dee and Deb Off They Go. I appreciate your never ending support!

    I can't wait to read Under a Purple Moon!

    Warmest regards, Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your characters are adorable, I think the closeness you have with your sister shows in the book. I'm happy you like the review. I hope a lot of people read about Deb and Dee. The girls should make them smile.

      Delete
  10. Bev, let me know how you want your credit to show on your book review on my media materials. Thanks a bunch - donna@donnamcdine.com - Warmly, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hurray for the book release! I think every author feels those insecurities, because really, writing is art and people will either like it or not like it. But, as long as you wrote the story you wanted to, the absolute best way you could, then that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, author. Thanks. Yes, it's part of the life of a writer. You're right. We write what we have to and then it's out of our hands. Thanks for the pep talk. It helps.

      Delete
  12. I have those same thoughts amid the excitement.

    This looks like a great picture book. First day jitters are very real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we're just normal, Medeia. :)
      As a teacher, you know.

      Delete
    2. I should have added "you know about the jitters." My brain is tired.

      Delete
  13. Don't forget to Celebrate! It's a great accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, E. Arroyo. Celebration is fun too.

      Delete
  14. Starting kindergarten can be scary. Congratulations on the good things happening in your writing world, Beverly! The 'will they or won't they like my story' insecurity is real and it gets to every author I know. Sometimes my insecurities come in different aspects, like I'd wonder if my cover is attractive enough or if I'm the only person thinking it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Claudine. I suppose the insecurities of what others think about our work is a common condition among writers. I think that about the covers sometimes too.

      Delete
  15. Congratulations, Donna. Good luck on your new book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a delightful story, Janet. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  16. Look at those kids on the cover. SO cute!!! It's a very relatable subject, too...I'm sure we all can imagine how scary it must be for a kindergartner on the first day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are precious, Stephanie. I don't remember that long ago, but I imagine it was scary. I was shy anyway.

      Delete
  17. Those kindergartners look adorable. Sounds like a great book! Lots of kids are scared on the first day.

    I agree- it is hard not to worry and wonder about what readers will think of our books. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a sweet story, Jess.
      Yes, but we survive, regardless. :)

      Delete
  18. Congrats to Donna on her new release!

    It's great about your story being in the CSFTS book! I'll be pubbing my novel about the same time as you, but I'm not nervous (atm). I have zero expectations and just plan to keep on writing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulationw, Lexa. Now, perk up, girl. Hope for the best. And definitely keep on writing. I just finished reading your book The Mission. A great story. I'll be posting a review soon, but am way behind, since I've been looking for corrections to the ARCs for Purple Moon. I'm so slow.

      Delete
  19. Replies
    1. It is a precious story, Kelly. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  20. Love this writer, & the books sounds precious. Thanks, Beverly, for highlighting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna writes lovely stories, Janet. My pleasure to share her work with others.

      Delete