Monday, October 12, 2015

RIPPLES IN THE INKWELL

Quote for the week:  The quickest way to double your money is to fold it over and put it back in your pocket. Will Rogers

Today is the second Monday in October, which means it's also RIPPLES IN THE INKWELL day.

Ripples in the Inkwell #inkripples is a monthly meme created by Kai Strand, Mary Waibel, and Katie L. Carroll. They post on the second Monday of every month with a new topic. They're all authors, but you don't have to be to participate. Simply compose your post using the monthly theme, grab the image and link back to the three of them. Make sure to use #inkripples when you play along and promote your posts. The idea is to toss a word, idea, or image into the inkwell and each post is a new ripple. There's no wrong way to do it.
 

October's theme is fears/things that go bump in the night.
November: Remembrance/Thankfulness
December: Celebration/Gifts

Fears? I have a few. I guess my greatest fears are elevators and submarines. What do these have in common? They're suffocating, at least to me. When I'm in an elevator, I imagine all sorts of things could happen. The electricity goes out and I'm stranded not only in the elevator, but in a dark elevator. Shudder. Or, the person on the elevator with me is a mass murderer, carrying a knife that he's going to slash my throat with. Shiver.

Then there's the submarine. Have you ever been on a submarine? I was once, for about five minutes. On a visit to our son and daughter-in-law in Charleston, SC, we went to Patriot's Point where they have all these old airplanes and ships. They also have the first nuclear submarine, and visitors can go on board all of the planes and ships. So, we decided to see what a submarine was like.

First we walked down the steps into the sub. No windows. People strolling through it. No windows, like you're underground, suffocating. I tried to enjoy the experience. I really did. No windows. Finally, I told the others to go on, I'd wait for them outside. My son thought I was joking, until he saw my face. I must have looked horrified, because he said, "You're not kidding, are you?" That was my first and last adventure on a submarine. I have a lot of respect for the men and woman that spend weeks and months confined to a place where you can't see the trees and clouds and sky.

These are my greatest fears. I don't care for the dark, either, and keep candles and flashlights handy for emergencies.

What are your greatest fears?

Happy Reading!

20 comments:

  1. Loved the qoute of the week, also the entire post, Made excellent reading.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvonne. I hope you're feeling great and had a nice weekend.

      Delete
  2. I was afraid of elevators as a kid, because the one in my building would act up. I'd never want to be in a submarine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Medeia. I take the stairs whenever possible.

      Delete
  3. Elevators I don't find so bad, could crawl up the shaft if needed. But submarines? No way I'd want to be stuck in some tin can under tons of water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither do I, Pat. I'm also not a very good climber. I know they do it in the movies, but it looks tough to me. I'll take the stairs when necessary.

      Delete
  4. I've been on that submarine in Charleston! Doesn't really scare me, but sure I'd feel differently if it were underwater.
    I recommend you skip the movie I featured this week then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a very good recommendation. Not my kind of movie. :)

      Delete
  5. Enclosed spaces are not my favorite either. I have been in a submarine once...it was not pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's much nicer, I think, to see what's around me. I don't care for closets either, unless the door is open.

      Delete
  6. I'm a generally paranoid person and plan for god knows how many things to go wrong, so I can at least appreciate your fears. While I'm not specifically claustrophobic, elevators are always disturbing for the fact you are basically hanging freely over a giant hole beneath you. Equally, submarines simply need a good puncture and if you're shallow enough you drown but if you're deep enough you implode.

    Not pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You paint a vivid picture of the submarine. Thanks so much. I'm working on expecting the best and not the worst,

      Delete
  7. It seems we share claustrophobia! If an elevator has an open window I'm the one pressed against the glass. The agoraphobics huddle at the rear. It works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too, huh? If you can see what's outside it wouldn't be so bad, I guess. I've never ridden in an elevator with a glass side. It would help though.

      Delete
  8. Greatest fear is losing my family in a tragedy of some sort. I can't even talk about it, it upsets me too much. I'm not really claustrophobic & I'm super patient, so if I got stuck in an elevator, I'd just sit down and wait. I'm really good at waiting. But if the thing was jiggling...I'd be terrified it would crash down to the bottom of the well. Eek. So glad you joined us again, Beverly. Lovely to have you participate in #InkRipples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be horrible, Kai. I can't think of anything worse than losing your family. Thanks, I'm enjoying the Ripples.

      Delete
  9. /Beverly can you tell me whether you commented on my last post (Yesterday)?
    You see only people from Google Plus commented nothing from Blogger Bloggers. I think something may be wrong with my laptop.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't comment on Tuesday's post, Yvonne. I'm running about a day behind. I hope to catch up on blogging today. Hope you find the problem. Will see if what I post this afternoon shows up. :)

      Delete
  10. I am okay with elevators and submarines, but I don't like looking at veins in the wrists or having my Achilles's heal touched (even the thought makes me shiver). It is always fascinating how personal our fears are. :)

    Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Jess. Your fears are interesting. I wonder what causes us to be afraid of different things. Might be fascinating research.

      Delete