Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Christmas trees come in all sizes. Some are live; some are artificial. Have you ever seen a tree made of tumbleweeds? If not, here's a fascinating one, at least to me.


Since 1957, the community of Chandler, Arizona, has built a tumbleweed tree with tumbleweeds they gathered from around town. Chandler is the only city in the southwestern United States that has such a tree. The crew gathers nearly 1,000 tumbleweeds each year and builds a 25 foot tall tree over a wire frame. They spray the tumbleweeds with white paint, flame retardant and sprinkle with glitter. Around 1,200 lights decorate the tree, and the town has a ceremony to switch the lights on. I think it would be neat to see this tree.

Here's another tumbleweed tree.

 
One day, when I was taking a walk, a tumbleweed rolled across the path in front of me. Now, there's a story there, I thought. I took it in the house and decorated it. I had to be careful, though, because they do have sharp branches. I also wrote a story for early readers about the tumbleweed.
 
Barnes& Noble                       
 
 
 
 
A Reminder
 
The Good Reads Giveaway ends today, December 9th. The publisher and I are giving away an Unproofed ARC of UNDER A PURPLE MOON, my YA Contemporary Novel due out March 15, 2016.
 
Happy Reading!
 



24 comments:

  1. Awesome! What a great use of tumbleweeds...they can save a tree that way. Have you ever seen a tree made of wine bottles? Not quite as environmentally-friendly, but I suppose it's one way to recycle!

    https://cherrywalnut.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/winebottlexmastree.jpg?w=390&h=522&crop=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that tree of wine bottles is fascinating, Stephanie. People are so creative. I've seen a tree made of books. Neat.

      Delete
  2. Never would have guessed it was made of tumbleweeds from the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably a closer view would show the tumbleweeds more clearly, Pat.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of that before...talk about using your resources!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw! Tumbleweeds. I love that they collect them and make a tree. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a clever idea. Especially since tumbleweeds are everywhere in the desert. Can't even tell it's not a real pine tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tree does look real, Alex. That's using our natural resources.

      Delete
  6. I've never seen a Christmas tree like that, but I guess at the end of the day as long as there are Christmas decorations on it any tree will do.
    Great to read,
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right, Yvonne. I like the idea of buying live trees and then planting them after Christmas.

      Delete
  7. That's a really cool idea. I've never heard of this before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard about it either, Kelly, until I decided to write about a tumbleweed tree. Then I discovered my idea wasn't original.

      Delete
  8. Using tumbleweeds as a Christmas tree is a fantastic idea actually and it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was neat when I saw the tree, Murees. Different that's for sure.

      Delete
  9. I think it'd be neat, too. Haven't heard of a tumbleweed X'mas tree before this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of it either, Claudine, until I researched tumbleweeds for my story. And there the tree was, all decorated for Christmas. Who would have thought it?

      Delete
  10. I love that Arizona uses what it has to make a tree! So clever and original. Tumbleweeds are amazing. Some can be so huge and bristly! We have desert here, but the only thing blowing around is lots of dust and plastic garbage bags (those things never disintegrate). Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Lexa. Use our resources the best we can. You paint a vivid picture of your deserts. Maybe one day someone will figure out a use for the plastic garbage bags. :) (Besides our trash.)

      Delete
  11. Some of my friends live near Chandler, AZ- I will have to tell them to check out this unique tree! I have never seen a tumbleweed in person, but am definitely curious!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be exciting to see the tree, Jess. I imagine their tree lighting ceremony is lovely. We have tumbleweeds in Texas.

      Delete
  12. Wow! It looks beautiful and its a great idea to build the tree using tumbleweed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Nas. Who would have thought tumbleweeds could be pretty? I guess that shows that most anything can be lovely, given the right care.

      Delete