Monday, October 19, 2015

READING, WRITING, AND SCHOOL VISITS

Quote for the week: There is no joy in Mudville (Texas) tonight, for mighty Casey (Rangers & Astros) has struck out. Thanks to Casey at the Bat, by Ernest Lawrence Thayer (with an addition or two of my own.)

It's been many years since I did a school visit, and times have changed a lot. My transparencies that I used are really outdated. I'm not familiar with the modern equipment, so I won't be using Power Point and whatever else teachers use today. But I am having fun deciding what to tall about with the kids and how to get them involved in the presentation. I'm even thinking of having us sing. Ha, ha. That should be an experience since I can't carry a tune in a paper bag. Anyhow, I'm working to make the visit entertaining. Will do three different talks for the three different grades.

I'm also trying to catch up on reading and reviews. The edits the past week have slowed down my reading time. I will catch up, hopefully by the end of the year.

My writing has been neglected lately, so hope to get back to my characters and see what they're up to this week.

What are your plans for this week?

Happy Reading!



14 comments:

  1. haha getting all to sing a long would be fun. 3 visits will be interesting too. Good luck with them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I ought to record it, Pat. :) Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing the little ones.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the visits, Beverly. The little kids will sing loudly so will cover up any issues you have singing in tune:) That is definitely NOT my strong suit either! I've only visited a few classrooms in the school my kids have attended and where I still work as an SLP, but the kids are always engaged and excited even without technology as that is most definitely not my strong suit either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin. Here's to loud children. :) Since I'm technology challenged, we'll be back in the old fashioned school.

      Delete
  3. Kids are around books all day. Just the idea of meeting someone who wrote one will probably be exciting to them. I wouldn't worry to much about the technology. I don't see how teachers these days can stand the smart board. I stood in front of one for just a few moments and the bright light nearly blinded me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, Tamara. The smart board is new to me. Never heard of it. It would probably be smarter than I am. :) I'll stay with the simple life.

      Delete
  4. Hope the school visit goes well! That many kids all staring at me would make me nervous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, Alex. It's been a long time since I faced a room full of students. We'll see how it goes.

      Delete
  5. Hope you enjoyed your scholl visit, it's good to give writing a rest for a while and return to it refreshed.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. They called this morning and changed the date to Nov. 17, a week earlier. Yikes. I'd better get busy with my presentations.

      Delete
  6. School visits are amazing. So much is different every year. My husband still likes to tell the story of the "elderly" substitute who came to his high school class and presented a short lesson on the "strike anywhere match." It hadn't occurred to anyone in the class that this was even an invention. I think a former teacher giving a lesson on what used to be might be eye-opening to the kids. Mimeograph machines? Really? Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is interesting, Lee. A thought. I'm sure not up to date with the latest stuff. Yeah, I looked at my transparencies today. :) Talk about old. I am going to mention listening to stories on the radio. We didn't have a TV, and this was before the computer generation. They may not know what a radio is.

      Delete
  7. We had a PowerPoint during the last school visits I did, but the kids don't really pay all that much attention to it. I think it's more of a crutch for the speaker, although it does give a bit of a visual aid. If you do a PowerPoint, you have to worry about making sure you can connect to their projector, which can be a pain! So you're wise to stay away and keep it simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea how to do a PowerPoint, Stephanie. I'll just give an old fashioned talk. I do plan to get the kids involved. I'll show them some pictures, the print kind. :) Simple is my motto.

      Delete