Wednesday, October 7, 2015

INSECURE WRITER'S SUPPORT GROUP AND BASEBALL!

September sure flew past in a hurry, and now it's the first Wednesday in October, which means ... Yes, Insecure Writer's Support Group.


Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Visit other writers in the group here.

Awesome Ninja Alex J. Cavanaugh is the founder of IWSG. His awesome co-hosts for today are TB Markinson, Tamara Narayan, Shannon Lawrence, Stephanie Faris, and Eva E. Solar!

Our Twitter hashtag is #IWSG

Am I insecure? Doesn't that just go along with being a writer? We wait and hope for a contract. When we get it (yes, I have a contract for my YA contemporary novel, yay), we worry about getting the edits just right. We worry if anyone will read it once it's published. I say "we", maybe it's only me. So ...

I'm taking a lesson from my favorite baseball team -- go Rangers. They started the season so badly most people gave up on them from the beginning. I didn't even watch their games that much. But the team members worked together. The coaches worked with them, and in spite of one injury after another that sidelined some players for the season and others for many games, they never gave up. They worked hard. Every win was a victory. A loss made them more determined to make it to the playoffs.

Well, they did. They won their division, and it went down to the last game of the regular season. They never gave up. How far they'll go in the playoffs no one knows. But they achieved their goal.

I hope to be like the Rangers. Bring on those edits. I'm ready. And the rough sketch I saw of the cover is fabulous. My family will read the story. What more could a writer ask for?

So don't be insecure. Never give up.

Happy Writing!







26 comments:

  1. The Rangers are like the Indians from the movie Major League.
    Awesome news about the contract and the cover. Glad your family will read it. My mother has never read any of my books. (She doesn't like science fiction, so I don't hold it against her.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen that movie. Must take a look. Thanks. We love our families anyhow. :)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the contract. That is wonderful. Not everyone in my family has read my stories, but that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tamara. I think part of my family reads certain books, depending on whether they like the subject or not.

      Delete
  3. No matter what we have to keep pushing forward indeed. The Rangers have the right idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never give up! Yes, I totally agree. I'm so gosh-darned stubborn I don't think I could give up if I wanted to. Congrats on the contract and good luck with the edits - I bet the book'll be super! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometime being stubborn is good and gets results. Thanks. I hope you're right. It took many revisions before it was halfway decent.

      Delete
  5. Funny that your post is so similar to Chrys Fey's. Shows that we aren't alone in our insecurities. Oddly comforting. Working with a new editor does provide a bit of the unknown, but you're so talented that you've got nothing to worry about. Just enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that, Kai. We're in the same boat, as the old saying goes. Thanks for the kind words, but you may have me mixed up with someone else. I will enjoy the ride.

      Delete
  6. That's right! Keep on writing. Don't give up. The world needs your stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks, Tyrean. What a nice thing to say.

      Delete
  7. I feel like I started this week and this month on the wrong note, but now I'm picking things up late this week. We need to be persistent and work hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the month is getting better for you, Medeia. You're right. When things go wrong, hang in there, don't give up. Success is just around the corner.

      Delete
  8. Congrasts on the contract , Wonderful news Beverly.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just laughed out loud because my edits are very literally lost in the mail. I think they sent them to my old address, although I sent my new address over when I moved. So now they're going to have to resend them! For some reason copyedits are still done through the postal system...not sure why!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I guess the best way to look at the situation is with laughter, since there's not a lot you can do about it. I hope the edits arrive at your new address soon. Mmm, the publisher must have a reason for using the postal system. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  10. Congrats to the Rangers! However, I can assure you that it's not just you. We all worry and stress and fret and it's what makes us try that much harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Robert. The stress is part of the business. And you're right. It makes us more determined to succeed.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations! And very cool about liking the rough sketch of the cover. Great lesson here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shannon. It is nice to get to see the early sketch, and I was even asked my opinion. That's awesome.

      Delete
  12. I'm a Ranger fan. Sorry they messed up, but they got in the playoffs. Congrats on moving on with your wonderful YA books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they did better than anyone expected. I feel sorry for Hamels, though. He pitched a super game, but those three errors one right after the other cost them the game. Thanks. I'm almost finished with edits. Found some places where I thought - what was I thinking? :)

      Delete
  13. I love when teams, writers, or anyone takes me by surprise. Hard work pays off and it is great to remember that. So many places to keep our inspiration alive! Seeing the beginning sketch must have been so exciting. How awesome that they even asked for your thoughts. :)

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Jess. And the harder we have to work to reach our goals, the more we appreciate it when we succeed, at least that's true for me.
      Yes, I think it's great that the publisher wants me to be happy with the cover. Almost finished with edits. Fingers crossed.

      Delete