Friday, November 20, 2015

THE KNIGHTS BEFORE CHRISTMAS REVIEW

Today, I'm delighted to share my thoughts about Author Joan Holub's new picture book THE KNIGHTS BEFORE CHRISTMAS. A few days ago, I had the pleasure of hosting the Book Blast for this story. Now, I've read the book and you'll want to read it too.




THE KNIGHTS BEFORE CHRISTMAS Review

By Joan Holub

Illustrated by Scott Magoon

 

 

Christmas is the season of reindeer pulling a sleigh, a chubby little man with a white beard, a bundle of toys on his back, stockings hanging by the chimney, and three knights guarding their king. Wait a minute. Three knights? A king?

 

Yes, THE KNIGHTS BEFORE CHRISTMAS, an adorable picture book by Author Joan Holub, is the story of three knights guarding their king. While the story has similarities to Clement Clarke Moore’s A VISIT FROM SAINT NICHOLAS, it is a totally different story with three knights that you can’t help loving; at least I couldn’t. Brave Knight with his lance, Polite Knight with his pen, and Silent Knight wearing his nightie really mean good, but they aren’t quite sure what to do with an invader, a red-and-white knight and eight dragons. What follows is an adventure that will have young readers giggling and reading the book over and over again, or asking Mom or Dad to read it over and over.

 

The illustrations by Scott Magoon are perfect for the story. The expressions of the Knights in each scene show their emotions. And Santa Claus is the jolly old man the reader expects him to be. A beautiful combination of story and artwork.

 

I highly recommend Joan Holub’s THE KNIGHTS BEFORE CHRISTMAS for young readers and for older readers too. Merry Christmas. Now, I’m off to read the book again.

 

I was provided a copy of this book for my honest review.

 
###

Happy Reading

16 comments:

  1. You know a book is really good when you want to read it more than once

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is, Pat. There are neat sayings in the drawings that I want to take another look at. It's such a fun read.

      Delete
  2. I love the original so much, I'd love anything like it too. This sounds very clever and funny. Almost makes me wish I had kids to read it to. Have a lovely weekend, Beverly! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Lexa. In fact, I looked the original up and read it. Wonderful memories. I don't have kids to read it to either, but I'm going to read it for me. And the kid in me. :) You have a nice weekend too.

      Delete
  3. I love Christmas books, and this one sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many lovely Christmas books, Stephanie. This has become one of my favorites, after the original.

      Delete
  4. This book looks and sounds adorable. Christmas books are so much fun. :) Great review!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a gorgeous book, Jess, and a fun read. Yes, Christmas books are wonderful. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. This is an excellent book, Thanks for puttit on for us to know about it.
    Enjoy your week-end.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Yvonne. Happy you stopped by. Have a nice weekend, too.

      Delete
  6. I'd love to read this. Looks like a charming story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun, adorable story, Medeia, with little messages scattered throughout the artwork. A great book for the young and young at heart.

      Delete
  7. That sounds like a really fun book. I love the books based on The Night Before Christmas. In fact, I wrote one. A publisher almost picked it up. I got a very nice, personal rejection. Oh well, I need to send it off to another publisher. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Janet, you need to send your manuscript out again. The next publisher may be the right one. Good luck. Thanks, the book was a fun read.

      Delete
  8. It sounds like a wonderfully fun book. Christmas books are the best. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story is one that young readers should love, older readers too. The three knights are so much fun.

      Delete