Wednesday, October 14, 2015

EDITS AND SCHOOL VISITS

It's Wednesday, Oct. 14, already. This month is flying past. It's a busy month for me. How about you? I suppose from now until the end of the year will be hectic. Isn't the fall season fun?

I'm behind on my reading and reviewing. One day I'll catch up. So today I have only a few things to post about, instead of reviews and cover reveals and such.

First, working on edits for my forthcoming YA novel. They're due next week. There aren't as many as I expected.

The cover is looking good. Can't wait to show it to everyone.

Second, I've also scheduled a school visit for November. It's been a long time since I did that. Need to prepare my presentations. Need to order books, waiting for the order forms to come back so I'll have the books for the visit. I'm a bit, no a lot, nervous. What if no one wants a book? What if the kids are bored? Any advice is appreciated. I've been scanning the Internet and found some really good information. This is an elementary school, so the books I'm talking about are my middle grade books.

Third, I'm selling (I hope) books at a craft show later this month.

Fourth, My Sunday School has our department meeting this month, and my Sunday School class has our class meeting this month. My Saturday's are full.

That's my exciting life.

Happy Reading!


20 comments:

  1. I love school visits. My advice is to be animated as much as possible. They thrive on your energy. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a school visit with a woman who was a pro at it recently and I noticed the biggest thing she did was involve the audience. TONS of questions and at one point she brought volunteers up. It was pretty clever, especially for younger kids who get bored easily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Involve the audience. Makes sense, Stephanie. Kids can't sit still for long.

      Delete
  3. Wow. It sounds like you've got your plate full! I'm with Kelly. It's all about engaging them and being excited, but I also love interactive activities--getting their brains engaged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Crystal. I'll see what I can find for grades 3 - 5. I've taught those grades years ago, but times have changed and today's children have so much new stuff. Must get up to date. :)

      Delete
  4. Good luck with all, Beverly! Looking forward to reading your new book:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin. It's supposed to be out in March.

      Delete
  5. I can relate to the business of the fall season too! Can't believe it is already the middle of October. The rest of the year is getting booked up and is pretty busy for me too. Good luck with your edits and everything else. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine you are busy, Jess, with your book coming out in December. I'm looking forward to reading it. That's so exciting. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. I always do the inter-active presentation too. Editing sentences where they give stronger words than 'walk' or come up front to hold the 'illustrations' of a made-up story. The kids love to make their classmates shift around to put the story in better order.

    I booked a signing at a real live book store in November down in California. I'm TOTALLY nervous. Like you I worry that no one will want a book! Or even show up! Good luck <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like fun, Kai. Thanks, I'll try something with the kids. Good luck with your book signing. Real live book stores are exciting. Here's to a successful sighing with lots of people buying your books.

      Delete
  7. Lots of good things going on. :) I can't wait to see your cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an exciting time, Medeia. I haven't done much promoting lately, must do better. The cover is coming along nicely from what I've seen. It's different to anything else I have.

      Delete
  8. I can definitely appreciate being busy this month. It feels like it will never end. On the flipside, you won Lexa's giveaway! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did win, Robert. The books are on my computer, ready to put on my iPad to read. October is a good time to read them, I think, because they look spooky.

      Delete
  9. What an exciting schedule. Looking forward to your cover reveal! My tip, don't forget to breathe deeply before heading through the school doors. You will do wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will keep me out of trouble for sure, Donna. Breathe deeply. Gotcha. I hope you're right.

      Delete
  10. That IS an exciting life, Beverly! Yay for the minimal edits and for the upcoming school visit. I hope you sell a lot of books at the craft show, and that you have a nice time at the Sunday school meeting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lexa. It would be great to sell a lot of books. That hasn't happened, so far, but there's always hope, right? The Sunday school meeting was fun. I dressed as a cowgirl, boots and all. Edits are almost done. Ready for a new week. Have a good one.

      Delete